Master Mix (Homemade Bisquick)

There are lots of master mix recipes out there, this just happens to be the one I use. The measurements for this make enough to fit into a plastic cereal container. You can double this or even triple it to have a larger amount on hand. This is great for pancakes, especially for teenagers who are hungry NOW. ;) You can use this in any recipe calling for Bisquick or homemade Bisquick (i.e. biscuits, dumplings, pancakes, cobblers, etc).

For pancakes simply combine 2 cups master mix with 2 eggs and a cup of milk. For biscuits, combine 2 1/4 cups master mix and 2/3 cup milk. Combine, roll, cut, bake at 450 F for 8-10 minutes. Use this mix for any recipe calling for Bisquick.
Try my Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins using this master mix!
Master Mix (Homemade Bisquick)
4 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 cup powdered milk
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/4 cup baking powder
1 cup vegetable shortening
Whisk together all of the dry ingredients. Place half of the dry mixture and half of the shortening into a food process. Process until combined. Repeat for second half of ingredients. Combine both batches in a big bowl and work with your hands, breaking up any larger pieces.
Store in a covered container and use within a month. To measure, use the same scoop and level method you would use with regular flour.

Note: In hot weather, especially if your kitchen is not air conditioned, mix should be kept in the refrigerator.

Did you enjoy this post? Why not subscribe to my feed, or better yet, to my free newsletter – Foodie in the Craftroom, which provides not only recipes but crafts from my other blog, Crafts by Amanda too!

Tags: ,

18 Responses to Master Mix (Homemade Bisquick)

Frieda says:

I love master mixes as well! Make sure you use INSTANT non fat milk powder, not the regular powdered milk. Makes a difference ~ the regular milk powder does not dissolve as easily.

I Read ur Blog, could u explain to me what is "vegetable shortening" mean, I'm from manila

I did a quick google search for shortening in Manila and found this, hope it helps! http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070815032343AAOZDbA

DIY: Make Your Own Kitchen Favorites says:

[...] love banana bread and one of my favorite quick recipes actually calls for Bisquick.  I found a homemade Master Mix version that I am looking forward to [...]

[...] cup milk1/3 cup packed brown sugar2 tablespoons canola oil1 egg2 cups Master Mix3 tablespoons cocoascant 1/2 cup quick cooking oats or instant chocolate oatmeal1 cup chocolate [...]

Alyse says:

What is the benefit to making your own?

Rhonda says:

How long do you bake and on what temperature do you bake or biscuits?

Chloe says:

If you add a couple of teaspoons of cream of tarter it gives the illusion of buttermilk if you dont have powdered buttermilk to use instead of instant milk.
    I love master mixes and have a hard time finding one that I liked but this is a good mixture. My family is allergic to soy so we can’t buy a lot of store bought mixes and things, so I have to buy special shortning and everything!
    Thanks for sharing!!

[...] done this with French toast as well, but pancakes are a lot easier to make, plus I use my master mix (homemade Bisquick) which I always have in the cabinet. Just add two cups of mix, 2 eggs and a cup of milk. These [...]

Catherine Gerwel says:

what I am trying to make is custard pie my recipe calls for 2 cp of milk
    3/4 cup sugar,1/2 cup biscuit mix, 4 eggs,1/4 margarine,1 1/2 tsb vanilla
    combine all in Blender for 3 minutes pour in gresed 9inch pie pan . let stand 5 minutes if you like sprinkle coconut on top. we don’t like coconut so I never put it on. bake at 350 for 40 minutes. it is really good. so I guess I will try it from scratch will let you know how it turns out. if any of you do it let me how yours comes out.

Regina says:

This also fits perfectly in a 1/2 Gallon Size Mason Jar for storage. To get more of a buttermilk flavor you can use 3/4 cup of dry Buttermilk and 1/2 cup dry powdered milk instead of 1 1/4 cup dry powdered milk.