Pasta with Garlic Roasted Broccoli

I’ve been making a lot of pasta without red sauce lately. I still like red sauce, but have grown pretty tired of the same old same old, so trying recipes with broth or olive oil based sauces has been wonderful. Hubby won’t eat a white sauce, so Alfredo is out. This particular recipe is a little different than any of the others I’ve tried. It calls for roasting the broccoli in the oven then at the end tossing in broth and cheese with the hot pasta. I’ll try anything (well, almost anything) once.

I love the addition of walnuts in this dish. It’s simple and tasty, but I think it needed a little something extra. Maybe something as simple as a little salt or garlic salt would do the trick, but you could play with it easily enough. I always sprinkle garlic salt on my pasta dishes, so that was good enough for me. :)

Pasta with Garlic Roasted Broccoli
slightly adapted from Annie’s Recipes

6 cups broccoli florets
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 pound rotini pasta
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bring a large covered pot of water to a boil.

Combine broccoli, garlic, walnuts, salt and pepper in a bowl. Drizzle with oil and stir with hands until coated. Place broccoli mixture on a large rimmed baking sheet and roast 13 minutes, stirring twice during roasting.

When water comes to a boil, remove lid and add a tablespoon of salt. While broccoli is roasting, cook pasta following package directions.  Drain and return to pot. Add broccoli mixture to pasta pot and stir in broth, butter and cheese. Serve immediately.

More of my favorite pasta recipes:
Spaghetti with Pancetta & Broccoli
Farfelle alla Vesuviana
Rotini with Creamy Three Herb Pesto & Chicken
Baked Ziti
Baked Manicotti With Prosciutto
Penne with Tomato Sage Sausage Sauce
Italian Lasagna (with meat)

More pasta recipes from the internet:
Chock Full of Veggies Lasagna from Baking and Boys
Pasta e broccoli from Rachel Eats
Stovetop Pasta Marinara with Broccoli and Chickpeas from Simply Sugar & Gluten Free
Pasta Alfredo with Broccoli and Mushrooms from Good Life Eats

(If you enjoyed this post, I’d truly appreciate a stumble, Digg, facebook share, whatever you like! :) )

18 Responses to Pasta with Garlic Roasted Broccoli

Mags says:

I get tired of tomato-based pasta sauces too. This looks like a very tasty alternative!

Jason's BBQ Adventures says:

Loves wonderful. Love broccoli and pasta together.

Tia says:

ooh, garlic and broccoli – 2 of my most loved flavors together.

marla {family fresh cooking} says:

I too think the walnuts are a great addition to this beautiful pasta. Thanks for having us think outside the box on our sauce creations!

I love pasta like this, but my (annoying) husband thinks pasta has to have tons of sauce, whatever kind. Looks good to me!

Lea Ann says:

Thanks for stopping by my blog and the comment. Mighty fine blog you have here…I've subscribed.

Priscilla - She's Cookin' says:

Always love a little crunch, so the walnut are a great addition to this healthy pasta dish! For a little more zip, I would add garlic like you mentioned and a bit of red pepper flakes when sauteing the garlic.

Judimae says:

Great combination of ingredients. It looks easy and healthful as well. Thanks for sharing.

girlichef says:

This sounds tasty…I love the walnuts in there, too! Great change from red sauce ;)

Gera @ Sweets Foods Blog says:

A nice way to start the week – adore garlic with vegs!

Cheers,

Gera

Lynn says:

That looks wonderful! We are getting a little tired of red sauce too.

Lynn

Anne says:

This is an awesome idea. My husband can't have tomatoes or much dairy so I really run out of ideas for pasta sauces!

I need to eat more meals without meat but it's hard with the hubby around. This sounds really good!

I'm with ya on the red sauce. I don't make it often. I'm going to give this a try! I love that it's so easy. Thanks, Amanda.

Judimae says:

Great combo of ingredients in this easy to make pasta dish. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks everyone! This is now in my permanent recipe file :)

This sounds a lot like on of the recipes I make (which was a combo of several recipes I found online – I tend to do that a lot), only my has chicken and is made completely via stove top. Hmmm…I might have to make this one and compare.

Michelle says:

Amanda, I’m so glad that I stumbled upon your blog! You have some really great recipes!!! Thank you for sharing! :-)