Buttermilk Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate chip cookies are one of my all time my favorite cookie recipes. I’ve tried quite a few different ones lately and I haven’t been too happy with the results, with the exception of this one. It comes as no surprise though. You see, this recipe came from Linda Amendt’s fabulous cookie book “400 Sensational Cookies“.  The more I make from this book, the more I trust it impeccably. Now don’t get me wrong, I love to experiment and try all types of recipes, but sometimes you just want to make something different and you want it to work. That’s when I turn to this book.

I’ve already successfully made the following cookies from Linda’s cookbook:

White Peanut Butter Oat Chippers
Chocolate Chip Espresso Cookies
Cranberry Orange Spiral Cookies
White Chocolate Pumpkin Blondies

With such a good track record I wasn’t worried in the least. I wasn’t wrong either. These cookies baked up so perfectly shaped, they would make really wonderful ice cream sandwiches! They are nice and chewy, plenty soft, the only difference I noticed is that the buttermilk adds its own unique flavor. Because of that, I noticed a reduction in the familiar “caramel-like” flavor that you normally get from chocolate chip cookies.

It was funny, I didn’t tell anyone there was buttermilk in them. Every person in this house asked “what kind of cookies are these?” I answered “Just chocolate chip.”

“Huh.” Nom. Nom. Nom.

Even though they knew something was different, they still enjoyed them and made a huge dent the first day. By the second day, they were all gone.

Amanda’s Notes: I liked these, they were definitely good, but I still prefer the caramel-like flavor of regular chocolate chip cookies. I wonder if using more brown sugar and less white sugar would compensate for that? I loved the way these baked up. They looked perfect. Absolutely round, very soft, nice and chewy, very good.

Should you make them? I think they are definitely worth giving a try!

This book will never leave my kitchen. I love it. :)

Buttermilk Chocolate Chip Cookies

[printable version]

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter flavored shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
8 oz chopped semisweet chocolate

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

Cream shortening and both sugars on medium speed in electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing for one minute after each addition. Add vanilla. Reduce mixer to low speed and slowly add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk in two additions (flour, buttermilk, flour, buttermilk, flour). Turn off mixer and fold in chocolate.

use a cookie scoop and place on cookie sheet, about 1 1/2″ apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.

Immediately slide parchment onto cooling rack and let cookies cool for 5 minutes. Transfer cookies from parchment directly to cooling rack to cool completely.

NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit http://www.amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html

42 Responses to Buttermilk Chocolate Chip Cookies

Kayte says:

I think you should definitely make them again in the name of research to check out that sugar sub possibility for caramel flavor…for research purposes and all. They certainly look wonderful!

Tasty Eats At Home says:

These sound great. I bet you would get more caramel-y flavor by upping the brown sugar, but I bet you'll get less crispy edges and more moisture. Depending on how crispy the edges of these baked up, that might not be an issue – I personally am a fan of the crispy edge, chewy interior combo that is so wonderful in chocolate chip cookies. I do love the idea of the buttermilk flavor in these though! Yum!

Tiffiny Felix says:

How wonderful to find a cookie book like this! It's so sad when you make something new and it doesn't work, especially when you're looking forward to cookies…I like the idea of the buttermilk. I have a sour cream chocolate chip cookie recipe that's probably very similar. They're soft and chewy, but not as caramelly as reg. choco-chip cookies, and they don't get as brown when they cook, which took some getting used to ;)

cookies and cups says:

Sounds so good! How crazy, the buttermilk, sounds like I will have to give these a try!

Nutmeg Nanny says:

The buttermilk sounds like a nice twist. I will have to give them a try :)

Leslie says:

Buttermilk…interesting.
    In my CCC's I use 1/2 white sugar and 1/2 brown sugar! yum

Federica says:

che delizia questi biscotti! complimenti!

Am I not seeing the recipe or a link? I'd love to try them!

Holy cow! Right you are, I just added it. That's what I get for posting late at night LOL

Tami says:

YUM! They do look like perfectly shaped little cookies. This is one of the things that I miss the most nowadays. Let me know if you try this recipe using more brown sugar. Either way they sound delish!

