Peppered Pork Chops

These Peppered Pork Chops have a little bit of a bite due to the cracked pepper, but the sauce adds great flavor and mellows the bite a bit. I served this with steamed brussel sprouts and flavored rice. Everyone loved it, especially my husband. I used green onions where this recipe called for leeks, but I bet it would be awesome with shallots too. I just used what I had on hand.

While I have been menu planning in the background all along, I’ve decided to make myself more accountable by joining in on Menu Plan Monday. Last night’s dinner, Peppered Pork Chops was a recipe I adapted from Cooking Light Complete Meals in Minutes. I’ve been really happy with this book so far. I’ve made quite a few recipes from it, including the popular Hot Fiesta Dip. These pork chops are no exception, full of flavor and easy to make.

The original recipe called for leeks, pears, and using white wine and pear brandy in the sauce. I adapted it to fit my needs, but like I said above, I really think shallots would be good in this. I almost always use vermouth where white wine is called for, so I subbed that too. I’ll be trying the shallots next time. :)

Peppered Pork Chops
adapted from Peppered Pork and Pears

4-5 pork loin chops, thin cut
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1 teaspoon butter
1 cup thinly sliced green onion
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup vermouth
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves

Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle pork chops with pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Add pork chops to pan and cook a few minutes on each side until nicely browned. Remove from pan and keep warm.

Add butter and green onion to pan and turn heat down to medium. Cook, stirring constantly, for about two minutes. Add broth, vermouth, thyme and salt. Raise heat and bring to a boil. Reduce for a few minutes so that sauce thickens. Return pork chops to the pan and cook through, turning occasionally.

(If you enjoyed this post, I’d truly appreciate a stumble, Digg, facebook share, whatever you like! :) )

13 Responses to Peppered Pork Chops

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme says:

Now this is just the kind of recipe that we'd really enjoy at our house. Peppery, onion-y pork chops. Yum! I really need to get a copy of that cookbook, Amanda.

Jill says:

This sounds really delicious! I'll have to try this soon. Thanks for sharing :)

Jennifurla says:

easypeasy, looks like a great weeknight meal.

Meaghan Luby says:

okay, so, these pork chops look AWESOME but i am even more excited for your brussle sprout appearance! what an underrated food item!

where can i get the book again?

love your blog! thanks for posting
    -meg
    @http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com
    @http://myscribblednotebook.blogspot.com

Hi Meaghan! Thanks about the brussel sprouts, I LOVE them. All I do with those is but the frozen one then toss some in a bowl, and a few drops of water, cover with plastic wrap and microwave. I sprinkle with salt and enjoy, nothing else. Love! There's a link to the book in the post also, but here it is:

Nutmeg Nanny says:

Yum! I love the flavors on these pork chops. I would be all over them… :)

Lindsey says:

Wow, these look great and easily adaptable! I'll certainly be making these next time pork chops go on sale :-) Thanks for the recipe!

Mmm. When I saw your menu plan and that it included pork chops, I decided to have those, too. Too bad I didn't see this first (we had them last night). I used a recipe found on Simply Recipes for Elise's Mom's Pork Chops. They were also good, but we would have liked a sauce with them, too.
    Freaky also, Amanda, we just had brussel sprouts, too. (And we really only have both of those a couple times a year.)

Cajun Chef Ryan says:

Okay, just ate lunch, now I want a plate of these succulent pork chops!

marla says:

Love all those specks of pepper in these chops! Great looking meal Amanda :)

Leslie says:

What a lovely simple recipe for pork. I am always looking for new ways to cook up pork

Delishhh says:

YUM YUM! I don't know i have not done this simple recipe before. I need to get some pork chops this weekend. Great recipe!

[…] Peppered Pork Chops from Amanda’s Cookin […]