Cherry Almond Cake in a Cast Iron Skillet

Are you the kind of person who can’t eat an ice cream sundae without the cherry on top? Well, that’s me all over. I love maraschino cherries, or any cherry for that matter, so this cake was just perfect for me. My first attempt at this failed as I tried it in a loaf pan in pound cake fashion. The edges and the bottom burned. However, baked in a more shallow vessel, like my cast iron skillet, and this sweet cake baked up to perfection.

I never thought I would say this, but this cake does not require any icing, powdered sugar or glaze. There’s enough sweetness in this moist cake that you really won’t want it, but you can certainly drizzle a little on like I did above, if it makes you feel better. :)

Note: Learn from my mistakes. One of the reasons this cake failed the first time was because the white chocolate chips sank and burned on the bottom. I changed from white chocolate chips to a higher quality white chocolate cut into chunks and lightly tucked under the top of the batter.

Definitely pretty with its pink interior, and gorgeously rustic on the outside, this cake is sure to be a cherry loving crowd pleaser.

Cherry Almond Cake in a Cast Iron Skillet

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained, reserve juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
4 oz quality white chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup sliced almonds

Grease a 9-10″ inch cast iron skillet (mine is 9 3/4). Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.

In mixer at medium speed, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Your reserved cherry juice should measure 1/2 cup. If it’s short, add water to reach 1/2 cup. Add the almond and vanilla extracts to the 1/2 cup juice.

Add the flour mixture alternately with cherry juice mixture, beat on low until homogenous. Cut the cherries in half and fold into the batter.

Pour batter into prepared skillet and sprinkle the chopped white chocolate on top. Gently swirl the batter a bit just enough to cover the chocolate. You don’t want the chocolate to sink. Sprinkle top of batter with the sliced almonds and bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes then carefully invert and cool on a wire rack.

You can return the cake to the skillet to serve if you like, or serve on a cake plate.

Optionally you can drizzle with a simple powdered sugar glaze, but this cake is really sweet enough on its own not to need it.

Did you enjoy this post? Why not subscribe to my feed, or better yet, to my free newsletter – Foodie in the Craftroom, which provides not only recipes but crafts from my other blog, Crafts by Amanda too!

NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit http://www.amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html

21 Responses to Cherry Almond Cake in a Cast Iron Skillet

Micha @ Cookin' Mimi says:

That looks so good. I've made cakes in slow cookers but never a skillet, but there is always a first time.

Sue says:

Beautiful job, Amanda!

Nutmeg Nanny says:

I cannot even begin to tell you how amazing this cake looks. I never think to use my cast iron skillet as a baking vessel. I really should. Your cake turned out amazing.

April says:

Oh yea! I have a cast iron skillet coming in the mail anyday now!

MaryBeth says:

I would have never thought to cook cake in a cast iron pan…great idea and of course it looks fabulous also!

Cookin' Canuck says:

I love the idea of baking the cake in a cast iron pan. I'll bet it gives it a beautiful crust.

Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

I think everything tastes better in a cast iron pan! :) I'm all about the crunchy crust! I love the gorgeous pink!

Marie says:

Amanda, that cake looks wonderful!! I am putting it on my to bake list! xxoo

clauidia lamascolo says:

I have made only cornbread with blueberries in my pan this is lovely I got to try this… I make mine on the burner outside on my grill. So doing this in the oven will be a treat and thanks for that tip with the chocolate it happens all the time with any cake or breads I make I will always remember that from now on…thank you! This is so pretty!

Tiffany @ Eat at Home says:

Oh wow! I wasn't expecting marachino cherries, but that sounds delicious.

Mary says:

Love baking with my cast iron… THIS looks phenomenal!

Great blog; happy I found you!

Mary xx
    Delightful Bitefuls

Barbara @ Modern Comfort Food says:

I don't live in cherry country, but I sure do love them. Instead of sneaking marachinos from that big jar I keep in the fridge I really should use them for this sensational cake, Amanda. Looks delicious, as always!

Thanks everyone, truly a delicious cake!

And such a pretty little cake. I know I would love this, almond flavor with cherries, yes please!

girlichef says:

Oh my gosh, this looks amazing. I love cherries…they're my favorite fruit. Plus, the pink tint is too pretty to resist =)

Deeba PAB says:

Love love love the cake Amanda…full of rustic charm and goodness. Will have to wait for cherries to arrive! YUM!!

marla says:

Amanda, you are right. This cake is sure to be a pleaser. I must get a cast iron skillet for baking goodies like this cake. Great baking tips.

DessertForTwo says:

I love baking in a cast iron skillet! Thanks for a new recipe to try in it :)

The Food Hound says:

Yikes, don't have a cast-iron skillet, but I could find a substitute to make this gorgeous confection! Love cherries and almonds together!

Meaghan Luby says:

now i need to get a skillet, ha! i love thisssss! i had this and a couple other recipes bookmarked to go back to and just say how much i lovvvvve it! ha, thank you for sharing!
    -meg