Sour Cream ‘n’ Chive Biscuits

If you are looking for a change of pace from the same old biscuit, these sour cream and chive biscuits are the perfect solution. They taste great, are easy to make and can be whipped up 20 minutes before dinner hits the table. I’m personally not a biscuit person, I prefer rolls, but I really liked these!

These are easy to make, but probably the biggest mistake that people make when making biscuits is overworking the dough. You need a really light hand, work the dough only enough to make things come together. When mixing the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients together, use a fork instead of a spoon. I cut mine into squares with a pizza cutter so I wouldn’t have to gather any scraps from using a biscuit cutter. Gathering the scraps means you have to work the dough back together and those ones just won’t be as good as the first set. Just remember not to overwork the dough, no one wants to eat hockey pucks. :)

Sour Cream ‘n’ Chive Biscuits
adapted from Taste of Home

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup minced chives

Preheat oven to 350 F.

In a large bowl or in a food processor, combine dry ingredients. Cut in or process shortening into the dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Remove mixture from food processor and place in a large bowl. With a fork, stir in sour cream, milk and chives until the mixture forms a ball.

On a lightly floured surface, gently knead five to six times. Roll to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a 2-in. biscuit cutter, or cut into squares with a pizza or pastry cutter. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.

Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

Yield: 12-15 biscuits.

(If you enjoyed this post, I’d truly appreciate a stumble, Digg, facebook share, whatever you like! :) )

NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit http://www.amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html

9 Responses to Sour Cream ‘n’ Chive Biscuits

Elle says:

I do the same thing when cutting biscuits! I hate re-rolling scraps, and like you said–the dough will get over worked. Nice-love the flavor combo!

Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

I love the idea of cutting the biscuits into squares! Who cares if they're square as long as they aren't tough and dense!

The Food Hound says:

I bet these are tender and delicious! I think you're brilliant using a pizza cutter for square biscuits– now that I know I can make them without all the rolling and cutting, I'll make them more often. I am TOTALLY a biscuit girl :)

Leslie says:

These look amazing Amanda! There is nothing worse than overworked dough leading to a hard as a rock biscuit!

Tia says:

mmm chives!
    I made biscuits/scones today too, but mine are much unhealthier, lol, loaded with cheddar. have a great weekend~

MaryBeth says:

These look amazing, they would be great with a big bowl of hot steamy soup to dunk them in.

Cookin' Canuck says:

These would be perfect to dunk into a bowl of soup. Or I'll bet they would work well as a sandwich – a little ham and cheese slipped inside.

Maria says:

Great biscuit recipe!

Heather says:

These look amazing. I will try them next time I make soup. I am having a link party featuring bread recipes made from food storage ingredients. I would love it if you would link up.