Olive Oil Bread with Rosemary and Walnuts

It’s been a while since I baked any homemade bread. I don’t usually make it in the summer as it’s just too hot to be cranking up the oven. However, temps have cooled and I dug out the cookbook, The Mixer Bible, in search of something with yeasty goodness. I also had quite a bit of rosemary left in my garden that I wanted to use up. I had already made this delicious Lemon Rosemary Olive Oil Cake, so I knew this bread would be another winner.

The only change I made to this recipe was to use less walnuts. Not by choice, I just didn’t have as much on hand as the recipe called for. I had everything else, so I forged on, reducing the walnut measurement from 1.5 cups down to a scant cup.

This recipes makes two round loaves which I ended up having to bake separately. I was a little worried about that as I thought the second loaf might rise more than the other, but they both came out perfect. This bread was delicious and the rosemary flavor really shines through, and the added walnuts were fabulous. I highly recommend trying this as it was a rather easy recipe to make! It actually had a nice sfot crust and was easy to slice. Yum!

Olive Oil Bread with Rosemary and Walnuts
slightly adapted fromĀ The Mixer Bible Second Edition

3 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 package of active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water (between 105 and 115 F)
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon salt
1 – 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts, toasted
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened

Line 2 rimless baking sheets with parchment paper. Place clay tiles or pizza baking stones on oven rack and position oven rack in the lower third of the oven. You will need a spray bottle with water as well.

In medium bowl, whisk together both flours.

In the mixer bowl, stir together the yeast, water and sugar. Let stand and proof, about 5 minutes, until yeast begins to foam. Add oil, rosemary and salt. Using the paddle attachment, mix on speed 2 (medium low) until mixed well. Gradually add 3 cups of the flour mixture and mix just until a dough forms.

Remove paddle attachment and replace with dough hook. Set speed to 2 and knead the dough with the dough hook, adding 1/4 cup of flour at a time until the dough clings to the dough hook and just cleans the side of the bowl. Add the walnuts and knead tow minutes more, adding more flour if needed to keep the dough from sticking to the bowl.

Note: You may not need all the flour, so only add what’s needed to keep the dough from sticking to the bowl and save the rest to dust the counter with.

Form the dough into a ball. Return the dough ball to the mixer bowl and rub it with the softened butter. Cover bowl with greased plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm, draft free place until doubled, 1 – 2 hours.

Uncover the dough and punch it down several times. Form into a ball, turn over in the bowl, cover and let rise another hour.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half and form each into a smooth 5 inch round. Place onto prepared baking sheets and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until nearly doubled, 45 – 60 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 F.

Spray the loaves and the inside of the oven with water, place the baking sheets directly on the hot clay tiles. Remove the baking sheet, leaving the parchment and bread on the tile. Spray the loaves again in 2 minutes and then in 2 minutes again after that. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes, or until the loaves are golden (internal temp should be 200 F). Let cool completely on wire racks before slicing.

(If you enjoyed this post, I’d truly appreciate a stumble, Digg, facebook share, whatever you like! :) )

NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit http://www.amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html

19 Responses to Olive Oil Bread with Rosemary and Walnuts

buttersweetmelody says:

Mmmm I can smell these already! It sounds so good! I never thought about it, but walnut and olive oil is a great combination! Thanks for this one, got bookmarked it ;)

-Amalia

Mags @ the Other Side of 50 says:

That last picture? With the butter and the bite already taken out of it? I'd so grab that from you and not care that it already had your germs.

I just made oatmeal bread because I'd seen it on another blog and now I can see that I'm going to have to try this recipe too. It looks so delicious Amanda and another inch goes to my waistline.

Cookin' Canuck says:

I can imagine toasting this and smearing a nice pat of butter on top. Mmm….This would be perfect for our holiday table.

Angie says:

This looks so perfect, I love walnuts so much, and with rosemary, so elegant, perfect for the holidays

Barbara @ Modern Comfort Food says:

Every Sunday I make a couple big loaves of homemade WW bread for the week And your wonderful recipe here is timed to perfection. I've got all the ingredients, including fresh rosemary in the garden. Can't wait to make this one tomorrow, and have a slice (or two), fresh from the oven with butter. Yum!

That bread is so very tempting! It looks awesome!

Thanks for all your support today Amanda. All you guys made me feel much better and it's so nice to have that sounding board. You rock! :)

Lea Ann says:

That is an absolutely beautiful plate that bread is sittng one! And that photo of the buttered slice almost makes me want to bake bread. What a great combination of flavors here.

Kudos Kitchen says:

You're speaking my language with this bread post Amanda. Rosemary is my favorite herb. I'm totally nuts for nuts of any kind and bread is one of my all time favorite things to make in the kitchen! Thanks for posting this recipe. I'm going to add it to my list of recipes to try. Thanks much :)
    Renee

marla {family fresh cooking} says:

Great flavors you combine in this bread. Count me in always when you have nuts involved!

Your recipes look great. But it's difficult to read them with all the icons you have on your page. Would you consider going w/o the icons to help readers read your recipes? Thanks…

zerrin says:

This is an amazing bread! I love that you used olive oil for it. I can feel the smell! Bet rosemary gives a tempting flavor to it. I'm bookmarking this recipe to try it very soon.

Mags – You know I'm always happy to share my germs with you :)

Megan – what are friends for? THAT for sure ;)

Lee Ann – Thanks about the plate! Garage sale! :)

Anonymous – about the icons :) I'm sorry you have trouble reading the recipes! There's a link with every recipe, usually right under the recipe title, for a printable link. If you click on that, you can still get the recipe without the sidebars :)

Thanks for all your great comments!

Cajun Chef Ryan says:

Bet that made the house fill with wonderful bread aroma, and slap some soft butter on warm slices too!

Nutmeg Nanny says:

What a great bread! I'm not a huge fan of walnuts but the rest of my family sure does love them!

Shanthi says:

Wonderful and sure would have tasted good

Chef Fresco says:

mmm homemade bread is my favorite. Looks delicious!

Thanks everyone!

Chef Fresco says:

This bread looks absolutely perfect – like straight from the bakery perfect! Wonderful job!

Thank you Chef!