TWD: Chocolate Oatmeal Almost-Candy Bars

Lately I’ve been trying to use things from my pantry, trying to cut costs that have all too often been grossly inflated by my baking adventures. So when I reviewed the recipe for Chocolate Oatmeal Almost-Candy Bars in Dorie’s book, I had to make a few substitutions, no running to the store for me. They worked fine and the results were quite tasty. This isn’t your traditional bar cookie, and I’m not a huge fan of oatmeal and granola type treats, so while it wasn’t in my top ten, I definitely still enjoyed it.

This is a pretty easy recipe actually, and the visual results are quite grand. You start, like every other baking recipe, by whisking together your dry ingredients, beating your butter and sugars, adding your eggs and vanilla, then mixing in the dry goodies. Next you stir in some oats and nuts, reserve some for the topping, then press the rest into the pan for your crust.

Then you make the chocolate layer by melting together some condensed milk, chocolate and butter, then stirring in vanilla, raisins and nuts. The chocolate mixture goes on top of the crust, then you add the topping and bake. Simple!

I substituted dried cranberries for the raisins and pecans for the peanuts. I also had to chop up some semisweet chocolate as I didn’t have any chocolate chips handy.

Dorie thinks these are best served cold from the fridge, and I have to agree. They are still good at room temperature, but definitely better cold. :)

To get the recipe, turn to pages 114-115 in Baking From My Home to Yours, or visit this week’s host, Lillian of Confectiona’s Realm.

Oh hey. See that plate in the picture? I found that in a thrift store a month or so ago. Well this past weekend I was at another thrift store (cuz that’s how I roll), in a different town even, and found a coffee cup that matched the plate exactly.

What are the odds??

36 Responses to TWD: Chocolate Oatmeal Almost-Candy Bars

LDH says:

Hi Amanda! Those bars look better than ever on the plate with the matching coffee mug! Your own personal treat set :)

Rachelle @ "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" says:

I love your changes of using cranberries and pecans. I like them chilled best too.
    I also love finding (photo props) at the thrift store!

Martha says:

Love your matching coffee mug and plate and the changes you made to the recipe to accommodate what you had around. Can't wait to give these a try.

Cakelaw says:

These turned out great for you! I adored them – but with 60 of them, I had to offload at work. How cool is that about the matching plate and cup from different stores?

Marie says:

Your bars look delicious Amanda. I am afraid I just haven't kept up with TWD this year. Too much chocolate. In a house where the husband hates chocolate and the budget is tight, I just can't justify baking them. Enjoy seeing yours though!!!

natalia says:

Ciao ! I love your findings !! Great bars !

Romaine says:

Nice find on the china!

Let us know how cooking out the pantry progresses. I have the exact same problem.

Like how you cut the cookies in long skinny bars–kinda like a candy bar which they are.

I was going to say I love the plate before you even mentioned it. Love your slim cuts of bars, too!
    I went with pecans, too. And caramel…no raisins! This is a great recipe and very adaptable and very bad-for-me!

chocolatechic says:

I heart thrift stores.

I used peanut butter chips in the topping, and left out the raisins and cinnamon.

Kitchen Flavours says:

Wow…love those crunchy looking bars…like to give it a try….

Sweet and Savory says:

What fun – finding the cup and they are attractive. Your cookies (candy) are, also. This was fun to make and more fun to eat.

myfamousrecipe says:

Your substitutions of cranberries and pecans sound lovely. I wish I'd used almonds and cherries, always a favorite combination of mine. Next time!

theUngourmet says:

I love finding plates and mugs at thrift shops. How great that these match! My kids would love your bars! I've have to make some for them (and for me too). :)

Tia says:

i'm in the same mindset – use up stuff in the pantry! great job!

I thought these were better slightly warm – then the chocolate wasn't quite so stiff.

Lillian says:

Ooh, pecans. That sounds great. I'll have to try that next time. Thanks for baking along with me this week!

Sabrina says:

That plate and cup were meant to be! :)
    Great job with the bars!

Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} says:

YUM! I will have to make some :)
    I L-O-V-E thrift store/junkin' my husband says our house is decorated "garage-sale-chic" LOL!

Tami says:

Boy, those bars look great! It's times like this that make low carbing hard. I have the ingredients here to make these…but I will hold off and just look at your pics instead. YUM!

Maria says:

I haven't tried these yet, they look mighty rich!

Tiffiny Felix says:

Yum! :)

noble pig says:

Love the cranberry substitution and the mug/plate thing is pretty funny.

berrybushel says:

I almost did the cranberry substitution, but at the last minute decided I wasn't feeling it. I have regretted that multiple times today…yours look great!

Susan says:

I love your cup and plate! How lucky was that, finding both in different stores! Your substitutions sound great and your bars look delicious!

Sharon says:

The plate and mug are too cute. I thought the bars where pretty good also.

doriegreenspan says:

your bars look great and I love your substitutions — but then you're always so creative in your baking

mike says:

What great substitutions – love pecans (along with cranberries). It's great when you can use up and not have to make the store trip. They look beautiful!

Lauryn says:

WOW!! That really is amazing that you found a matching coffee mag at a different thrift store! I love the pattern! Your bars look great!! I agree with you, I liked this one, didn't live for them, but definitely liked them!

Teanna says:

I love that you found a matching coffee cup! It is kismet! Those bars look great! I liked them better cold as well!

Even with the chocolate these look and sound yummy to me…. just NO raisins! Good to know I can mix things up a bit and still get good results!

PheMom says:

I know what you mean – I've been trying to 'shop' my pantry more too, though I did spring for the peanuts this time, just because my son loves them so much. I love how cute your little sliced bars turned out – that looks like what I imagined they should!

Kayte says:

They look just wonderful. Love the plate with that linen beneath it, such a great complimenting team! You always make everything look so delicious and welcoming…I would love to come into your kitchen and sit awhile and chat…always so nice over here. I don't always take time to comment, but I always take time to come over and have a peek and read!

margot says:

Enjoyable, but not a top ten is how I felt about them too. I love the presentation of them on that adorable plate. Thrift store shopping is the best.

Bridgett says:

These look delicious but I agree with you, oatmeal treat are not my favorite, but I wouldn't pass up a taste test! I love your little plates. I used to scour thrift stores for unique dishes…its so fun to see what you can find.

TeaLady says:

The pantry is always a good store to visit.

I used cashews in mine. Good idea to use the cranberries.

Love the plate/cup. Love thrift/junk stores.

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

The bars look great! What a great find the matching set is!