Mochaccino Pudding

The original recipe for this is for mini puddings, which would make 12 servings. I decided to just make 6 larger puddings, but really twelve smaller dishes would have worked well too. This rich and creamy pudding has a strong coffee flavor, so if you prefer subtle, you’ll want to cut the espresso powder measurement down a bit. But if you’re like me and love that mocha flavor, then these mochaccino puddings will be right up your alley!

The original recipe is from Woman’s Day, though I actually received it through a recipe email group I am a member of. Far too often these recipes are posted without attribution, so I like to make sure I provide the source whenever I can. Here’s the original recipe for mini mochaccino puddings on Woman’s Day. Theirs are garnished with ground cinnamon, while I chose to dust with cocoa powder. Either way they are rich and marvelous!

Mochaccino Pudding
adapted from Woman’s Day

4 cups milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1 Tbsp instant espresso powder
1/8 tsp salt
8 oz bittersweet chocolate, broken up
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Garnish: unsweetened cocoa

Whisk milk, sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, espresso powder and salt in a large saucepan until blended. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often with a whisk and making sure to reach into corners of saucepan.

Boil 1 minute, whisking, until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate and vanilla until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.

Pour into 6 dessert cups. Cover with wax paper; refrigerate at least 1 hour or until firm.

Beat cream, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until very soft peaks form. Add dollops on top of pudding. Stir cocoa through a strainer to garnish.

(If you enjoyed this post, I’d truly appreciate a stumble, Digg, facebook share, whatever you like! :) )

NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit http://www.amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html

16 Responses to Mochaccino Pudding

Jennifurla says:

I love a coffee dessert after several courses and glasses of wine. Perfect fit.

Buckeye Mom says:

Amanda,
    Where do you purchase your instant espresso powder? I have been having trouble locating it have several recipes like yours that I am anxious to try.
    Thanks!

@Buckeye Mom – I honestly can't remember, but just a local grocery store. If you don't have instant espresso, you can substitute instant coffee granules, just put them into a baggie first and roll them with a rolling pin to reduce the size of the granules :)

Chandeen @ Designed by Chance says:

That looks good :)

Sue says:

This looks so rich and yummy! I love your little trifle dishes~so cute!

Deeba PAB says:

Right up my street Amanad…yum yum yum!

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

These look awesome. I love coffee, so adding it is pure genius :)

Lauren at KeepItSweet says:

I am a big mocha fan! Individual desserts are always fun to serve.

MessyMissy says:

Oh, say it ain't so. That look delicious!! I would love it if you link up to my party, A Marvelous Mess. I will be picking one project to feature on the sidebar of my blog for a week!! Here is the link:

Scribbler says:

This looks so good — I shared it FB and I am saving it — cannot wait to try it.

Micki says:

New to the site. Must come back to see all. Can't wait to try this…it looks delicious and I love coffee and chocolate so I know I'll love it. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Shelby says:

What a perfect finale to dinner this would have been! Looks so good!

I would prefer the 6 servings size too!;)They look terrific.

Lisa says:

wow, how elegant and delicious! Looks fabulous!

Allison @ Alli 'n Son says:

This is screaming my name! I'm addicted to chocolate.

I'd love to have you share this recipe with Sweet Tooth Friday! http://alli-n-son.com/2011/02/24/cream-cheese-brownies/