TWD: Honey-Wheat Cookies

Have you ever tried to zest the rind off of a clementine? It’s not easy. The skin of a clementine is pretty thin and fairly tender, so putting just a little bit too much pressure on the fruit as you zest it will tear right through the skin, exposing the juicy fruit.

This week’s recipe in the baking group, Tuesdays with Dorie, was chosen by Michelle of Flourchild. You can visit her blog to get the recipe, or turn to page 81 in Baking From My Home to Yours. Michelle picked Honey Wheat Cookies, which called for lemon zest. Well, I didn’t have any lemons, nor did I have any lemon zest in the freezer. I also didn’t have oranges, nor any orange zest in the freezer! This is a direct result of all the pantry diving I have been doing lately. I’ve successfully depleted all of my supplies and left myself with almost nothing. I did have some clementines though. Those tiny little oranges, tasty and sweet, only available in the winter months.

There’s no way I could pass up a week with my favorite baking group, but I did not have time to run to the store with all the work I had to do. So clementines it was.

These cookies have a large amount of honey in the batter, 1/2 cup to be exact. That gives these tasty treats their wonderfully chewy texture. They are yummy, but probably not something I would make again. Just not my kind of treat, though my youngest son Dominic seems to really like them. I will probably give the rest of these cookies to my neighbor tomorrow, I know she will enjoy them. I think these would be really good with a cup of tea, if that’s your… cup of tea.

These were very easy to make and only made about 30 cookies, so they are definitely worth giving a try to see if you will like them!

34 Responses to TWD: Honey-Wheat Cookies

LDH says:

Oh your cookies look perfect… exactly all the same nice shape! They did have a unique taste. The day I made them, I liked them. The next day, I wasn't so sure. The third day I liked them again. How is that for uncertainty!

Cakelaw says:

Your cookies look great Amanda – and this is another pretty plate.

Jules Someone says:

I did a clementine version as well! No lemons and I thought lime would be too harsh.

Susan says:

Love the plate you put your cookies on. It's similar to one I used! I really liked these cookies. Kept finding myself in the kitchen with one in my mouth, uh I mean hand. :)

Tia says:

lol @ clementine zest! you've got patience girl!

Leslie says:

Zesting a clementine requires more patience than I have! These look terrific! I made mine with maple and no zest (I was feeling fairly lazy the night I made them).

Marie says:

Your cookies look fabulous Amanda! Well done!

Romaine says:

Pantry diving? I can relate. And I have never tried zesting a clementine but I can imagine the taste is wonderful. Good looking cookies.

cookies and cups says:

I say put some ice cream between them and make yummy orangey ice cream sandwiches…they look absolutely beautiful!

Sweet and Savory says:

Clementines = great solution. Gives it flair and indivuality.

Anne says:

Clementines sound fun. I was out ingredients too but will have to try these!

Valerina says:

Gorgeous pictures! And clever use on the clementines. ;D

Lauryn says:

They look great! I can defintiely see how these would not be everyone's favorite. I ended up being surprised with how much I enjoyed them. I looove clementines!

Flourchild says:

Im glad you enjoyed the cookies, they look great! Thank you for baking along with me this week.
    I had not checked my blog post and just realized there was no spacing at all..I had to go back and edit it!

Cathy says:

I agree that the texture of these is just perfect! I have to try them with clementine zest next time (dangerous as that sounds!)because the flavor had to be fantastic!

noble pig says:

The Clementine zest is just a brilliant little extra!

Tiffiny Felix says:

They're sure look good :)

~3 Sides of Crazy~ says:

I bet the Clementine zest gave them a great bite! yum :)

I did orange instead of lemon, but dang, I had clementines too!

Sorry these weren't your favorite, I really loved them.

Sarah, Maison Cupcake says:

These have a very pretty texture and it's set off beautifully by that plate.

….cup of tea. Ba dum dum. ;)
    They look perfect. That's one thing I really liked about these, they stayed nice and round, or like in Mike's case, nice and rectangular!
    We're your clementines really clementines or were they Mandarin oranges? I've noticed they gone from one to the other (Cutie brand.) Either way, both are not easy to zest.

jillbert says:

They look lovely! Too bad they weren't a hit with you. I like the idea of using a different zest, though I'm sure oranges are easier than clementines.

Erin@The Sweet Life says:

My husband and I love clementies, but I never would have thought to use the zest. In fact, we have about 5 pounds of clementines, but I went to Kroger just for a lemon for these cookies! I'm so impressed! Weren't they delicious?!

Mags says:

Lovely photo Amanda…. love the plate!

mike says:

Clementines – used those for the first time a few weeks ago. Loved them! Nice addition – I actually prefer oranges over lemons when given the chance. Lovely photos!

Becky says:

glad you found a way to make these. i totally feel your pain about zesting a clementine. I've only done it once before…and with good reason. It's so hard!

can't wait for the coconut tart! It's good!

margot says:

Amanda, I have zested a clementine and it's no fun! They're great to eat, though. Your cookies look wonderful!

Katy says:

Clementines!! Great idea, but I can't imagine how hard they were to zest!! Your pictures are lovely. :) And I'm sure your neighbor will love the cookies!!

Jess says:

Your cookies look lovely…good for you, using what you have on hand! I love pantry diving, and should do it more often.

AmyRuth says:

Wouldn't it be so cool to sit down with all our blog friends over a cup of tea and our favorite treat. Girl you crank out the food. You're the "Amazing Amanda!" Great job
    AmyRuth

Kayte says:

These were a big hit here…I kept making cups of tea to have an excuse to eat a cookie. Bad me. I have to say, even though these were not your favorite, they look outstanding, and that plate was the perfect display for these cookies. Gorgeous, the cookies and the plate!

Liz says:

Too bad these weren't your favorite, but your neighbor is sure lucky! Clementine zest sounds interesting…never tried to zest one (I guess with good reason?) but I can imagine it adding a good flavor.

Peggy says:

I just couldn't make these because the wheat germ turned me off from them. However, yours look fantastic and I think clementine zest would make them very tasty. I love the smell and taste of orange. Great job as always!

Pamela says:

These are the most glamorous TWD Honey Wheat Cookies I've seen yet. Beautiful!