Perfection Pound Cake: A TWD Rewind

Here I am again, having to apologize to my Tuesdays With Dorie host for the week as I was unable to make this week’s treat. Jodie of Beansy Loves Cake chose Dulce de Leche Duos, which are some fabulous looking cookies sandwiched around Dulce de Leche filling. Mmmmm! They can be found on page 161 of Dorie’s book, Baking From My Home to Yours. Unfortunately, unless the ingredients were already in my pantry, it wasn’t in the budget. I still want to make these, but they will have to wait until I can loosen the financial belt a bit. :(

I hate to ever miss a Tuesday with the TWD baking group, so I decided to go back through the already baked recipes and do a rewind. I chose the Perfection Pound Cake on pages 222-223.

Quick review is that the flavor is really great, but it was dry. Too dry. It didn’t seem overdone, but it must have been. At any rate, it’s worth a second try with a shorter stint in the oven. I still think my recipe for Elvis Presley’s Whipping Cream Pound Cake is the best, I haven’t found a better pound cake recipe yet. Though, the Apple Cider Pound Cake with Caramel Glaze is a close second!

Here’s Dorie’s recipe if you would like to give it a try:

Perfection Pound Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour (or 2-1/4 cups cake flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter a 9×5-inch loaf pan or an 8-1/2 x 4-1/2-inch loaf pan. Put the pan on an insulated baking sheet or on two regular baking sheets stacked one on top of the other.

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar on high speed until pale and fluffy, a full 5 minutes. Scrape down the bowl and beater and reduce the mixer speed to medium. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 to 2 minutes after each egg goes in. As you’re working, scrape down the bowl and beater often. Mix in the vanilla extract. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour, mixing only until it is incorporated – don’t overmix. In fact, you might want to fold in the last of the flour, or even all of it, by hand with a rubber spatula. Scrape the batter into the buttered pan and smooth the top.

Put the cake into the oven to bake, and check on it after about 45 minutes. If it’s browning too quickly, cover it loosely with a foil tent. If you’re using a 9×5 pan, you’ll need to bake the cake for 70 to 75 minutes; the smaller pan needs about 90 minutes. The cake is properly baked when a thin knife inserted deep into the center comes out clean.

Remove the cake from the oven, transfer the pan to a rack and let rest for 30 minutes.

Run a blunt knife between the cake and the sides of the pan and turn the cake out, then turn it right side up on the rack and cool to room temperature.

Storing:
Wrapped well, the cake will keep for 5 to 7 days at room temperature (stale cake is great toasted) or up to 2 months in the freezer.

17 Responses to Perfection Pound Cake: A TWD Rewind

Marie says:

Looks fabulous Amanda!! I love pound cake with jam too! One of my favourite indulgences!

mike says:

Looks wonderful! I have a hard time getting the "dome" on pound cake loaves for some reason. Mine have this sunken "ridge" – so I'm very impressed! Looks like a perfect substitution for the cookies – and looks like everything was on the pantry shelf for this!

jose manuel says:

Que bizcocho más delicioso se ve. Tiene una pinta que dan ganas de mojar con leche

Nickki says:

What a gorgeous looking pound cake! I've never tried this recipe but I will one day. Although I really love the sound of the Elvis pound cake, I'll be checking that recipe out :-)

Tia says:

I found it dry too when I made it! Glad to know it's not just me.
    I really like the Martha one from her baking handbook. YUM!. Moist and tight crumbed.

I'm bookmarking Elvis's whip cream pound cake. I haven't even gone to look at it yet but it sounds amazing!

Definitely looks great with the jam. Can't wait to see more blogger's Duos, since I have no idea what they're supposed to look like. I thought they were just ok.

5 Star Foodie says:

The pound cake looks terrific! Sounds so good topped with jam!

natalia says:

Wonderful ! I want to try elvis' one though !

Chow and Chatter says:

yum can't beat a good pound cake

Thanks all! The Elvis pound cake is the best so far!

Mike – To avoid the curled up rim on your pound cake do the following. After you grease the pan, take a piece of paper towel wrapped around the tip of your finger and run it around the top inside 1 inch or so of the pan. Removing that grease (and flour if involved) will keep that rim from forming and give you a nice dome!

jillbert says:

It looks pretty – too bad it was dry! And too bad you don't have any dulce de leche, because that might be just what a dry cake needs!

Valerie says:

I've had my eye on this pound cake for a while now. Your photos are lovely so it's too bad this turned out dry, but there isn't anything a large amount of butter can't fix. :)

Pamela says:

I've haven't tried this one yet, but I've read several posts where the baker stated the cake was dry. I don't think it was just you. It does look lovely covered in that jammy concoction, though!

margot says:

Beautiful photos. The jam definitely looks like a good cure for a dry pound cake. I loved the DDL duos, I hope you get a chance to make them soon.

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

I recently made this cake too! I really liked it :) Especially with Nutella.

Bummer about the pound cake being dry. I hate when I bake anything and it's dry. I'd rather eat something slighly under cooked than overcooked and dry.