Making Freezer Pancake Dippers

In case your wondering why I didn’t put a melting pat of butter on top of this stack of fluffy pancakes and photograph some glorious syrup dripping down the side, it’s because I couldn’t. See I generally don’t make food just to take pictures of it. I just happen to take pictures of my food. :) These pancakes were destined for the freezer so my kids can make a hot breakfast before school in 2 minutes or less.

Most mornings my kids eat a bowl of cereal before heading off to school. My youngest is 12, so all four of them have been feeding themselves in the morning for a long time now. When they can reach into the freezer and pull out a big bag of pancake dippers and pop them in the microwave for two minutes it’s a real bonus.

I’ve done this with French toast as well, but pancakes are a lot easier to make, plus I use my master mix (homemade Bisquick) which I always have in the cabinet. Just add two cups of mix, 2 eggs and a cup of milk. These measurements will make five 5″ pancakes. Whisk it all together and fry up some fluffy pancakes. :) This is great for add-ins too, cinnamon being a favorite of ours.

Quick note too: Because of the baking powder in the master mix, the batter will thicken upon sitting. So don’t be tempted to add more dry mix because the batter seems thin at first, otherwise you’ll have a hard time pouring it!

After making your pancakes lay them out individually to cool.

After they cool you should freeze them for an hour or so, and the above picture illustrates why. See how the edges are all torn? NOW at this point, you can stack your pancakes, separating each one with a piece of waxed paper, and freeze them whole if you like. We prefer them cut up.

They cut a lot cleaner when they are frozen. I suppose that’s a little OCD.

I use a pizza cutter to cut them in half, the cut those halves in half, then turn 90 degrees and cut in half again.

Pile them on a cookie sheet and freeze for another hour or two. This way they are all individually frozen. So when you put them in the bag, they won’t stick together. Put them all into a freezer bag and pop them in the freezer.

To reheat, remove however many pieces you want and place them in a single layer on a plate. Microwave 2 minutes. You an serve with a little cup of syrup for dipping, or just drizzle the syrup over the pancake pieces. Whatever floats your boat. :)

Did you enjoy this post? Why not subscribe to my feed, or better yet, to my free newsletter – Foodie in the Craftroom, which provides not only recipes but crafts from my other blog, Crafts by Amanda too!

19 Responses to Making Freezer Pancake Dippers

Elisabeth says:

Yum! If I ever make enough to have leftovers….

That's why I make special batches just for freezing! LOL

Barbara Bakes says:

That's a gorgeous stack of pancakes. I don't know how you resisted pouring syrup all over it and gobbling it up!

Christina Reed says:

Looks good Amanda. We use a pizza cutter also to cut up pancakes, waffles, french toast, cheese quesadillas, toast and grilled cheese.

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

This is a great idea, Amanda. I usually skip breakfast because I'm in a hurry, maybe this way I can finally begin eating it!

Velva says:

This is a fabulous idea for kids during the week. I used to this for my older son in years passed-it works great. If only I knew about making dippers instead, of traditional cakes.

Very cool.

Velva

Culinary Cory says:

Super cute idea. I great way to alternative to cereal or oatmeal.

Nutmeg Nanny says:

Yum! What a perfect grab and go breakfast idea :)

Deeba PAB says:

Ever practical and smart Mama…love ya! Wanna live in your freezer!

Sue says:

Your pancakes look perfect. What a great idea to cut them up to save even more time! I'm with you on the pizza cutter:)

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen says:

Great idea!! Thanks for sharing.

Kitchen Flavours says:

That's kid friendly simple recipe on go….

Hi Amanda, This is a great idea, Having 2 Grandkid's every day & 1 want's Toast & dip & pancake's keep's us busy, so to do this ahead will help so much, wish i had thought of this before ,but am Happy you did & posted . Thank You.. Jackie Theisen

This is a great idea and one my daughter would love me to do! She's always in a hurry in the morning!

Joanne's Place says:

Great idea, my youngest is 12 also, same deal-cold cereal. He will love this, he loves carrot in the pancakes so it's almost healthy.
    Thanks!

We've got leftover pancakes in the fridge. I always just leave them in there until no one has eaten them and then I throw them away a week or so later.
    I have a hard time getting the kids to eat much breakfast, but they like those dipping Eggos, which I may have only bought once or twice. I'll have to try this with the ones I've got in the fridge right now.

I love stuff like this! I really need to start taking the time to make thing like this! So much better than store bought!

[...] whether it be to have some homemade granola they can take with them or to stock the freezer with frozen pancake dippers and French toast, I’m going to do it. I’ve even taught them all how to quickly make a [...]

[…] I got the inspiration off Pinterest. Here is the site if you want the instructions: Amanda’s Cookin’: Making Freezer Pancake Dippers […]