Cinnamon Chip Banana Muffins and Loaves

Let me preface this by saying that while these muffins and mini loaves were phenomenally delicious, they were also ugly ducklings. I had decided to take an old tried and true banana bread recipe, add some cinnamon chips and make some muffins. When I opened the oven to see if they were ready to come out, my heart sank. I thought for sure they were going to burn as the outer edges were already getting quite dark and they were quite obviously not yet done in the middle. To top things off, they were flat, no rise at all.

So I closed the oven door, spewed off a few expletives, and cursed the stupid cinnamon chips that are famous for altering the behavior of my baked goods! You see, I had an opened bag of cinnamon chips in the pantry. They needed to be used up and I have tried cinnamon chips in a couple different things without much success. Although, there was the cinnamon chip pumpkin cookies which were truly AH-MAY-ZING. The cinnamon chips changed these from a cake-like cookie to one more like the texture of a chocolate chip cookie. So there’s definitely something in these chips that makes batter behave differently.

I digress. After removing the dozen muffins and two mini loaves from the oven, and seeing just how unattractive they really were, I put them on the cooling rack and walked away in disgust. I even posted my disgust on Facebook, only to discover a while later that these were not only incredible, they were addictive! I ate three muffins before I even realized it. I went out and ran some errands, and came back to find the two mini loaves and only three muffins remaining. They were a huge hit and by morning only one mini loaf remained, and that’s only because I wrapped it in plastic wrap and slapped a note on it that said “MOM”. ;) The next day I had it for breakfast and was bummed that there weren’t any left.

I hope you try these, they are truly marvelous. The cinnamon chips add a chewy texture around the edges, almost caramel-like, and the flavor is way better than any boring old banana bread. :)

Cinnamon Chip Banana Muffins and Loaves

2 very ripe bananas
1/2 cup unsalted butter, butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cinnamon chips

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a 12 cup muffin tin and 2 mini loaf pans.

Mashed the bananas with a fork and place in a mixer bowl with softened butter. Mix on medium speed until well blended. Add in the vanilla, eggs, sugar and buttermilk and beat on medium speed until homogenous.

Whisk together baking soda, salt and flour. Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add flour mixture to banana mixture. Stir in cinnamon chips.

Divide batter evenly between two mini loaves and a 12 cup muffin tin. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks for ten minutes before removing and cooling completely.

More from me you might like:
Snickerdoodles with a Twist
Cinnamon Chip Pumpkin Cookies
Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Cookies
Honey Pear Bread

Yummy stuff from the web:
Cinnamon Chip Scones – from My Baking Addiction
Banana Cinnamon Chip Bread with Cinnamon Sugar Topping – from Two Peas and Their Pod
Cinnamon Chip Danish – from The Other Side of Fifty
Whole Wheat Cinnamon Chip Pecan Cookies – from Cookie Madness

20 Responses to Cinnamon Chip Banana Muffins and Loaves

The Pink Magnolia says:

I've been looking for cinnamon chips since last fall…could you please tell me where you find them? Your recipe looks delish!

Yum, they sound amazing!

Fallon says:

Where do you buy your cinnamon chips? I can never seem to find them!

jose manuel says:

Que delicia de pastel. Saludos

Jennifurla says:

I have yogurt chips that also alter recipes all the time, this looks quite tasty.

Barbara @ moderncomfortfood says:

These muffins and loaves look wonderful to me and not the least bit "ugly." Many thanks for the tip about cinnamon (yum!) chips. I've never even heard of them and must go search for them pronto!

megan says:

I have a made Banana cinnamon chip bread that is a knock off of Maria's and we LOVE it! The only way I'll make banana bread anymore!!!

I can only find cinnamon chips at Christmas. Last year I bought stocked up and bought 5 bags. After Christmas, Raley's had them on clearance for 99 cents and I bought 5 more bags! :)

Allie says:

Yum! This looks so good! I wouldn't be mad if you sent me one of those loaves!!!

Annie says:

I like those muffins with the cinnamon and banana.
    Delicious!!
    Have a nice day

simplysandi says:

I will have to try these. I love cinnamon chips.

noble pig says:

Oh these sound nice, love the cinnamon chips!

Thanks all!

Cinnamon chips – I am lucky, I'm able to find them at my rinky dink over priced local grocer, but I can't get them at the big chain store or the Super Walmart. Go figure!

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

These sure sound amazing. Unfortunately, no cinnamon chips where I live :(

Andreas Kitchen says:

I wanted to let you know that King Arthur's Flour has cinnamon chips on their website. I bought some and my husband and I tasted them and he didn't really care for them! I don't know if all cinnamon chips taste the same or if they are different. I will try this recipe with them just to see how they do- it looks yum!

Hi Andrea! Cinnamon chips straight from the bag really aren't that great, but baked into something they are amazing! Looking forward to hearing how it went!

Hi Amanda, just wanted to let you know that my first batch of these Cinnamon Chip Banana Muffins and Loafs are now in the oven. I hope they come out as well as yours. I do have one issue with the ingredients: you did not provide a measure for the vanilla. I used a teaspoon and tasted the batter…tasted great! I was able to find the cinnamon chips at my local Albertsons. Thanks, David

Good call on the measurement David, sorry about that! I will correct it right now, 1 teaspoon is correct. Let me know how they turn out! Wish I could have one, I'm jealous :)

Hi Amanda, the finished loafs and muffins turned out great! As you remarked, they are very addictive. I plan on bring what's left over to work (if there is any left over!). David

That's fabulous David, I am so glad! Now you are making me want some LOL!

[...] from me you might like:Cantaloupe Quick BreadCinnamon Chip Banana Muffins and LoavesHoney Pear BreadVanilla Zucchini [...]