Chicken Fried Steak

Cooler fall weather seems to bring out the comfort food recipes. Chicken fried steak is not something that I had growing up, but my husband did. In fact, I hadn’t even tried it until I was in my early 40′s! Chicken fried steak is by no means low fat, but it is a comfort food. It’s delicious, it’s fast, and a great way to use cube steak or even a tough cut of round steak.

I found this recipe on AllRecipes, it’s even called “The Best Chicken Fried Steak Recipe”. How could I not try that? :) I stuck pretty close to the recipe itself, only I used canola oil for frying and didn’t make the milk gravy. Instead, I used some homemade beef stock and milk to make a brown gravy instead. These were delicious and I will make them again :)

The Best Chicken Fried Steak
slightly adapted from All Recipes

4 (1/2 pound) beef cube steaks
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 egg
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabascoâ„¢)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2.5 cups canola oil for frying

Pound the steaks to about 1/4-inch thickness. Place 2 cups of flour in a shallow bowl. Stir together the baking powder, baking soda, pepper, and salt in a separate shallow bowl; stir in the buttermilk, egg, Tabasco Sauce, and garlic. Dredge each steak first in the flour, then in the batter, and again in the flour. Pat the flour onto the surface of each steak so they are completely coated with dry flour.

Heat the oil in a deep cast-iron skillet to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Fry the steaks until evenly golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Place fried steaks on a plate with paper towels to drain. Serve with gravy of your choice.

Get the basic milk gravy recipe from All Recipes.

(If you enjoyed this post, I’d truly appreciate a stumble, Digg, facebook share, whatever you like! :) )

25 Responses to Chicken Fried Steak

Frieda says:

I love comfort foods! Like you, I haven't tried this till I was older. I haven't tried making it…yet. Thanks!

Minny says:

My mom used to make round steak like this.. she cut the steaks in pieces & dredged them in flour, then dipped in a milk/egg mixture & back into the flour. It probably took a little longer to cook through than the cube steakes since it was cut thicker. I grew up on this type of food.

Sue says:

This looks SO GOOD, especially after too much Halloween candy!

jose manuel says:

Un buen filete es lo mejor del mundo, y los tuyos se ven ricos, ricos.

Barbara Bakes says:

Love how crispy and golden yours is. My dad loves to order chicken fried steak at restaurants.

Melissa says:

I love this! I've made it before and I bombed. Thank you so much for this recipe!

Nutmeg Nanny says:

This looks great! When I got to Cracker Barrel it's the only thing I get. I love love love love it!

Mags @ the Other Side of 50 says:

That there is comfort food at its finest. Looks delicious Amanda.

Barbara @ Modern Comfort Food says:

This recipe is a trip down memory lane for me. I haven't had chicken fried steak in eons and now want to turn that around pronto. Great post, Amanda!

Cajun Chef Ryan says:

Amanda, for sure, chicken fried steak is always a comfort food. Used to sell it as a special once a week and always sold out every time it was on the menu.

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme says:

Wow, you're making me crave some good, down home comfort food, Amanda! I like chicken fried steak as well as what we in the south call "country fried" steak – a little different preparation but similar concept. I could go for a big plate full of this right now!

RecycleCindy says:

Oh that looks so tasty. Thanks for sharing the wonderful recipe and details.

Biz says:

Yep, I never grew up with chicken fried steak either, but my husband had it on a business trip in Texas in his mid-20's – needless to say it is pure comfort food!

And while some recipes called for round steak, I always make mine with cube steak too – I think the meat is extra tender that way.

Um, and I may cook it in our deep fat fryer – I think it holds a temperature better and it never comes out greasy.

Hope you are doing well Amanda!

You should try this with a milk gravy…that will make it a "true" chicken fried steak. Great recipe.

Leslie says:

Oh my..I have not had chicken fried steak in forever! YUM

Tasty Eats At Home says:

I am a born and raised Texan, but I didn't try this dish until I was an adult. It's one of my favorites. I haven't had it since i went gluten free…you've reminded me I need to get on that!

Thanks so much you guys! I love it too :)

Katie @ This Chick Cooks says:

All of your recipes look so yummy. I am now your newest follower.

Looks good! My kiddos would totally gobble that right up and ask for seconds!

Thank you Katie and ingrid!

Lea Ann says:

Your photo made me instantly hungry. Isn't chicken fried steak just the best?!?!?!

Thanks Lea Ann! Yes, I love it :)

Culinary Cory says:

I LOVE chicken fried steak. It's one of my favorite comfort meals. Yours looks tasty.

Thank Cory!

Barbara | VinoLuciStyle says:

I haven't had Chicken Fried Steak in years. I used to love taking my kids to a local Black Eyed Pea restaurant and it was always my first choice on the menu…so reminiscent of growing up in a big family. Now I'm craving it and the BEP is gone. Sob.