Shredded Chicken and Chile Enchiladas

I’m a definite lover of most chicken recipes, and adore Mexican recipes as well. When the two are combined that’s a major bonus for me. I love Mexican flavors, the spices and aromas, and chicken just rocks. A versatile recipe from Mexican fare is the enchilada. You can make it with a traditional red enchilada sauce, broth bases, ground beef, chicken, pork and of course, there’s shredded beef enchiladas. No matter how you make them they are a wonderful meal you can enjoy at any time of the year!

This recipe is part of my Mexican holiday menu that I submitted to the Breakstone’s Sour Cream Blogger Challenge. I have some tough competition, so I hope you’ll vote for my menu when the challenge opens on November 15th! By voting YOU will be entered to win cash prizes as well!

Now on to the enchiladas :) These were delicious, yet mild, not overly spicy. A great dish that kids will enjoy and those with sensitive palates will like too. You can make this ahead, all the way up to the part where you put them in the oven. Place the dish in the refrigerator then take out about half an hour before cooking to bring it to room temperature, then bake as directed. If you don’t have time to take it out early, simply add a little cooking time to compensate.

Note: For convenience factor and to save valuable time, I used a roaster chicken from the supermarket. Sam’s Club makes a rockin’ one! You can also make the chicken yourself or use leftover chicken, depending on how many you are serving. If making the chicken yourself, save time by cooking it in your pressure cooker. You can substitute the cheese for your favorite if you like. Also, if you do make the chicken yourself, use the stock that it creates in place of the canned stock in the ingredient list. :)

Chicken and Chile Enchiladas
adapted from my Shredded Beef and Chile Enchiladas

1 supermarket roaster chicken (about 4 cups shredded light and dark meat)
4 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 14-ounce cans chicken broth
2 4-ounce cans diced green chile peppers, undrained
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
8 oz Breakstone’s sour cream
2 cups shredded Kraft Mexican Style Cheddar Pepper Jack
8-10 8-inch flour tortillas

Preheat oven to 350 F. Remove meat from chicken and place it a warm dish, keep warm. Combine next 5 ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Maintaining heat, cook onion and broth mixture until it’s reduced by half, about 20 minutes. Add chicken to broth mixture and simmer for ten minutes to heat through. Remove chicken and onion with a slotted spoon. Reserve about one cup of the broth and discard the rest.

Rinse out the saucepan, then add to it the green chiles and the 1/4 teaspoon chili powder; cook about one minute or until heated through. Stir in flour. Cook and stir for one minute more. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup of the cheese.

Grease or spray a 13×9 baking dish; set aside.

Mic the onion and chicken mixture, if too dry, add a bit of the reserved broth mixture. Divide the shredded meat mixture among tortillas, placing meat mixture along one edge. Top with sour cream mixture and roll up tortillas (they will be full). Arrange in baking dish, seam side down. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes; uncover. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 1/2 cups of cheese. Bake uncovered, 10 minutes more, or until cheese is melted and enchiladas are heated through.

Try these tasty Quesados – a Mexican appetizer and finish off the meal with these delicious Mexican Chocolate Sour Cream Cupcakes with Dulce De Leche Frosting!

(If you enjoyed this post, I’d truly appreciate a stumble, Digg, facebook share, whatever you like! :) )

23 Responses to Shredded Chicken and Chile Enchiladas

Sue says:

I've been up for awhile and haven't had breakfast yet, and your enchiladas are REALLY making me hungry! They look so tasty! I love sour cream, especially with Mexican food!

briarrose says:

This looks amazing. I'm craving Mexican food again after looking at the photo. ;)

Julie says:

I could eat Mexican food everyday and I'd love to have some of these tonight!

Thanks everyone!

Cuando van a entender que las enchiladas se hacen con tortillas de maiz!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no usen de harina!!!!!!!!

I ran the anonymous comment above through Google Translate since I do not speak Spanish. It translates to "When going to understand that the enchiladas are made with corn tortillas !!!!!!!!!!!!!! do not use flour !!!!!!!!"

So in response I will say that I never said this was a recipe from Mexico, this is a recipe from my American kitchen. It's quite common for dishes from other countries and ethnic backgrounds to be "Americanized". Thank you for the feedback :) but I like them better with flour tortillas :) you are certainly welcome to use corn tortillas if you like!

Culinary Cory says:

Great recipe idea. This will be a nice way to use up leftover turkey after Thanksgiving.

laurag56 says:

My husband is from Mexico and he never complains if I make enchiladas with flour tortillas..he is happy someone is cooking! I think they are better that way…corn tortillas fall apart easily also. I will give your recipe a try..looks good!

Barb, sfo says:

Looks delicious! I've got some pork carnitas left over from a previous dinner. I think it will work well with this enchilada recipe. Of course, I'll be using the red sauce recipe that I got from you, which I make in double or triple batches and freeze.

Mags @ the Other Side of 50 says:

I definitely vote for the "Americanized" version. I like flour tortillas better than corn tortillas too. Looks delicious Amanda!

Lea Ann says:

Beautiful photo! I have a recipe similar to this and it's been years since I've made it. This looks delicious Amanda.

Thanks everyone! You are awesome :)

Gera @ SweetsFoodsBlog says:

Spanish – Español is my language and the translation is correct but it doesn’t matter – you can make a recipe as you want – this is called fusion cuisine…btw love that tortillas here also are with flour.

Cheers,

Gera

Char says:

This is what I want for dinner tonight! I have a very similar recipe that I had already put on my menu for the week, but I may try yours instead.

Enrique says:

I find that flour tortillas tend to get soggy sooner than corn tortillas. For a crunchier result corn tortillas are much better. It's important to quickly heat corn tortillas ,slightly oiled, over a dry saucepan. It's easier to roll them or fold them, and won't split.
    Enrique

Thank you Enrique, great advice! I happen to love corn tortillas, but my family is partial to flour. There's nothing better than a "street taco" with fresh steak and cilantro onion relish on a corn tortilla! YUM!

Enrique says:

I usually makr strips of sirloin mixed with mushrooms,caramelized fried onions and green salsa. Great real street tacos. Lots of cilantro!

anickh says:

do u ever fry your tortillas (before filling them?)

• 18.1
      Amanda Formaro says:

No I don’t usually. I’ll give it a try, but I don’t notice them being soggy without frying them either :)

Orquidea says:

I don’t know how to call these, but these are not enchiladas.
    Enchiladas are made of corn tortillas, sure, but they also are covered in sauce. Depending the sauce, the kind of enchilada. Sauces don’t have to be always spicy, though the name reccommends it. For example, mole enchiladas are made with a sauce called Mole, green enchiladas with a green sauce, red enchiladas with tomato sauce and so on.
    The tortilla is fried until soft, and then dipped in the sauce, then filled with the meat, and put in a dish, and if you want, again covered with more sauce, cheese (not cheddar, fresh cheese or if you will put them in the oven one that melts like manchego cheese or chihuahua cheese), lettuce, onion, avocado, and cream.
    If you don’t want to fry the tortilla, you can just fill them with the meat (or vegetables, cheese like panela cheese or cottage cheese), roll them until they are like tubes, cover them with enough sauce, cream and melting cheese, and put in the oven untill the cheese melts.

• 19.1

Thanks for that info! This recipe originates from an authentic Mexican enchilada recipe. While it doesn’t have a sauce on top, it is an enchilada. :)

[...] my Mexican Quesados appetizer and my Shredded Chicken and Chile Enchiladas for a complete [...]