Maria says:

I will have to try these. I love baking with buttermilk and you know I love cookies!

dawn says:

i don't think i've ever used buttermilk in cc cookies! ha! i saw this post and thought 'had i?"
    well i have to now. lol

Mimi says:

they do look perfect. Maybe if you reduce the amount of buttermilk, the brown sugar will be more prominent.
    Mimi

Chef Fresco says:

I've also never had buttermilk in cookies – looks delicious!

noble pig says:

I like the idea of buttermilk in there, I always have extra hanging around.

Sarah, Maison Cupcake says:

These look lovely soft and chewy just how I like them. I have buttermilk crying out to be used in the fridge.

I bet they were good. I like the bit of tang sour cream, yogurt, and buttermilk add to baked goods.

Lia says:

I made these today after trawling the Net for a buttermilk chocolate chip cookie recipe. You see, where I live (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) one can only buy buttermilk by the litre. After making a Buttermilk Herb bread and Buttermilk banana pancakes to freeze in portions for my infant daughter, I still had loads of Bmilk to spare. So, your cookies!
    The recipe is delicious! I added walnuts and increased the brown sugar proportion of the sugars. My cookies were very puffy, in contrast to yours.
    Unfortunately, after eating 5 cookies, I ruined my dinner! My husband laughed because I can ALWAYS finish my dinner. Not this time :)
    Thank you for the recipe.

That's so awesome Lia! I am so glad you liked them, I need to make these again too :)

choc choc says:

can i use butter in lieu of shortening? if so, is it 1:1?

Yes, you can substitute butter.

hunter says:

These got great! Try them. I added more buttermilk.

Tod says:

I’m not trying to be a jerk…. but the recipe does not say how much Butrtermilk to use……

1/2 Cup??

1/2 Tbsp?

1/2 tsp?

1/2 Gallon?

I went to the store to buy buttermilk for the first time in my 50 years…

I’m ready for some cookies!

Lynn Reynolds says:

Just made these buttermilk chocolate chip cookies. I added a full 12 oz bag of chocolate chips. I think my husband might eat this entire batch tonight. I have finally masteted ththe soft melt in your mouth cookie recipe for him. Thank you!

Kim Pucka says:

I am excited! We make our own butter and make buttermilk all the time but I rarely use much of it….can’t wait to try this!
    I have to switch it to butter of course and for your dilemma, try your recipe with dark brown sugar…that is where you will get the caramel you are looking for!
    Here’s to cooking! Thank you for sharing!!

Alisha Villard says:

I HATED homemade chocolate chip cookies, no matter the recipe they just never did taste right to me, so I never baked them after about 20 different variations of recipes. Then I found stumbled upon this recipe about a year ago, and thought “buttermilk hmmmm interesting” Tried them and I LOVE them, with the kind of passion it takes serious self control not to eat a dozen in one sitting. It’s by far the best recipe I have ever made or tasted for that matter. Everyone’s taste is a little different no matter how similar, so for those of you who don’t like the recipe as much, send the cookies to me! Hahaha Thanks for posting it!1

Tamara says:

Just made them and they are good. Thank you for the recipe

Dalia says:

Going to be making these tonight!

Guy says:

Hello Amanda, I was looking up recipes for chocolate chip cookies using buttermilk and found your site. I was wondering if you thought to maybe try Muscovado sugar, to try for that carmel taste? At any rate I think I might make 2 batches one regular and one with the Muscovado (although it will make them slightly moister).

Thanks for the mention above of the other cookies and the book too; I’m all over it!

Diane says:

Lisa Kudrow (in MORE magazine) says always use ALL brown sugar in Chocolate Chip Cookies….I’m gonna try this….

Diane says:

Hey, tried it with all brown sugar…yum! Also added some walnuts. OMG!!!

mek says:

hi. this is my first time to make cookies. are you suppose to flatten the cookies after you scoop them? Thank you :-)