TWD: Chockablock Cookies

Big cookies, one for each hand. Full of oats, molasses, coconut, chocolate chips, dried fruit, and nuts. Oh yeah, and a little cookie dough in there for good measure! I’ll admit, while mixing up this cookie dough, I said out loud to myself “I don’t think I’m going to like these”. I was dead wrong. These were surprisingly good and reminded me of a granola bar, only in chewy cookie form. Similar to a chocolate chip cookie, I believe these were best when they were a little warm. They were definitely best on day 1, still pretty good on day 2, but day 3 they were about spent. These make great lunch box cookies too!

Oh yeah, and yet another cookie with coconut baked inside that no one knew! HA! Just like the Toasted Coconut Orange Icebox Cookies I made last week. The coconut nay-sayers had no clue. :)

Thanks go out to Mary of Popsicles and Sandy Feet for choosing the Chockablock Cookie from Dorie’s book, Baking From My Home to Yours. You can find the recipe on page 86 or by visiting Mary’s blog.

This recipe also gave me a great excuse to finally use this huge mug for a photo session :) Isn’t it cool? It’s a HUGE mug, it takes two hands to hold it. To give you an idea of the size, those cookies are about 3 inches in diameter each!

Photogenic, there are not. Pretty, they are not. In fact, they’re kind of ugly. The kind of cookie you look at and have second thoughts about taking a bite. But then you’re glad you did!

Now when I made these, mine varied a little in that I didn’t have enough molasses, only half, so I substituted agave nectar, and that worked just fine. As for the add-ins, I used a handful of orange essence prunes, chopped up, and the remainder was cherry flavored craisins. For nuts, I used a small amount of chopped pecans, some sliced almonds that I chopped up, and some chopped walnuts. I really didn’t want to hit the grocery store for this one, so I also improvised on the chocolate. I had enough chocolate chips for half what the recipe called for, so I chopped the remainder from some semisweet chocolate blocks (the recipe called for bittersweet, but this worked just fine).

These were a bit sticky to work with, but other than that, I had no problems. In fact, this was one of the few TWD recipes that I actually baked at the long end of the called for time.

A delicious pick, thank you Mary!

24 Responses to TWD: Chockablock Cookies

Heather Davis says:

Amanda these look great! Love your pics in the chocolate "mug". I skipped this week as was participating in my first Daring Bakers challenge but will have to go back and try these. I've stumbled you too!

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

I don't like the can't taste the cookie kinds, but a lot of people have vouched for this one!!

cookies and cups says:

I like cookies like that…they look like they'd fill you up!

I LOVED these and am glad your FB post made me go and make them or I'd have missed this week since we're moving. I can't wait to make them again. And I thought mine were still pretty darn good on day 3. But definitely best warm!
    You already know this, but I LOVE your mug!

Flourchild says:

I agree they were a delicious pick!Im glad they won you over;)

Clueless_Cook says:

Oh Amanda, these look so yummy! I love the "kitchen sink" type cookie, too bad DH is alergic to nuts. Your mug is very photogenic! Yum!

Sue Sparks says:

Now you're talking…this is my kind of cookie-BIG! :) Love the giant mug too…great photos!

Jenn @ BentoForKidlet says:

They look delicious! And that mug is amazingly enormous!

Tami says:

Your pictures are beautiful. I wish that I could reach right through the screen and grab one of those cookies! Yum!

Bob says:

Oh I don't think I'd have any second thoughts about biting into those, they look wicked good. ;)

Mary says:

THanks for baking along with me this week. I have mug envy!

jose manuel says:

Maravillosas galletas, increibles, que puedo decir. Bye y Un saludo

Kayte says:

Wow, these are all gussied up in that pot with that linen poking out…very nice touch. I think they look very wonderful, so let's not call them unattractive any longer, all of us who made them know how attractive they are! I wasn't sure, so I made half a batch. WHAT WAS I THINKING??? Teen boys and only half a batch. Need to make the other half soon.

Teanna says:

Your cookies look gorgeous, but those toasted coconut orange cookies look AWESOME! That's my kind of cookie!

Erin@The Sweet Life says:

Yum! Your pictures look great, especially the ones with the cookies in the mug. I'm glad you liked these. They didn't last long at my house!

Cris Goode says:

Those look amazin'! That mug is adorable too ;)

margot says:

Yours look like perfect big, chunky cookies! I love the mug they're in. You always have such great dishes.

jillbert says:

They look great in your giant mug! I couldn't tell that there was coconut in these.

Chef Fresco says:

Oh I do think they look good! Nice creation. And I love your photo set-up and cute mug :)

Barbara @moderncomfortfood says:

Oh, heavens! These cookies certainly have all the good stuff in them and are so very tempting. BTW, how did you have the fortitude to learn that these cookies are "almost spent" on day 3? I would most definitely have gobbled them all up on day 1!

thruthebugsonmywindshield says:

I can't show my husband these until I'm just right ready to make them. He would hound me to no end until these babies were done! Wow!

Lauryn says:

your cookies really look great!! And that mug!! I looove that adorable mug and I bet it holds a nice, big cup of coffee!

Romaine says:

That is the COOLEST mug. Perfect recipe for it. Seems like you had a lot of fun with these cookies.

I love a cookie that cleans the pantry! Sounds like a big cup of coffee kind of cookie, my favorite! ;) Cool (huge) mug!