TWD: Swedish Visiting Cake

I have to admit, the recipe for Swedish Visiting Cake is probably not one I would have chosen myself. That’s one of the best parts of this baking group, someone else picks and brings you out of your comfort zone. This is actually a really easy cake, easier than most in fact. It’s baked in a cast iron skillet, giving it an amazingly chewy center and a delectable crunchy crust.

The flavor of this cake is phenomenal, credit mostly to the additional of almond extract, one of my all time favorites. This cake actually reminds me a lot of the Cherry Almond Cake I made last year using the fresh sour cherries I picked from my neighbor’s tree. Can’t wait to do that again this year! In fact, now that I’ve made this Swedish Visiting Cake in the cast iron skillet, I think I may try the Cherry Almond Cake in it as well. Amazing results!

Many, many thanks go out to Nancy of The Dogs Eat the Crumbs for choosing this delicious treat. if you would like to try the recipe yourself, visit Nancy’s blog as she will have it posted there. Or if you have the book, turn to page 197 of Baking From My Home to Yours.

Oh, and in closing I just had to share this with you. My youngest, Dominic (11) likes to cook with me and I occasionally find that he has swiped my camera and left some sort of silliness on its memory card. Below is the picture I found when I went to download the pictures for this post. Gotta love my Dommy. ;)

36 Responses to TWD: Swedish Visiting Cake

Grumpy & HoneyB says:

Almond is my favorite flavoring! Sometimes I think I should come back to TWD just because it does force you to "cook outside the box!" This looks awesome.

Cristine says:

Your cake looks great! Love the marshmallow man! :)

chocolatechic says:

How cute is your boy, and so thoughtful to leave you a picture of his creation.

Your cake looks great too.

carmencooks says:

Haha, the marshmallow man is so funny. :) Your cake looks delicious!

Barb says:

I may be a dummy, but I can't find the recipe. It looks so good.

Hi Barb :) The link is in the third paragraph, but here it is directly http://noe847.blogspot.com/2010/04/twd-swedish-visiting-cake.html

Ahhh, it's the staypuf marshmallow man! ;) Love it.
    GREAT cake!

cindy says:

Your cake is beautiful! I love your plate and the mellow man.

Nancy/n.o.e says:

Your cake is beautiful, but it gets upstaged by the marshmallow creation – how cute is your son?!! The absolute best thing about TWD is trying – and often loving – different types of recipes. I love the sound of your cherry cake, and with the crisp crust from the skillet I'll bet it will be even more wonderful! I'm impressed that you turned your cake out. Great work!! Thanks for baking along with me this week.

CB says:

Oooh that cherry almond cake look goooood! I might have to give that one a whirl too. Your son is so cute. I literally cackled when I saw your marshmallow Dommy. HA HA!
    -CB

Pamela says:

LOL! Dominic is obviously quite creative! How fun! The cake looks wonderful, and I know I probably would never have chosen this one on my own, either! Nice job.

Tia says:

nice pic – i can see the sugar sprinkled on top. yum!

Jeannette says:

Oh that's just adorable!! Must me a cute surprise and a needed smile to lighten the heart, finding pictures like that :)

Your cake looks awesome!

Marthe says:

Yours looks absolutely perfect!! I love what your son does with marshmallows: such creativity!!

Kelly D says:

Cherries?? I am so ready for cherries. Your cake looks great.

Love the marshmallow man!! My son makes videos of himself talking about nonsense…I find this when I download my pics to the computer!!! I have Dorie's book and have been interested in trying this cake. Now that I read how good it is and looks I will try it! Thanks Amanda!

Chow and Chatter says:

its cool to try new cakes though and your son rocks!

April says:

Oh gosh the idea of adding cherries makes my mouth water! Cherries + almonds are win!

Erin@The Sweet Life says:

Wasn't this so good? I probably wouldn't have made it on my own either, but I can forsee many more Swedish Visiting Cakes coming from my kitchen in the future. And you know what else I love? It seems like everyone's cake looks just like the one in the book. I think that's pretty gratifying…when something I bake actually looks like what it's supposed to! :)

cherry almond sounds so good
    love both !
    I am drinking a vodka and amaretto right now ;-)

is the recipe here for the visitors cake ?

Hi Aonymous – The link is in the third paragraph, but here it is directly http://noe847.blogspot.com/2010/04/twd-swedish-visiting-cake.html

Susan says:

How cute! I love the little marshmallow man! Your cake looks divine. My hubby would love the Cherry Almond cake. I may have to "borrow" that recipe from you. :)

Tracey says:

Pretty cake! I'm with you on probably skipping this recipe if left to my own devices, but I'm so glad Nancy picked it because it was delish! Yours looks terrific.

margot says:

Your cake looks beautiful and I love the white plate. What a funny surprise from Dominic! How nice that he enjoys cooking with you.

Pam says:

Your cake looks delicious and I know from my Swedish mother-in-law how good those Swedish dishes are. Your Dommy did a great job!

mike says:

Isn't that the truth – it's something I would have passed over too. But sure glad I didn't – the cake looks wonderful. They all have such a homey look to them – I love that. I also love the Marshmallow Man. Maybe more…. :)

steph- whisk/spoon says:

this looks delicious, as does the sour cherry cake!! your boy has a good sense of humor–i like that!

5 Star Foodie says:

This cake sounds excellent! And I love the little cute marshmallow man!

Liz says:

Ha, your son is adorable! And the cake looks fabulous. I love the idea of adding sour cherries–can't wait for summer!

Paula - bell'alimento says:

I love the "treasures" that I find on my memory card ; ) I've never had Swedish Visiting Cake but it looks simply scrumptious!

Nickki says:

What a cute marshmallow man!

Your cake looks delicious. We loved it here!

noble pig says:

I love this cake, reminds me of being in Europe enjoting coffee and afternoon pastry.

J.J. says:

I am new to your blog :) That is a riot that he left you such a treasured photo!!!

All this food is yummy. Reminds me I need to go make lunch.

Kayte says:

Your cake looks amazing with that crunchy outside and that sugary glitter…wow. Def Top Five over here…can't begin to describe how much I loved this cake!

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

One more person raving about this unassuming little cake! I'm going to have to try it!! The marshmallow man looks adorable :)