Beef Stir Fry with Tomatoes and Peppers

I’ve been experimenting a lot lately with stir fry recipes. Beef, chicken and pork are my proteins of choice, we don’t do much seafood here. I love how easy stir fry is and the different combinations of sauces, vegetables and meats are like picking out Garanimals. Anyone remember those? ;)

In my humble opinion, the best beef for stir fry is flank steak. So whenever you see it on sale, grab it and store it in your freezer until your ready to use it. Flank steak should be cut in thin strips against the grain. Depending on the width of the steak, I’ll cut it lengthwise first, into two or three slabs. Then I’ll cut each of those sections into strips.

Now you’re probably wondering why there are tomatoes in this dish. Actually, if you haven’t had tomatoes in a stir fry you don’t know what you’re missing! When I was a teenager I used get Pepper Steak from Don The Cantonese Chef in Deerfield, IL. His recipe includes beef, green pepper, onions, and tomato wedges in a delicious brown sauce. Yum! I haven’t had it in more than 25 years now, but just googled and found out he’s still around. Some day I’ll get back down there and order it again.

This particular recipe is something I created for dinner last week. I used orange and red bell peppers because my husband has reactions to the green ones. You could certainly substitute green if you prefer.

Beef Stir Fry with Tomatoes and Peppers

1 lb beef flank steak, sliced thin against the grain
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
2-3 tablespoons canola oil
1 small red bell pepper, cut into 1″ pieces (abbot 1/2 cup)
1 small orange bell pepper, cut into 1″ pieces (abbot 1/2 cup)
1 large, firm tomato, cut into 2″ chunks
6 scallions, cut into 1″ pieces
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon hot chili sesame oil

Always measure out all of your ingredients first when you are making a stir fry, all the way down to the oil.

Combine soy sauce and cornstarch, pour over meat. Mix to cover meat and set aside to marinate for 15 minutes.

Heat wok until flecks of water sizzle on pan surface. Add oil, swirl to coat the pan. Add garlic and ginger and quickly stir fry, about 30 seconds. Add meat and stir fry until no longer pink.

Add bell peppers and tomatoes to the meat in the wok, stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Add scallions and stir fry another minute.

Combine the oyster sauce, sugar and hot chili sesame oil until well combined. Add this sauce to the meat and vegetables in the wok. Stir to coat and bring to a boil. Turn heat down and simmer a minute or two, then serve over rice.

Incidentally, the pan you see below is my FAVORITE pan in the kitchen. It’s my ManPans wok. I use it for all my pasta and stir fry dishes and when I fry things too. LOVE it. You can read my review about it here.

12 Responses to Beef Stir Fry with Tomatoes and Peppers

Amelia's De-ssert says:

Your stir fry beef looks delicious

Corina says:

I love stir fries but never add tomato. I'll try it next time.

Veronica says:

Well, I've never had tomato in a stir-fry but I don't see why not–looks great! Sounds like a really good recipe, Amanda. :)

Erin says:

This looks saucy and delicious! I love stir frys, they are so fun to play around with!

Nutmeg Nanny says:

Looks yummy! Also the photos are great :)

WizzyTheStick says:

Saw this on tastespotting and just had to come over to tell you how good it looks!

Christine's Pantry says:

Beef stir fry looks wonderful. Perfect recipe! I'm following now. Thanks!

Cookin' Canuck says:

We love to make stir-fries and this one looks particularly good. I have never thought to add tomatoes, but am going to try that next time.

carrie says:

I love making stir fry's, they aren't to complicated to make and they taste great. I usually make a kung pao chicken stir fry. My family really likes it. But i will give give this one a try this week. thanks for the recipe ;)

[...] Beef Stir Fry with Tomatoes and Peppers – Made this numerous times. In fact, made this the other night and substituted some brown gravy sauce I found in the Oriental section of the grocery store. Fabulous! [...]

ManPans Stir Fry Wok Review by Amanda’s Cookin’ | ManPans says:

[...] are some recipes I have made in my ManPans wok: Beef Stir Fry with Tomatoes and Peppers (pictured) Cashew Chicken Black Pepper Beef in Peanut Sauce Peppercorn Pork Stir Fry Farfalle with [...]