I usually make homemade salsa using fresh tomatoes, even better when they are straight from the garden. However, in the winter months there’s no garden to pick fresh tomatoes from and the tomatoes available from the grocery store are mediocre at best. So I decided to use canned tomatoes (Red Gold is my brand of choice), the ingredients I usually use in my fresh tomato salsa, and my food processor. Boy am I glad I did!
I made this salsa about half an hour before dinner. By the time dinner was ready half the salsa was gone and I was still fighting off hungry family members! They wouldn’t stay out of the kitchen. Of course, it didn’t help that after I taste tested it myself I let everyone else have some too. There was nothing left to save for the next day. The beauty of it was that it was fast and tasted great, a definite keeper in this house!
I prefer the flavor of Red Gold for my canned tomatoes. You can use whatever brand you like or use your own homemade canned tomatoes (I haven’t become a good enough gardener for that yet, but I’m getting there!).
Layer ingredients and run through your food processor! This is one of the easiest food processor recipes you will ever make.
Serve with your favorite taco recipe or tortilla chips.
You can also use this salsa in this fabulous hot fiesta dip, great for Game Day!
- 1 14-oz can Red Gold tomatoes (whole or chopped)
- 4 oz can green chiles
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 5 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- garlic salt (to taste)
- freshly ground black pepper (4 or 5 turns or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Layer ingredients in the food processor in the order they are listed.
- Pulse a few times to get the ingredients mixed together. You can continue using the pulse feature if you like your salsa a little chunky. I process mine for about 30-45 seconds or until it looks good.