Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins

I love orange flavored sweet treats. Muffins, cookies, cake, cheesecake, you name it, I love it. Chocolate chips rock my world too, so when I saw this muffin recipe on Family Circle’s website, I knew I wanted to make them. I’ve had them bookmarked for quite a while, but was reminded of them when someone posted them on a recipe discussion group I’m on. One bite is full of wonderful orange flavor, and no electric mixer required!

I don’t usually bake early in the morning, but for some reason this morning I just felt like it. So at 7:00 AM I was preheating the oven and measuring flour. By 8:00 AM I was taking a bite of one of these wonderful little gems!

A mini story about the bowl in the photo. I have a very dear neighbor who is often the brunt of my cooking and baking experiments. I deliver treats to them on a fairly regular basis. I made a personalized monogram frame for them for Christmas. When I delivered it, she sent me home with a bowl of her wonderful cranberry relish. It’s been a tradition of mine for many years not to return a dish empty, always fill it with something new. And so this morning I will be delivering these yummy muffins in her bowl. :)

TIP: Remember, muffins will become tough if you over mix them. When a recipe says to mix just until moistened, do it. Resist the urge to continue stirring as you will run the risk of causing the gluten in the flour to develop, which will cause the batter to get stringy. The perfect muffin batter will be to the point where the flour and wet ingredients are just combined, the batter is lumpy, and there may be bits of flour poking through. Perfect. :)

Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins
recipe credit Family Circle Magazine, October 2004 issue

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
3/4 cup mini-chocolate chips

Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat just the bottoms of 12 standard-size muffin cups or line with muffin-cup liners.

In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In medium-size bowl, whisk eggs, milk, juice, sugar, oil and zest; stir in 1/2 cup of the chips. Make a well in flour mixture; pour in egg mixture. Stir until dry ingredients are just moistened.

Spoon 1/4 cup batter into each muffin cup. Sprinkle remaining chips on top. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Remove pans to wire rack to cool 5 minutes. Remove muffins from pan; cool completely on wire rack. Makes 12 standard muffins.

Note: For 36 mini muffins, prepare 3 mini-muffin pans as above. Spoon slightly rounded tablespoon into each cup. Bake in a 400 degree for 13 minutes. Makes 36 mini muffins. (Nutrition Facts are for 1 standard muffin.)

(If you enjoyed this post, I’d truly appreciate a stumble, Digg, facebook share, whatever you like! :) )

NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit http://www.amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html

25 Responses to Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins

Blog is the New Black says:

These sound awesome- love the combo of orange and choc! Happy new year.

Chef E says:

This is truly inspiring! Now to make something for all my neighbors who miss my sample making for them! Happy New Year, and I wish I had one of these!

Debbie Caraballo says:

These do sound delicious, love it, and thank you!

Shelby says:

These look awesome. I am a muffin girl for sure. I also wish I was your neighbor! Happy New Year Amanda!

Katie @ This Chick Cooks says:

These sound delicious. I love the idea of orange and chocolate.

Jelly Bean Books says:

Jaffa is one of my favourite combinations – thanks so much for sharing this recipe, the muffins look delicious! ~ Christine

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme says:

I've always loved the combination of orange and chocolate so I'm pretty sure these are going to be a bit hit around here! Great recipe.

Chris says:

Sounds and looks yummy!

I just made the Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins, WOW!!!! We have fresh oranges and Tangelos, so I used the combo juice we just squeezed. Talk about good, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JoAnn

Maria says:

I love orange and chocolate together!

JoAnn – So glad you liked them as much as I did! I loved how much the orange flavor shone through!

Almost Like Moms says:

I love the orange and chocolate combo too. I made these and they were a huge hit with my 3 boys. THANKS!

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

Ahh orange and chocolate! One of my favorite flavor pairings!

That's wonderful, so glad you liked them!

Tracy says:

One of the coffee shops in my town serves chocolate chip orange muffins and I could eat one everyday! So I googled to find a recipe & so glad I found your blog! I'm so excited to try these muffins this week.
    Following to keep the good recipes coming :)

Hi tracy, glad you found me! Hope you like them, I thought they were great!

Wow! Just made these ! The taste and look AMAZING !!! :) Love your name by the way ;)

[...] found this recipe I started with from Pinterest.  It was good.  However, I have learned what really makes [...]

Aishwarya says:

I’m writing this as I’m biting into a hot delicious muffin I had made after reading this. Thanks for the recipe. But how you got those perfectly smooth top surface is something that beats me. My muffins taste great but they had really bumpy surface (almost all my muffins I’ve so far baked ‘ve been like that. Wish I could make something like you did. *wistful*). Do you use an icecream scoop? Does that make a perceptible difference? Or does the placement of the oven rack have a say in this?

• 19.1

Hi Aishwarya. To be honest, it could be so many different things! Altitute, gas vs. electric oven, dark vs. non-stick pans, etc. I have an electric oven and use a Pampered Chef non-stick muffin pan. Other factors might include the batter itself, how long it’s mixed, etc. I wish I had a better response for you!

Aana says:

Wow. These Muffins rock. Nice and flffy, great orange flavor, just awesome all round. After trying so many that were not so great it was a blessing to finally come accross this recepie. Thank you :) Its going in my Book!

[...] adapted this recipe by Amanda and these muffins are soft and zesty, making them perfect for a cute summer [...]

[…] Recipe adapted from amandascookin.com […]