Broccoli salad has been around a long time. I remember eating variations of it at office birthday parties and for special get togethers. Broccoli is one of my favorite vegetables, raw or cooked, it’s in my top ten. While I’ve made a Broccoli Slaw before, I’ve never actually made a broccoli salad, until this weekend.
We’ve had a very busy past few weeks. My oldest son was ill and we spent a lot of time devoted to that, and then this past weekend my daughter graduated from high school. I needed something I could throw together fast but would please the masses. We were having a small gathering after the graduation ceremony with family and friends and I had several dishes planned. I found Gayle’s Broccoli Salad on Jessie’s blog and knew it was just the thing!
I made a couple minor changes, adjusting the amount of mayonnaise and adding in some mustard. I also added some cracked pepper and dried dill, changed out the type of cheese and used Tarragon vinegar instead of white. This is such an easy recipe and totally a crowd winner, everyone loved it! Thanks Jessie for a great recipe to add to my collection!
- ½ lb. bacon
- ½ cup Garlic and Onion Jack cheese, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced fine
- 1 head broccoli, 2 cups or more
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons brown spicy mustard
- 4 teaspoons Tarragon vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Dice bacon, cook and drain, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Cut broccoli into bite-size pieces and place into a large bowl. Add onion, cheese and bacon, toss. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat well.
- Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve.