Muffins with Nutella filling, doesn’t that sound fabulous? Well they are. In fact, when I told the boys that I had muffins with Nutella hidden inside, they dove on them. Each teenager ate 3 in one sitting. Needless to say these didn’t last very long!
I originally pinned this recipe to my Pinterest breakfast board. it’s from Damn Delicious. I made her recipe originally, see the photo above, which was very good. However, I think I messed up when I measured the sugar because the muffin itself was bland. Again, I’m pretty sure I mis-measured, but not completely positive.
So I decided to make them again and change things up just a little. I added 2 tablespoons of sugar to the original measurement, eliminated the nutmeg, and changed the topping to a cocoa and sugar mixture instead of cinnamon.
I also experimented with more Nutella. The additional Nutella was great, but the weight of a heaping teaspoon compared to a regular teaspoon made the Nutella sink down toward the bottom of the muffin. You can see that in these pictures.
I actually made three batches and used a tablespoon of Nutella in the other batch. Way too much, totally sank and stuck to the bottom of the muffin papers. Not good.
My only other change was to distribute the batter completely first, then add the Nutella and gently push it in. The original recipe states to divide the batter and sandwich the Nutella. I found my way easier, but either way will work just fine.
So for you, I give you my altered, tested and tested again recipe. No nutmeg, cocoa sugar and to keep that Nutella from sinking, just the right amount from the original recipe.
More Muffins with Nutella
Nutella Swirl Banana Muffins – Tastefully Julie
Strawberry Nutella Muffins – Two Peas and Their Pod
Self Frosting Pumpkin Nutella Muffins – Phemomenon
More Nutella Recipes
Nutella Filled Peanut Butter Criss Crosses – Amanda’s Cookin’
Nutella Peanut Butter Cookies - Amanda’s Cookin’
Nutella Swirl Cheesecake Ice Cream – Amanda’s Cookin’
Cocoa Sugar Crusted Muffins with Nutella Filling
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup PLUS 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 teaspoons Nutella
Cocoa Sugar Topping:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk together the milk, vegetable oil, egg and vanilla.
- Pour mixture over dry ingredients and stir using a rubber spatula just until moist.
- Fill muffin liners 3/4 full with batter. Add one heaping teaspoon of Nutella to the top of each one. Using the measuring spoon, dip the spoon into the batter then gently push the Nutella just below the surface. Swirl the batter around a bit to cover the Nutella.
- To make the topping, combine the cocoa and sugar and stir together well. Generously sprinkle each muffin with the cocoa topping until no batter is visible.
- Place into oven and bake for 15-18 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool in paint for five minutes. Gently lift each muffin with a spoon and tap once to knock off the excess cocoa sugar.
- Place muffins on on a wire rack to cool. Can be eaten warm or at room temperature. Caution, do not eat hot as the Nutella needs a little time to cool down.