Chocolate Gelato

Chocolate Gelato

I’ll admit, even though I’ve certainly heard the term “gelato” many times, I wasn’t quite sure what the difference was between it and ice cream. A very loose definition of gelato is “the Italian version of ice cream”. The main differences between the two are that gelato contains less butterfat than ice cream (it uses more milk and little to no cream) and it is churned less, resulting in less air in the mix and a more intense flavor. If intense chocolate is something you enjoy, then I highly recommend this chocolate gelato recipe!

I found this recipe on my friend Ewa’s blog, Delishhh. The moment I saw it I knew I wanted to try it, so it went right into my bookmarks. Then some food blogger friends and I got together and decided to try a fun new once a month challenge – we call it The Secret Recipe Club. The idea is that each participating blogger is assigned one of the other participating blogs (much like a Secret Santa, or Secret Sister Club). No one reveals whose blog they have, they just visit, pick a recipe, and make it! Well my assigned blog was Ewa’s so it wasn’t hard to decide what I wanted to make!

If you would like information on The Secret Recipe Club and would like to join in (you do have to have a blog with a decent number of recipes for others to choose from) you can click right here to read all about it and sign up!

I only made a couple of minor changes to this recipe, yet it was still rich, creamy and full of intense chocolate flavor! I had to reduce the amount of cocoa because I didn’t realize how low my stock was :( so I increased the bittersweet chocolate to make up for it. I also didn’t add in the chunked chocolate at the end. I prefer a smooth and creamy dessert. :) I also didn’t have Irish Cream on hand, so I used Amaretto. Absolutely wonderful, thank you Ewa!

Chocolate Gelato
Adapted from Ina Garten via Delishhh

2 1/4 cups whole milk
1/3 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup sugar, divided
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
4 extra-large egg yolks
2 tablespoon Amaretto
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Large pinch of kosher salt

Heat the milk, cream, and 1/2 cup of the sugar in a 2-quart saucepan, until the sugar dissolves and the milk starts to simmer. Add the cocoa powder and chocolate and whisk until smooth. Pour into a heat-proof measuring cup.

Place the egg yolks and the remaining 1/4 cup sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on high speed for 3-5 minutes, until light yellow and very thick. With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the hot chocolate mixture into the egg mixture. Pour the egg and chocolate mixture back into the 2-quart saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. A candy thermometer will register about 180 degrees. Don’t allow the mixture to boil!

Pour the mixture through a sieve into a bowl and stir in the Amaretto, vanilla, and salt. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the custard and chill completely.

Pour the custard into the bowl of an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer’s directions. Freeze in quart containers. Allow the gelato to thaw slightly before serving.

Did you enjoy this post? Why not subscribe to my feed, or better yet, to my free newsletter – Foodie in the Craftroom, which provides not only recipes but crafts from my other blog, Crafts by Amanda too!

NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit http://www.amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html

24 Responses to Chocolate Gelato

Cornelius the Pig says:

ooo i was just thinking of gelato! the newest bon appetit has a gelato recipe – but i was thinking that i really just wanted to make plain chocolate gelato… so this is perfect! thanks!

This sounds wonderful and I love that you used Amaretto. I love Amaretto, chocolate and Ice cream! LOL

Sue says:

This chocolate gelato recipe sounds really delicious!

Rebecca from Chow and Chatter says:

great gelato :-)

Tami says:

The gelato looks creamy and delicious. Amaretto could only make it better!

Nutmeg Nanny says:

Yum! I love chocolate gelato. My friend owns an ice cream shop and I just helped her make a big batch chocolate gelato. I can't get enough of the stuff! I'm so glad you put together this little event. I'm impatiently waiting to see who got me…hehe :)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet says:

I love the idea of your secret recipe club, how fun! This gelato looks amazing.

Kitchen Flavours says:

Love it…looks creamy and delectable….

The Food Hound says:

Oh my, this looks rich. DELICIOUSLY rich! And chocolatey! Yay!

danasfoodforthought says:

This is such an awesome event! I just signed up and can't wait to participate next time!

The gelato looks fabulous :)

marla says:

I will never forget the first time I tried gelato in Italy. It was chocolate. Then I move onto hazelnut. Now I am very much craving gelato :)

Kristen says:

I have never made a gelato, but love to eat them. It's nice to see that they aren't too terribly difficult to make. Thank you so much for hosting this new "club." It was so much fun!!

Carolyn says:

I love this idea! Many of my recipes are low carb but people could change them to make them regular recipes, or choose one of the regular recipes.

Delishhh says:

Amanda – I am away traveling but had to check what recipe someone did from my collection :) this is awesome. So glad you enjoyed it. And with amaretto yum!! Fabulous!!! I loved this secret recipe thing so much fun :)

Foodfreak says:

I love your presentation, and the recipe, yum – what could be more tempting than chocolate gelato :-)

Shelby says:

sounds divine…..and I love the amaretto in it! ;)

Suzanne says:

Another boozy recipe! I love it! Looks delicious and I could have used this when we had 96 degree temps a couple of days ago. :D

Deeba PAB says:

I'm sorry I'm SO LATE Amanda, but am still in the CPU battle. I've had my eye on this gelato at Delish and was so happy when you decided to make it. Looks delightful!

Sweet as Coco says:

You always have the most mouth watering posts, Amanda! This looks so good. The secret recipe club sounds fun!

[...] She’s from Sweden so make sure you check out some of her regional recipes too! Check out the recipe for the Chocolate Gelato on Amanda’s Cookin’ here. [...]

[...] as a way to try other recipes and help introduce our readers to each others’ blogs. After its inaugural post, we picked up quite a few new members and are now up to just under 50 participants! One of those [...]

Leslie says:

I am in the process of making this! It is chilling in the fridge now, awaiting the ice cream maker step. I subbed coconut cream for heavy cream and since I didn’t have cocoa powder or bittersweet I used unsweetened baking chocolate and upped the sugar slightly. I sure hope it comes out as good as yours looks!!