Shredded Beef and Chile Enchiladas

It’s no secret that I love Mexican food. I don’t mean enchiladas made with condensed soup or tacos made with powdered taco seasoning packets. I love authentic Mexican flavors; fresh cilantro, roasted chile peppers, and plenty of fresh grated cheese. Earlier this year I found one of those BHG special interest publications called Ultimate Mexican. I’ve made several recipes from it. You might remember the sweet conchas (Mexican sweet bread), or the champurrado (thick Mexican hot chocolate), or the delicious spicy grilled chicken with baja black beans and rice. I also have a chalupa recipe waiting in the wings that I still haven’t posted yet! Everything I’ve made from this magazine so far has been phenomenal.

This recipe for beef enchiladas, one of five different varieties featured, is no exception. While I normally make a homemade enchilada sauce, this recipe was a marvelous change from the norn and definitely worth making. The only real change I made here was to use a chuck roast in place of the brisket (I just can’t bear to shred a brisket, they are too good sliced!). I also left off the salsa verde topping and just stuck with the cheese. Truly wonderful and a great dinner for the cool autumn nights ahead!

Shredded Beef and Chile Enchiladas
adapted from Ultimate Mexican magazine

1 3-pound fresh beef brisket (I used chuck roast)
4 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 14-ounce can beef broth (I used my homemade beef stock)
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
2 4-ounce cans diced green chile peppers, undrained
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
8 oz sour cream
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
12 7- to 8-inch flour tortillas
1 cup salsa (I omitted)

Preheat oven to 325 F. Trim fat from meat. In a small bowl, combine 4 teaspoons of the chili powder, the cumin and oregano. Sprinkle spice mixture evenly over all sides of beef, rubbing it in with your fingers.

Place beef in shallow roasting pan, top with sliced onions, pour broth and vinegar over the meat. Roast in oven, covered, about 3 hours or until meat is fork tender. Let meat stand in pan juices about 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle.  Remove meat from pan. Using a slotted spoon, remove onions; reserve pan juices. If you trimmed the meat well you shouldn’t have too much fat on the surface, but if you do, skim off with a spoon or use a fat seperator (I use Oxo, got it from Amazon, works great).  Halve meat crosswise. Shred meat using two forks. Stir onions into the shredded meat; stir in enough of the reserved pan juices to moisten (1/2 to 1 cup). Set meat mixture aside and discard remaining pan juices.

In a medium saucepan combine undrained chile peppers and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon chili powder; cook about one minute or until heated through. Stir in flour. Cook and stir for one minute more. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup of the cheese.

Increase oven temperature to 350 F. Grease or spray a 13×9 baking dish; set aside. Divide the shredded meat mixture among tortillas, placing meat mixture along one edge. Top with sour cream mixture and roll up tortillas (they will be full). Arrange in baking dish, seam side down. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes; uncover. Spoon salsa verde over the enchiladas, and sprinkle with the remaining 1 1/2 cups of cheese. Bake uncovered, 10 minutes more, or until cheese is melted and enchiladas are heated through.

Serve and enjoy!

More from me you might like:
Conchas (Mexican sweet bread)
Homemade enchilada sauce
Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream

More great recipes from the internet:
Machaca Burritos from Never Enough Thyme
Grilled Margarita Chicken Skewer with Spanish Wild Rice - from Thru the Bugs On My Windshield
Authentic Mexican recipes from MexGrocer
Chipotle Pork Tinga Tacos from Tasty Eats at Home
Chili Verde and Sope Shells from Megan’s Cookin’

(If you enjoyed this post, I’d truly appreciate a stumble, Digg, facebook share, whatever you like! :) )

20 Responses to Shredded Beef and Chile Enchiladas

Mo 'Betta says:

I sure wish I had read this before starting my beef stew in the crock pot. This looks waaay better!

Tasty Eats At Home says:

Oh yum. I love shredded beef in enchiladas, tacos, anything! These sound tasty. My husband loves flour tortillas in place of the typical corn in enchiladas. I think they soak up more sauce – a yummy thing!

Thumbs up. Looks de-lish!

jose manuel says:

Deliciosas. Saludos

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme says:

This looks really delicious, Amanda. Mexican is a big favorite around our house, too. I've been looking for a good beef enchilada recipe for quite some time and I think I've found it!

thruthebugsonmywindshield says:

Shredded beef is the BEST! We can never get enough good Mexican food. This will be served on our next RV trip for sure!

megan says:

We all love good mexican food in this house. Cant wait for that cooler weather they call Fall! :)

Mags says:

Mexican food lover here too, but I'm not as adept at figuring out the spice combination so I'm guilty of using the taco seasoning packets…LOL

Your enchiladas look heavenly.

I won't use condensed cream of anything – that stuff is disgusting!

That said, I just made a mexican pot roast over the weekend and used it to make nachos and tacos and burritos. Now I'm wishing I'd photographed it!

5 Star Foodie says:

These enchiladas look super delicious!

Gera @ Sweets Foods Blog says:

I’m very fond of Mex food and those enchiladas are outstanding!

Cheers,

Gera

Anna says:

These look great! I've been on an enchilada kick lately, but have been using corn tortillas for every recipe. I guess I'll go ahead and use flour for this one.

Sue says:

Oh boy, this looks SO good! I'm having a bowl of cereal for dinner.

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer says:

This looks great, I have a chicken go-to enchilada but not a beef. I am going to give this one a try! We love chilies too so think this will be great.

Jane Bonacci says:

I just picked up a chuck roast and I think I know what I'm going to make with it :)!!

Thanks all!

Andrea says:

I made these last night and they were AWESOME! My husband and I really enjoyed them. I used brisket, and found that it was almost dried up after 3 hours of cooking, so there was no liquid left in the pan. I add a little beef broth to the beef after I shredded it to moisten it since I didn't have any pan juices. It was wonderful. I will definately make these again! thanks for sharing.

So glad you liked them Andrea! We loved them here too. :)

aubrey says:

We made these over the weekend and really enjoyed them! Thanks for the great recipe!