TWD: Toasted-Coconut Custard Tart

I like coconut. I don’t love it, but I do like it. Chunks of fresh coconut are awesome. Shreds and flakes, not so much. Funny isn’t it? It’s the same thing, just a different way of cutting it, but shredding it into tiny pieces takes away that nutty texture that I like so much. Now coconut flavor? Love it. Pina Colada? You bet! :)

This week’s pick for the Tuesdays with Dorie baking group was chosen by Beryl of Cinemon Girl. I’m glad she picked it, because as much as I like the flavor of coconut, and with how much I love custard and tarts, I probably would not have made this on my own.

This was easy to put together and the custard takes almost no time at all. I made the custard first, then let it set in the fridge for an hour or so. Then I made the tart dough, which is Dorie’s sweet tart dough, absolutely fabulous. You could eat it as a cookie on its own. :) Let that cool a while, and when it was ready the custard was set enough to add it to the crust. Whipped up the topping and spread it on top then toasted the coconut.

Burned it.

Toasted some more.

Burned it again.

Toasted some more.

Are you kidding me?!?!

Ok one last try. Opened the oven every 30 seconds until it was perfect. Let it cool and sprinkled on top.

This is an absolutely lovely and delicious tart. It’s not what I expected though, the flavor is more vanilla than it is coconut, and I even used coconut flavored rum instead of dark rum! At any rate, it was delicious, and I think the subtle coconut flavor makes it perfect for even coconut nay-sayers.

To get the recipe for this tart, visit Beryl of Cinemon Girl or open your Baking From My Home To Yours book to page 344.

31 Responses to TWD: Toasted-Coconut Custard Tart

Peter M says:

Amanda, this reminds me of the pies I used to eat at my dad's restaurant when i was a kid. Hard to find home cookin' at restaurants.

The Cookie Girl says:

I love coconut. It reminds me of summer. I love it over fresh fruit, in a pie, toasted for a cake. You name it, I like it. This pie looks so yummy.

Chow and Chatter says:

oh wow this looks divine

Jules Someone says:

This looks lovely. If only it wasn't coconut…. Nice job!

Beryl says:

Pina Coladas, sign me up! Glad you liked it. Great pics. Thanks for baking with me!

Marthe says:

This looks really pretty and tasty too! I couldn't find flaked coconut anywhere… :(

Flourchild says:

My coconut was not to toasty either..but the tart was sure good.
    Your tart looks so good, nice and fat!

Susan says:

We so often share baking experiences! I just about burned my coconut. I think the only reason it didn't burn completely is that I used frozen coconut. But, the outer edges in the pan were burnt. Too funny!

Your tart looks gorgeous! And, I'll come by for a Pina Colada anytime!

Jennifer says:

SO lovely!!!

cookies and cups says:

so funny ! I am the opposite…chunks, not so much, flaked yes please!

Jelli Bean says:

A tip for toasting coconut: toast in a dry skillet over medium low heat, stirring occasionally until golden. This way you can keep an eye on it as it browns.

erin says:

Coconut toasting and I don't always get along so I know your frustration- your tart looks delicious!

I love coconut and this looks delicious!

Sabrina says:

Great job! I had no idea when my coconut was toasted. Some seemed to be burning while others were still white.

Tasty Eats At Home says:

This would rank WAY up there on the dessert level for me. I've only made a coconut custard-like pie/tart once, and I upped the coconut flavor in the custard by swapping coconut milk for the regular dairy in the recipe. Love the way yours looks. As for toasting coconut, I usually do this in a small dry frying pan – then I can watch it. Except, I tend to get distracted, and burn it anyway…lol!

Yours looks great! I love the "earthy" taste of fresh coconut, too. But I like it pretty much any way or form!

Mary Ann says:

Beautiful pictures! I guess a few of us had issues toasting the coconut for this one!

chocolatechic says:

I am so glad to know that I'm not the only one that burnt her coconut.

Heather Davis says:

Hi Amanda. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I had actually already had a sneaky peek at yours before posting mine. Just to get an idea of how it all worked. The burnt coconut thing was something I tried to avoid by literally standing in front of the oven while it was in there. Have had plenty of experience with "over browning" on other occasions though!

jose manuel says:

Vaya pinta que tiene tu bizcocho. me apunto tu receta para hacerla en cuanto pueda.Gracias.

Bridgett says:

I'm making this for my hubby today. It looks absolutely delicious! Thanks for the inspiration.

Tia says:

It's amazing how quick the coconut burns! Your looks fantastic!

mike says:

That's the perfect pastry cream…. how do you do it? I have the hardest time… but this tart/pie looks heavenly – even without the coconut on top!

Tiffiny Felix says:

I love, love, love, love coconut! MmmmMmmmMmm…Your tart looks wonderful and creamy :)

5 Star Foodie says:

Wow, what a gorgeous tart! Looks so wonderfully decadent, I love the coconut flavor!

Valerina says:

Excellent photos! You are right about the lack of coconut flavour, I thought it was because I added extra rum. :D

Lo says:

I'm partial to unsweetened coconut, since it retains so much of its natural nutty coconut flavor.

Absolutely love the thought of this tart. Custard and coconut were made for each other.

Cakelaw says:

This looks fabulous – I'd love to sink my teeth into that custard.

margot says:

Beautiful tart! Funny how toasting coconut was the one tricky part of the recipe. I've made the same mistake, so I monitored it very carefully.

TeaLady says:

Yep! Burned my first batch of coconut too. Multi-tasking is not for the baker.

Your tart is lovely. I like the coconut around the edges.

Rachelle @ "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" says:

I loved this!! In the past I've always always burnt the coconut or nuts in the oven. Now I just do alittle bit on the stove top where I can stand there and watch it, and stir it.