I love deep fried appetizers, even if I don’t make them often. I’ve always loved jalapenos, so making deep fried jalapeno slices has long been on my list of things to make. With the big game coming up I knew I wanted to try something new. These fried jalapeno appetizers are amazing and I can’t wait to make them again on the big day!
Deep Fried Jalapeno Slices
Tailgating is a big thing, but I’m a “homegater”. I prefer to watch the big game with friends from the comfort of my living room. But I’m always looking for homegating recipes, just like these fried jalapenos.
I served these with some Ranch dressing as well as some Monterey Jack flavored cheese sauce. If you’re serving these for the big game or other party, you’ll probably want to at least double and probably triple the recipe! They are that good.
When I made these, I drained and dried the jalapeno peppers. They were already the hot variety, so leaving the juice on and mixing it into the batter probably would have made them even hotter. So if that’s your preference, by all means do that!
Make enough, especially if you are homegating. having a party means hungry guests, so you can double or triple this recipe. You can print it below.
Mezzetta has a large variety, I made mine with “hot” but they also have “tamed”. Check your grocery store!
Enter the Homegating Sweepstakes hosted by Mezzetta. The Grand Prize is a 55” 4K LED TV plus the Mezzetta Homegating Party Pack including Mezzetta branded football, blanket, pint glasses (4), cooler, party tray, cocktail napkins, and a jar each of Mezzetta Whole Golden Greek Peperoncini, Deli-Sliced Tamed Jalapeños, Deli-Sliced Mild Pepper Rings, Sliced Golden Greek Peperoncini, Roasted Bell Peppers and Deli-Sliced Roasted Bell Pepper Strips.
- 4 cups vegetable shortening (or vegetable oil)
- 1½ cups all purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup beer
- 16-oz jar Mezzetta sliced Jalapeno peppers, drained (about 2 cups)
- In deep fryer or cast iron Dutch oven, heat shortening to 365 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup of the flour, salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, eggs and beer. Mix until combined, set aside.
- Place remaining ½ cup flour in a zip top gallon plastic bag. Dry drained jalapenos on paper towels and add to the flour in the bag. Seal bag and shake to coat the peppers.
- Place floured jalapenos into the batter and stir gently to coat. Discard any remaining flour at the bottom of the bag.
- Lift battered jalapenos with a fork and gently drop (careful of back splash) into preheated oil. Cook until golden brown and crispy, about 2-4 minutes.
- Remove to paper towels and serve with your favorite dipping sauces.