Chicken in Walnut Sauce

Other than Asian dishes, I haven’t experimented much with nuts in cooking. Baking yes, of course, but not in savory dishes. The title of the recipe intrigued me immediately. After all, since becoming a “grown up”, walnuts have become a favorite of mine. I remember thinking how awful they tasted as a kid, but now I love them. Once I read the ingredient list, I knew I had to try it.

The only thing I was a little leery of was the cinnamon. I’ve never really been one for sweet dishes, I don’t even like sweet and sour Asian meals. After thinking about it though, cinnamon is a spice, and on its own, it’s the farthest thing from “sweet”. So I got busy gathering the ingredients and preparing this for dinner.

As an obvious aroma of cinnamon filled the kitchen, I was a bit nervous. Not so much about how I would like it, but rather my kids and my husband. I thought for sure one of them would ask about the aroma, but no one did. My younger boys were at football practice and my oldest son wasn’t home, but my teenage daughter and one of her friends were there along with my husband. So I set out 4 plates in anticipation of wrinkled noses and “Umm, what’s in that?”

Much to my surprise and delight, everyone loved it, even my chicken hating husband! My daughter’s friend complimented the dish and asked what was in it. When I told her about the cinnamon she was surprised but still stated how good it was.

Definitely a keeper. The chicken was tender and moist and the sauce was delicious. If you try it, be sure to let me know what you think!

Chicken in Walnut Sauce

1 (14-ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups cooked long-grain white and/or wild rice

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken; cook several minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of your breasts, or until browned. I browned mine for about 6 minutes on each side. Remove from pan. Add onion and garlic to pan; cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring constantly. Add walnuts, and cook 1 minute or until toasted and fragrant, stirring constantly. Combine flour, cinnamon, and red pepper, and sprinkle over walnuts, stirring to coat. Add broth; stir with a whisk. Return chicken to pan, breast side up. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until chicken is done and sauce is slightly thick. Stir in parsley, vinegar, salt, and black pepper, bring to a boil and simmer for a few minutes. Serve with rice.

More you might like from me:
Mediterranean Chicken
Chile Lime Chicken on the Grill
Chicken Scallion Stir Fry
Chicken with Garlic & Parsley

From other tasty food blogs:
Quick Chicken Stir-Fry from Dine and Dish
Smothered Barbecued Chicken from Never Enough Thyme
Thai red chicken curry from This Mama Cooks
Asparagus and Chicken Enchiladas from Recipe Girl

(If you enjoyed this post, I’d truly appreciate a stumble, Digg, facebook share, whatever you like! :) )

19 Responses to Chicken in Walnut Sauce

Kudos Kitchen says:

You caught my attention with this recipe Amanda. Seems like such an unusual grouping of ingredients for a savory meal but that's what I like best! I'll definitely try this. Anything with nuts in it and I'm all over it :)
    Renee

Cornelius says:

this looks really good, definitely going to try it out! and such a nice looking plate with the rice and veggis :)

Tiffiny Felix says:

Yummy!! That looks so good! I laughed about the description of your worry as the cinnamon smell filled your kitchen. I was the same way the first time I cooked with fennel–I was sure the black licorice flavor was going to ruin my soup :)

jose manuel says:

es un plato estupendo, de lujo. SAludos

Mags says:

One can never have enough chicken recipes. This looks like another good one to bookmark!

Barbara Bakes says:

I'm always on the look out for great quick and easy chicken dishes likes this.

Barbara @ Modern Comfort Food says:

This looks sensational, Amanda, and reminds me of one of my favorite dishes: classic Turkish Circassian chicken. Yum!

Cookin' Canuck says:

This sounds really good. I love the idea of the cinnamon in here – it's like a take on a Moroccan dish.

Jason's BBQ Adventures says:

Great chicken recipe! Love the walnut sauce.

thruthebugsonmywindshield says:

This looks delicious! I have an almost chicken-hating husband, so I'm definitely going to have this dish on our table. Looks GREAT!

I'm intrigued! I love cinnamon in anything and I cant wait to try this. We had your pulled pork last week and it was delicious! A Keeper for sure!

Thanks all, this is so delicious, it's staying on my permanent list ;)

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer says:

I love walnuts in dinner dishes. Going to have to make this one soon, thanks!

Tasty Eats At Home says:

I love cinnamon paired with chicken (and other meats). It's used a lot in Indian and other cuisines, but it's relatively new for me (like in the past 2 years). The warmth of the flavors really sings. And this with the walnuts in the sauce? Yum!

Stephanie says:

I just blogged this! Another great recipe from your site! Thank you!

I saw Stephanie, looked great! So glad you liked it!

Vanessa Morgan says:

This dish looks delicious. I will try it out soon and will let you know how it went. Thanks.

Out of 17 posted comments, no one even made this dish!!! People are interested in the end product — was the recipe great? Reading comments that it looks delicious, sounds really good, I will try it soon etc., etc., is a waste of time. Come on people.

Interesting comment Anonymous :) However, comment #15 from Stephanie states that she not only made it and enjoyed it, but also blogged about it. Thanks for your feedback.