TWD: Chocolate Peanut Butter Bundt

This week’s recipe is actually supposed to be called Milk Chocolate Mini Bundt Cakes. However, that posed a small problem for me.

1) I don’t own a mini bundt pan
2) I didn’t have any milk chocolate
3) No corn syrup for the glaze
4) Things are tight right now, so pantry diving is becoming my specialty

I hate to miss a Tuesdays with Dorie. I love the group, the book is fantabulous, and Dorie? Well, she goes without saying :) So instead of skipping, I did a little subbing by using up some stuff I had on hand.

The recipe calls for 7 oz of good quality milk chocolate. I had some white chocolate chips and some peanut butter chips left over in the pantry. Combined, they weighed in at 6.8 oz. Close enough!

I also didn’t have any whole milk. Now I know I could have used skim or 2%, but Dorie says in the “Playing Around” section that you can use buttermilk instead of the milk, just add an 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda to the dry ingredients. I had buttermilk, so that was perfect!

I also decided to leave out the nut swirl, as Dorie’s notes said that was perfectly fine.

Everything else was on hand, but I didn’t realize until after I made the batter that I probably should have doubled this to get a full size bundt cake. At this size, using the portions in the recipe, it took 32 minutes to bake.

So I ended up with half a bundt, a shorty cake if you will. Okay! So it looks more like a giant donut than a cake. Who cares?

When I made the glaze, instead of the corn syrup, I added in a tablespoon of unsalted butter. That didn’t work to well, it thickened the glaze too much, so I added in some heavy cream and ended up with a thick ganache. I blobbed it on top and added some nonpareils. There’s some magical about nonpareils that attracts children. So when my kids got home, naturally they devoured it!

This cake, even though it’s a peanut butter white chocolate cake, instead of a milk chocolate cake, was fabulous! Very moist, tastes wonderful, and a perfect after dinner treat. It was very simple to make too, a definite keeper!

Oh, and I have to throw in a comment about the plate that this cake is resting on. See, I picked it up a thrift store for $4.00. Isn’t it gorgeous? Problem is, I think it must have had a little dip cup or something that sat in the middle, as there’s a “cup holder type indent” right in the middle of the plate. I kept thinking “what the heck am I going to put on this besides cookies or crackers? A cake will definitely sink in the middle…”

HA! Not a bundt! So, this is my new bundt cake plate. :)

If you would like the recipe, visit this week’s host, Kristin of I’m Right About Everything or you can turn to pages 188 and 189 in Baking From My Home to Yours.

32 Responses to TWD: Chocolate Peanut Butter Bundt

Susan says:

I have started pantry diving myself. I did have everything on hand to make these according to the recipe though. Yours sounds (and looks!) really good. I will be posting later.

Bridgett says:

I can see why the kids devoured it, it look delicious!

Kitchen Flavours says:

That chocolate glaze is very tempting…….cake looks extremely drool worthy…..

MaryMoh says:

Delicious! Love the icing….yum.

Sarah, Maison Cupcake says:

That looks good cake for a party, I like the wet look icing with colourful sprinkles. Bundts are very pretty.

cookies and cups says:

So great! See, you invented a new dessert..the giant donut ;)
    Also, that plate is perfect.
    Great job with your "pantry diving" ~ love it!

Awesome, lil' bundt, big sister to the baby bundts I made! (I actually wouldn't have known it isn't the mamma if you'd have not pointed that out.)And all your pantry changes sound awesome. In a couple of my minis, I put cut up Reese's in the middle and those were the best ones, so I know pb would be great!
    AND LOVE your plate. I really want to go shopping with you!

LDH says:

Amanda, your "shorty" cake is fabulous! So pretty even if it wasn't on such a lovely thrift-store plate with the indent in the center :)

I knew when I read the glaze it was not going to work. I proceeded anyway and it totally seized-up. Tossed it out and then, I added some shortening to fresh chocolate and gently microwaved until combined.

Wish I liked the cake better… mine was dry (very dry).

Nice visiting with you!

Kindly, ldh

Federica says:

meravigliosa e golosa questa torta!

myfamousrecipe says:

I'm so impressed — it takes some imagination and confidence to be able to substitute so easily and successfully. Well done!

Kayte says:

Love the plate…so pretty. And SPRINKLES…why didn't I think of sprinkles, it's always a party when you get sprinkles out. Very pretty.

Sue Sparks says:

I never get tired of the chocolate/peanut butter combo! That's so funny, I thought right away..This looks like a giant, scrumptious donut…then I read your post and you noted that same thought:) YUM!

Tia says:

i love it – a giant donut – that's WAY better than a full sized bundt!

Looks delicious Amanda and you are right about nonpariels… there is something magical about them. They always look so good to me and make most cookies and cakes irrestistable!!

Lauryn says:

your "shorty cake" looks fabulous!! And that plate is gorgeous! I can't believe it was 4 bucks! It looks like it could be from Tiffanys! Amazing!

noble pig says:

A lovely ring of goodness.

chocolatechic says:

Love the shorty cake.

I sure hope you have enough in your pantry for next weeks.

jose manuel says:

Que aspecto tiene tu bizcocho. Me copio tu receta. Tiene que estar estupenda. Un saludo desde España

Mimi says:

Great substitutions! your cake looks awesome, the nonpareils are the perfect finish. Beautiful plate, what a steal!
    Mimi

Sweet and Savory says:

We must call you Amazin' Amanda. Your substitutions seem to have created an even better bundt cake.

I would take bets that most of us go pantry diving. Actually, it is fun. We can be more creative.

cindy says:

Love your substitutions! Isn't it fun to use what you have, especially when it turns out wonderful. I will be making these yummy treats again, soon!

Cakelaw says:

Cute cake! I oiled up a bundt pan and realised that I was not going to have enough batter to do a full bundt – so ended up having to wash up and extra pan. Love your new bundt cake plate :)

Gabe's Girl says:

Ingeniuos all around! You are right about the nonpareils. Kids love them. I remember I did too. Now, I think they are horrible! Hard on the teeth. You did great with the subs. I think buttermilk was the way to go on this one. Lovely!

margot says:

Brilliant substitions! I have never heard "pantry diving," too funny. All the baking ingredients really add up, don't they?

You have amazing thrift store luck, another great plate!

Teanna says:

Your changes are AWESOME! Like, seriously. Seriously, seriously. I would eat that big donut in one fell swoop! You are pure brilliance! I need to learn pantry diving from you because I am horrible at it! And I love your new bundt cake plate!

natalia says:

Ciao Amanda ! This is wonderful ! The dish , the changes and how it came out !

natalia says:

Ciao Amanda ! My cooment disappeared I hope this is not the double ! Anyway I loved your cake and post !

AmyRuth says:

A Eureka moment on the cake plate, Amanda. That is a really pretty plate. I love our goodwill shop this time of year. Eveyone, me included is cleaning out and getting rid of unwanted household items. Its a great score you have there. Plus you scored and winner with your kids too. They will be asking for that donut cake again, I would wager.
    AmyRuth

alvarosa says:

white chocolate and peanut butter – wow, great ideas to substitute some of the ingredients!
    i will definitely re-do them and your ideas sound like I should try them!

Diana's Cocina says:

Love the plate, and I love thrift store. The cake looks yummy!

The Queen of Quite a Lot says:

Your giant "donut" looks great. I'm glad you were able to find enough stuff to substitute to bake with me this week! Thanks!

A shorty cake …ha-ha! Love it!