TWD: Cocoa-Buttermilk Birthday Cake

I’m apologizing today for a couple of reasons:

1) I did not do justice to Dorie and this cake. Mine was horribly dry and the icing did not work, even after adding well above the amount of icing sugar it called for. I was completely disappointed, BUT I want to point out that I’m sure I must have done something wrong. Many other TWD bakers enjoyed this cake, and while the flavor was good, I must have over baked it. SIGH Hence the one horrible picture.

2) I also want to apologize to the other TWD bakers. I am struggling to get around to your blogs and leave comments as I have taken on a considerable amount of extra hours lately. I am so bogged down by work that I haven’t even been posting here as often as I like. Please forgive me, I hope to get back in the swing again soon. :(

Meanwhile, if you would like to try this recipe you can find it on “slush” by Laurie, the founder of Tuesdays with Dorie, or within Dorie Greenspan’s fabulous book Baking From My Home to Yours , on pages 256-7.

34 Responses to TWD: Cocoa-Buttermilk Birthday Cake

slush says:

Aww, so sorry it didnt work for you, but it looks fantastic! Thanks so much for baking along with me.

Sabrina says:

It really does look nice, even if you don't think it tastes very good. Have a great day!

I thought the cake was a little dry, too. Baked 10 cupcakes for 17 minutes. Hmmm. I made a different frosting as I'd heard someone else say they didn't care for this one.

You rock just because I can't believe all that you do and can even still participate in TWD.

Having a giveaway on my blog today!

Romaine says:

Life gets in the way of fun sometimes. No problem. Cake looks pretty good to me. Oh the magic of photography.

Susan says:

That is funny that we had almost identical experiences! I often find scratch cocoa cakes to be dry…not sure what it is. Must have been me too though, because there have been few (if any) fails in Dorie's book so far. Oh well, it's all part of the fun of trying new recipes! :)

chocolatechic says:

So sorry it was dry.

I made the tarte and it was wonderful.

Kayte says:

I have to say, it's pretty much a crap shoot over at my place on a weekly basis whether or not something will match the photo or the expectations. I got lucky on both the cake and the tart, but I wouldn't look for this trend to continue. I have to say…yours does look lovely.

Flourchild says:

Bummer on the cake but not to worry it still looks good! I don't think you could ever bake anything that didn't! I made the TT!

Tia says:

aww… too bad it didn't turn out, but it looks good anyhow!

No sweat, Amanda! It's toooo soon into the New Year to be stressing. Take it easy and good luck with work. :)

Chow and Chatter says:

no problem Amanda we all love you Rebecca

noble pig says:

You win some you lose some. Cakes can be finicky.

Teanna says:

Mine was insanely dry, too! I used a simple syrup and the worked for a little bit, but the next day, the cake was like sandpaper! We all love you, Amanda!

Leslie says:

Still looks pretty

Justin says:

it's hard to imagine that not tasting as good as it looks

mike says:

It looks great Amanda… I agree, it was dense, crumbly and somewhat dry – not sure if that was the right texture or not! It's only one cake though – others to come! Nicely done this week!

Snooky doodle says:

what a pity ! it looks delicious! I know how it feels not having much time.

Lynnylu says:

Your cake looks good anyway. I'm not a cake baker myself-mine look more like the Leaning Tower of Pisa. I made the Tarte Tatin. Not to worry about commenting-Thanksgiving and Christmas took all my time from blogging.

natalia says:

I'm sorry Amanda !! I hope you'll work less !!

Cakelaw says:

Sorry to hear it didn't work out – it happens to us all. Hope everything gets a little easier for you soon.

Meryl says:

I haven't made this particular cake, but I've had poor results with the 5 Dorie Greenspan recipes I've tried, and I've been baking successfully for upteen years. For a very deep chocolatey, moist, tender, dense, but not heavy, chocolate cake, try Cook's Illustrated's Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake. It's even more moist and more chocolatey when wrapped and left on the counter overnight. If you don't have access to their site, I'd be happy to email you the recipe.

pinkstripes says:

No worries–blogging and all the associated duties should be fun.

For whatever reason, sometimes recipes don't work. Too bad this one didn't for you. There is always next week…

Tracey says:

Bummer that this one didn't work for you but hopefully you'll get a chance to try it again another time. I went with cupcakes and thought they were good, though I did skip the frosting in the book and go with peanut butter icing instead.

Hope things slow down for you soon!

Oh please, I am so overloaded right now I am typing through half closed eyes – I understand completely!

It wasn't just you with the cake – I had the same problems too!

HoneyB says:

Sorry this didn't work out for you Amanda! I had this happen to me recently with a cake I had at my aunts that was so AWESOME. Then I made it and it didn't turn out anywhere near as good. I know I did something wrong, just not exactly sure what!

Maria says:

YEA for 2 years!

Karen says:

Even your "don't do it justice" photos are nice! :) Bummer this didn't turn out as well as you had hoped. Maybe next weeks recipe will be better.

jillbert says:

I think your photo is cute! But what a bummer that this didn't turn out for you. There's always next week!

TeaLady says:

Bummer that it happened this way. Been there and it soooo frustrating. Maybe it will work next time.

Sue Sparks says:

I would never have known that it was dry from your photo…I think it looks yummmy!!!

Susan says:

Hey There
    I'm new to your site. Don't even know how I came across it, but who cares. I'm a foodie, so this is great. The cake looks fabulous….as long as it's chocolate and that's for me.

I know the feeling very well Amanda! The photo does look good though and sounds good with the buttermilk.

Nutmeg Nanny says:

Awww I'm sorry the cake didn't turn out. In all honesty I think it still look tasty :)

Pamela says:

I'm sorry the cake didn't come out they way you were hoping. At least you tried. Take care of yourself and don't work too hard!! We will see you when you have time. :o)