English Trifle Cheesecake

I am British born, thus growing up we ate a lot of English meals and desserts. I have very fond memories of going to my aunt’s house every holiday as a child. She always had a table full of desserts, and one of those was English trifle. Between that and the lemon curd tarts, I’m not sure which was my favorite, but when I spotted this recipe that combined trifle and cheesecake I knew I had to try it.

This recipe calls for a 9″ round layer of yellow cake. You can use any yellow cake, even a box mix, and save the other layer for another cheesecake or just frost and serve. I chose to try a yellow cake recipe from The Joy of Cooking. That recipe made 3 yellow 9″ layers, but unfortunately the finished cake shrank away from the sides of the pan a bit, which made my cheesecake larger than the actual cake layers I used. You can see that in the photos, the cake should reach all the way through, but mine did not. It didn’t affect the flavor of course, and this was absolutely delicious.

This cheesecake didn’t last long. I made it on Friday and it was completely gone by Saturday afternoon and my husband was looking for more. I will definitely make this again, only next time I may just use a box cake mix unless I find a non-shrinking recipe before then. ;-)

English Trifle Cheesecake

5 eggs
1 tablespoons vanilla extract

Decoration:
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 tablespoons red raspberry preserves

Preheat oven 325 F. Butter bottom and sides of a 9″ springform pan.

Press half of the cake into the bottom of the springform pan. Brush cake with 1/2 pf the sherry. Spread 1/2 of the raspberry preserves all over the cake. Set aside.

Beat cream cheese and sugar on medium high speed until very smooth, about 3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla.

Pour half the batter over the top of the cake, smoothing out to sides of the pan. Place second cake layer on top and brush with sherry then spread with raspberry preserves. Pour remaining batter over the top and spread to sides, pan will be filled to top edge.

Bake for 50-55 minutes or until top is light brown and there’s a slight jiggle in the middle. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Cover with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator for at least 6 hours.

Before serving, top with whipped cream topping. To make whipped cream topping, beat heavy cream and powdered sugar with whisk attachment on medium high speed until still peaks form. Spread over top of cheesecake. To decorate, warm 2 tablespoons of raspberry preserves in the microwave and stir until smooth. Drizzle over top of cake. I put the preserves into a baggie and snipped off the corner of the bag to make the drizzling a little easier.

Did you enjoy this post? Why not subscribe to my feed, or better yet, to my free newsletter – Foodie in the Craftroom, which provides not only recipes but crafts from my other blog, Crafts by Amanda too!

NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit http://www.amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html

13 Responses to English Trifle Cheesecake

Kalyn says:

What a gorgeous cake!

Marie says:

Oh my Amanda, that looks fabulous! I know Todd would love this. I adore Trifle in any way shape or form! xxoo

Lauren Hairston says:

Yum! I love trifle and my husband is a cheesecake maniac, so this would be perfect for our house.

marla {family fresh cooking} says:

Amanda this cheesecake looks amazing! Please link it up to this weeks Get Grillin' and any other 2 desserts you might have for our round up would be awesome :)

Kathleen says:

Amanda this looks crazy GOOD!!!

Sanjeeta kk says:

The cheese cake look so delicate and gorgeous, Amanda! Love the frosting and the presentation, esp. that Raspberry drizzle :)

Cookin' Canuck says:

This is such a great idea, Amanda! English trifle made regular appearances at my family's table when I was growing up and I can only imagine how good it must taste when tucked inside a cheesecake.

Lyuba @ Will Cook For Smiles says:

Wow, this is beautiful!! Looks delicious!!! Love it!

Come see me at http://www.willcookforsmiles.com/

Six Sisters says:

This looks AMAZING! We would love for you to come share this at our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday" link party! http://sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com/2011/07/strut-your-stuff-saturday-week-2.html

Love,
    The Sisters @ sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com

BreAna {Sugar and Spice and All Things Iced} says:

Wow! I just found your blog today and I am so excited to follow your posts….I just signed up for the newsletter too. This looks so delicious! I wish I could have some right now!!

[...] are truly going to love me. Do you remember the English Trifle Cheesecake I posted a couple of weeks ago? Well this amazing Tiramisu Cheesecake follows the same basic [...]

[...] to try my cheesecake recipe! Except, I’m not sure which one. ;-) Sooo I picked a picture of my favorite cheesecake, and you can browse the cheesecake recipes [...]

[...] Everything I’ve tried has been a success, including this amazing Tiramisu Cheesecake, this fabulous Mandarin Orange Cheesecake and my favorite of all of them, this English Trifle Cheesecake. [...]