TWD: Mrs. Vogel’s Scherben

What’s a scherben you might ask? Scherben translates from German to English into the word “shards”, which would explain all the broken glass images that were the results of my google query. :-/

Mrs. Vogel’s Scherben, on the other hand, is a deep fried crispy cookie (or it can be a rock hard cookie, or even a tender cookie if you are like me and break your candy thermometer by stupidly taking it from hot oil and putting it under cold running water, hence no longer being able to measure the temp of the oil. Don’t be like me.) made from dough rolled very thin and cut into “shards”. After deep frying, they are then sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and powdered sugar and gobbled up by anyone who walks into the kitchen and says “What’s that??”

These were good. They were messy. Tasty little treats that were fun to make and cross off my “yep I’ve made that before” list. Would I make them again? Maybe. I only say maybe because they really are good and pretty easy to make, they just require some forethought and it’s not really something that’s easy to store. They really need to be eaten the same day, and there was no danger of that here.

I made a couple of mistakes. If you actually read my ramblings, you already read that I broken my candy thermometer. You see, I put the oil on and had the flame too high. I didn’t measure the temp and dropped a couple of dough strips in only to have them turn brown within ten seconds. The recipe said it would take 2-3 minutes. Ok genius, pull out the thermometer. Wow, that sucker shot all the way to the top. It’s only supposed to be 350 F. Sheesh. Ok, so I tried cooling the oil and I could see that was going to take a while. Since I didn’t use a huge pan, just a small saucepan, I poured more oil into a clean pot and started over. Put it over medium heat this time and went to rinse my candy thermometer off. CRACK. Stupid! Still can’t believe I did that. I mean really, that’s Science 101 ya know?

*sigh*

Ok trash the thermometer and wing it. I kept it at medium heat and tested with a small piece of dough. When it seemed about right I started cooking. I know I didn’t have the temp right, but they came out fine, browning nicely. I drained them, dredged them in cinnamon sugar and powdered sugar and tapped off the excess. Then they were gone, into the mouths of my 17 year old and 12 year old. I got a couple, but that was it, no one else got anything.

I should probably mention that I did try to bake some at 400, left them in for 12 minutes. There were too brown and the sugar wouldn’t stick. Kind of stupid of me to make a whole cookie sheet that way. Those got tossed. The rest were good though, but a lot of clean up afterward. I think “clean up” and “powdered sugar” just go hand in hand, no?

If you would like to try this great recipe, visit this week’s host, one of my favorite food bloggers, Teanna of Spork or Foon? Or if you like, you can find the recipe on pages 157-159 in Dorie Greenspan’s wonderful book, Baking From My Home to Yours.

32 Responses to TWD: Mrs. Vogel’s Scherben

Teanna says:

You are one of my favorite food bloggers as well! I am so glad you baked and fried along with me this week, but I must say, I feel personally responsible for the broken thermometer! :(

tastyeatsathome says:

I have broken many a candy thermometer doing things like you mentioned (or even just dropping the thing.) Which is why I only buy the cheap-o ones. They do look tasty, regardless!

Kayte says:

LOL on the trashing thermometer and winging it! You are too funny. I am not good at winging anything, so Kudos to you for that. They look lovely, their little fried selves all dusted so nicely. Guys here loved them, big big hit, so am sure there will be Scherben in my not-so-distant future.

Sabrina says:

I wasn't able to make mine this week, but yours look wonderful! I googles Scherben too and got pics of glass shards… that would explain it! :)

These WERE fun, huh! I doubled the batch and we ate them last night, but we still have some leftover and I just ate one. Still crunchy and not bad (except that it's fried food). I'll probably let the boys eat some for breakfast!

Great photos. Some of mine I made in to pillows, not shards.

Pamela says:

Sorry about the candy thermometer, but it looks like things turned out pretty good anyway. Nice job.

natalia says:

How beautiful !! I'm sorry about the accident!

Clivia says:

This recipe really gave you a workout. And you lost a thermometer in the bargain! At least for family enjoyed them. And you got some lovely photos!

The Cookie Girl says:

Looks delicious

Sarah says:

I was very pleasantly surprised by these, but probably won't make them again any time soon, either. They were amazingly light for something that had been deep-fried! Kudos to you for frying blind, your scherben looks perfect, so I'd say you were pretty close to the right temp. Lovely photos, glad your kids enjoyed the scherben!

Hornedfroggy says:

Pretty photos – your scherben look fantastic! :) Sorry about your thermometer, though!

LDH says:

I tried baking a few too. I tossed the dough into the cinnamon sugar before baking so more would stick. I thought they were okay. This morning my husband tasted both and like the baked ones better because he didn't taste the oil.

Love visiting with you, Amanda!
    ldh

Sharon says:

Sorry you had so much trouble with these but you didn't give up. Love your blog.

Karen says:

Yikes! Sorry you broke your thermometer! Mine shot right up as well. I had it on high and should have had it on medium. Glad the kids liked these!

Sarah, Maison Cupcake says:

I've always been a bit scared of deep fat frying but I should get over it. I'd never heard of these, thanks for telling me about them.

mike says:

Thermometers are so finicky and they are never quite accurate it seems (given that I own several)! These look really wonderful!!! Even despite the minor problems – you'd never know it!

Although I skipped these, they certainly look like they are so easily eaten that it could be considered dangerous. :)

Nutmeg Nanny says:

Candy thermometers are the worse. Last year I was ready to put mine on my pan and I dropped it and it broke everywhere. From now on I'm sticking with the automatic non glass type. I'm to clumsy to own the other ones…haha.

Now these cookies looks great. I hate frying stuff (not because of the fat but b/c I hate the smell) so I will live vicariously through your post ;)

Cakelaw says:

Your cookies turned out great, even if your thermometer was sacrificed to the cause. Glad you liked them – and they look so pretty on the white plate.

noble pig says:

I love these little fried morsels.

Susan says:

Wow! You really had a rough time. Sorry about the candy thermometer! Your photos look great!

Barbara Bakes says:

My family would love this little shards. Sorry about the thermometer! I've had those moments too!

Mary says:

They look well worth the thermometer sacrifice:) I only fried mine, and quite liked them with lots of sugar. And then I cleaned up…

MaryBeth says:

These look very interesting, i think I would love them…

Gabe's Girl says:

I need a candy thermometer. I hope you get a new one soon :-( I think your scherben looks good!

Flourchild says:

Way to go on trying baked and fried. To bad the baked didn't work out so well! I had to pass on this one..

Clueless_Cook says:

These look yummy! I'm going to give them a try, DH loves German goodies. Don't beat yourself up too bad over the thermometer. You made me feel great, not being the only one who has clueless moments. One time I did something similar by pushing an aquarium heater back into the water after hearing it sizzle when I walked by it a couple of times. Pop and the mercury killed my fish.

margot says:

Nice save, Amanda! Your scherben look yummy and it sounds like they were quite a hit. That is a lovely plate they're on.

shortbreadsouth says:

I thought these were such fun, and messy too! But worth it.

steph- whisk/spoon says:

those look great! sorry to hear about the loss of your thermometer. i hate when stuff like that happens to me (which is all the time-hehe!).

Bummer about the thermometer! So, basically what we have here is fried dough and cover it in cinnamon sugar AND powdered sugar? Can we say YUM? Yes, we can! :)

jillbert says:

They look great, despite all your trials and tribulations! They were messy! My husband's shirt was covered in powdered sugar after eating these.