TWD: Cocoa-Nana Bread

Yummy, yummy. This is definitely yummy. Mine was too dry, but I guarantee that was my fault. You see, I opened the oven at the earlier scale of the 70-75 minutes, in fact I checked it at 65 minutes, and then baked the full 75. At 65 minutes, I inserted a knife into the center and it came out with what I thought was wet batter. I should have known better, I’m sure now it was melted chocolate.

Oh well, it still had an awesome flavor, and just look at how beautiful it is!

This recipe is a winner. The banana is more of an aftertaste than anything, but it’s still a great addition. Some of the other TWD bakers subbed the bananas with applesauce, and I think someone else tried pears! I’m sure they were all good. The bananas are second stage, it’s the cocoa and the chocolate that gets the spotlight in this recipe.

I even topped mine with a little peanut butter and tried some Nutella on another slice. If I hadn’t overbaked it, this would not have been necessary. :)

To get the recipe, check out our host this week, Steph of Obsessed with Baking. Or if you have the book, Baking From My Home to Yours, turn to page 46.

27 Responses to TWD: Cocoa-Nana Bread

Susan says:

I think we are sisters in baking. :) I checked my bread at about 60 minutes, got a wetish looking knife. Baked for another 10 minutes and the bread was over baked!! Good, but a bit dry. That's at least the second time we have had almost identical results! Crazy. Bread looks good though. :)

margot says:

Amanda, I think I did exactly the same thing! I thought it took an exceptionally long time to bake. Yours looks fantastic, regardless.

Steph says:

I'm so glad you enjoyed this despite the dryness. It looks amazing smothered with PB and nutella.

noble pig says:

Yeah, I've done that! But the nutella sounds awesome anyway.

Rachelle @ "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" says:

Well it looks good, and with those toppings, mmm! I may be baking this tomorrow, last minute.

natalia says:

Ciao Amanda ! I loved it too ! Love the 'enriched' slices !

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

I'd gladly overbake all my breads if it means smothering them with Nutella :)

Flourchild says:

Your bread looks so good and I love the spread! I added reese's peanut butter cups to mine!

Mags says:

I've done the overbaking thing many times too. It's always more difficult to tell when chocolate is involved.

It looks heavenly though!

Yours is the first I've looked at and I'm at least happy to know the muffins I made with this look just like the bread! I thought my muffins were a little dry, too! I think this could have used more banana, but I'm crazy that way! ;)

erin says:

I did't even think of using peanut butter or nutella as a spread- that sounds amazing!

Valerina says:

Peanut butter and nutella on this bread must have been pure bliss! I love how dark and rich it looks. :)

Tia says:

mine was too dry too, i did a marbled version. the top of yours is so nice and shiny!

Pamela says:

Peanut butter and Nutella…what a tasty combo and what a trooper you are! It does look pretty.

Gabe's Girl says:

Smart toppings! I love it. It was a beautiful dense bread, wasn't it? I also have trouble figuring out melted chocolate and wet batter. This time, I decided melted chocolate right away. I did not want to overdo it. I got lucky! Beautiful work.

Gracie says:

Gosh…your loaf looks a lot like mine! The funny thing is, I thought the same thing when I tested the doneness.
    Thanks for sharing!

Cakelaw says:

Yummo – your bread looks extra delish with the peanut butter and Nutella spread on top.

Teanna says:

You read my MIND with this bread! I was going to top it with nutella and peanut butter, but I ended up making these as brownies instead. And… well… I try not to keep Nutella in the house because I will exist off of nothing but Nutella in the house for weeks. It's not pretty. The bread looks great!

LDH says:

Oh, the slice with peanut butter on it makes me want to head to the pantry right now and slather some on a piece! This recipe improves with age. I sliced and froze some and my family loves it.

Kayte says:

Thanks for the tip re the melted chocolate being runny and making it difficult to tell if something is done…I never thought of that before. I learn something new over here every time! Your photos look really good, are you sure this wasn't the biggest hit ever???

Erin@The Sweet Life says:

This was delicious. And oh mercy goodness…you added peanutbutter and Nutella on top?! I'll have to try that!

TeaLady says:

Ditto on the overbaking. Mine was awfully dense. Yours, on the other hand, has great texture.

Eating with PB. That would help a lot.

mike says:

Wow… that looks really good – and I agree, the banana played second fiddle to the chocolate – nothing wrong with that! Nicely done!

Romaine says:

Peanut butter looks really good. That makes them nutritious. Right?

jillbert says:

It looks extra good with the PB and Nutella on top! I've had the same issue testing for doneness when there are chocolate chunks inside – I end up poking it a whole bunch of times and still wonder whether it's done!

Mimi says:

Peanut butter and Nutella are great additions to this bread.
    Mimi

Sesi says:

I baked muffins instead of an entire bread, and added some rum. Do not add the rum, as it does not blend well with the chocolate. The density and moistness was perfect though, I will definitely try this one out again, but without the rum.