Double Glazed Almond Orange Bundt Cake

Orange flavored desserts, along with lemon and almond, fall into my top five favorites. I wanted to develop a cake that would incorporate all three flavors, and I achieved that goal today. This cake is soft and moist, full of delicious flavor, and ummm, it’s also gone. Devoured. Eaten by all, only tiny crumbs left on the plates. This was a huge hit, which of course makes me feel great, as it’s a recipe I developed on my own. :)

I developed this recipe by comparing some cakes in a few different cookbooks and websites. I then added zest here and extract there to come up with this lovely dessert. My daughter said she liked how soft it was, and the hubby and youngest son both used the word “scrumby”, which is a spin-off of scrumptious and yummy. ;)

If you try this, please tell me what you think!

Double Glazed Almond Orange Bundt Cake

1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted

Glaze
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon buttermilk
3-4 tablespoons orange juice
1/8 teaspoon orange extract (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a bundt pan.

In a small bowl, whisk together flour, dry pudding mix, baking powder and salt; set aside. Measure out buttermilk and set aside.

Using your fingertips, rub the lemon zest into the sugar until fragrant. Place fragrant sugar and butter in mixer bowl and beat until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition. Turn the mixer speed down to low and add the extracts.

Add the flour mixture and the buttermilk, alternating, starting and ending with the flour. When combined well, turn mixer speed up to medium and beat for three minutes.

Put batter into prepared bundt pan and bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes. Allow to cool in pan for ten minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack and cool completely.

Blend the glaze ingredients together in a small bowl until you reach a drizzling (not runny) consistency. Place a piece of foil or wax paper underneath the cooling rack to catch drips. Drizzle half of the glaze over the cake and place cake in the refrigerator for ten minutes to allow it to firm up. Stir the remaining glaze (add a few drops of juice if it thickened up while sitting) then drizzle over the first layer of glaze. Drop sliced, toasted almonds into the wet glaze. Allow glaze to set, or place in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.

More from me you might like:
Cranberry Almond Pound Cake
Quick Orange Rolls
Orange Poppy Seed Pound Cake
Toasted Coconut Orange Icebox Cookies

More yumminess from the interwebs:
Very Tangerine Poppy Seed Cake - from Modern Comfort Food
Rosemary and Lemon Cupcakes – from The Swans
Almond-Orange Sponge with Chocolate Ganache Icing - from Passionate About Baking
Gluten-Free Blood Orange Cardamom Cake - from Healthy Green Kitchen

(If you enjoyed this post, I’d truly appreciate a stumble, Digg, facebook share, whatever you like! :) )

NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit http://www.amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html

31 Responses to Double Glazed Almond Orange Bundt Cake

Jennifurla says:

Great job, it looks amazing!

foodies at home says:

I think "scrumby" is the perfect word! Bravo!

jose manuel says:

Que delicioso se ve tu bizcocho, tan esponjo y con la crema. Saludos

Suzanne says:

This looks heavenly to me too! Love all those flavors. Great photos too.

Honey @ honeyandsoy says:

That definitely is one scrumby-looking cake!! If you like the orange and almond combination in cake, here's one I did- by stewing whole oranges! http://www.honeyandsoy.com/orange-and-almond-cake/ Let me know what you think!

Mags says:

Great looking bundt cake Amanda. I can see why it was quickly devoured!

cookies and cups says:

It looks absolutely delicious! The orange is a favorite of mine too!

Barbara @ moderncomfortfood says:

Love this cake! The combination of flavors you've used here looks divine.

Grumpy and HoneyB says:

That is one great looking cake Amanda! I love the flavors!

Weight Loss Tips says:

Great looking cake, I bet it was good, right down to the crumbs.

Well, besides looking gorgeous, the flavors all sound great. This is surely a cake my "reality sisters" would love–:( if we hadn't moved away. Sigh.

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

I was so intent on making this, until I saw the need for that pudding :( What can I use instead?? We get none here!

Everyone – thank you for your kind comments!

Honey – that's a beautiful cake, thanks for sharing that!

katrina – aww, I'm sorry you are missing home :(

Avanika – There are a couple of options:

1) just use your favorite white or yellow cake recipe (I recommend yellow), add the lemon zest to the sugar in your recipe, and substitute the extracts for any extract in your recipe

OR

2) there's a link in the post to my homemade vanilla pudding mix. I keep it in a sealed storage container, that way I can use it in other recipes that call for vanilla pudding mix :)

Hope you make it, let me know!

Nutmeg Nanny says:

This looks amazing! I love the use of citrus. It always brings a nice bright summery taste :)

Sue says:

Besides looking beautiful, this cake sounds so delicious! I love bundt cake and all these ingredients add up to a winning recipe, for sure! Kudos to you, Amanda!

Annie says:

It is beautiful and delicious!!!

Jess--Sugar High says:

Great recipe! It sounds so good! I'm going to try this one soon. Thanks for sharing :)

Elizabeth says:

I made this yesterday!…It really is delicious! Thank you!

Thanks ladies!

Elizabeth – Yay! Thanks so much for letting me know, I love that ;)

Gera @ Sweets Foods Blog says:

This glazing and almonds over the cake is scrumptious – so tempting!!

Cheers,

Gera

Kathiey says:

Hi Amanda,
    I just made your cake and posted it on my blog. It was great!
    Thanks:-)

Thanks Gera!

thanks Kathiey, I went to see and it looks wonderful!!

• 22.1
      Pippa Hamilton says:

Amanda, Looks delicious. Can you tell me what a stick of butter is in ounces or grams? In the UK we don’t use cups and sticks so much and I’ve seville oranges at the moment and want to try your cake. Is a cup of flour 8oz?

• Pippa Hamilton says:

Sorry, me again from the UK – is the pudding mix you put in already made up, ie wet? Sounds such a good idea to keep it moist and not something we have over here.

• Amanda says:

Hi Pippa!

1 stick of butter would be 113.4 grams
          1 cup of flour would be 125 grams
          The pudding mix is dry.

I hope that helps, would love to hear about your results!

Ciao Chow Linda says:

Oh my does this ever look fabulous.

[...] More from em you might like: Lemon Cornmeal Cake with Blueberry Sauce Lemon & Blackberry Cream Cheese Swirl Cake Almond Butter Cake Double Glazed Almond Orange Bundt Cake [...]

Gabrielle says:

I made this cake today and it is amazing! Never thought of adding vanilla pudding mix to the batter. I used cake flour. The cake was very tender and lighter than if I used all purpose. I definitely will be making this as a base for many cakes. Thanks for the recipe!

[…] Zucchini Bundt Cake, Barbara Bakes Vanilla Bundt Cake with Berry Glaze, Premeditated Leftovers Double Glazed Almond Orange Bundt Cake, Amanda’s Cookin’ Brown Butter Sour Cream Crumb Cake with Roasted Pineapple Sauce, […]