Chocolate Cola Cake

As a kid, chocolate cake wasn’t really my favorite, I was a yellow cake kinda gal. As I’ve gotten older, chocolate cake has climbed up my list of things I enjoy. My husband and kids love chocolate cake, so when I came across this recipe on Marie’s blog, The English Kitchen (one of my favorite food bloggers I might add!) I knew I just had to make it. Marie holds a special endearing quality for me, she’ from England, my home land. I love seeing what she is cooking and baking. While I’ve been in America all my life, I have a special place in my heart for Jolly Ole England. :)

I only have one decent photo of this cake. It just went too fast!

Marie’s icing came out considerably creamier than mine. Mine was stiffer, but I’m sure, equally delicious. While Marie was kind enough to give the U.S. standard equivalents, there were a couple of adjustments that I made:

Instead of self rising flour, I used all purpose flour and added baking powder and salt. Those adjustments are reflected in my adaptation below.

I also had to substitute for the golden caster sugar. I’m not even sure if that’s available here in the states, it’s certainly not something you’ll find in my little one horse town. So instead, I ran some turbinado sugar through the food processor to make my own golden caster sugar. :)

The main reason I chose to make this cake was because my husband had accidentally dropped a can of Coke on the floor and dented the can. He won’t drink it after that and I hate to let those go to waste! This cake used almost the entire can, so it worked out perfectly.

The result is a deliciously moist and flavorful chocolate that everyone in this house loved. Nothing went to waste, it was all gobbled up! So if you are looking for a tasty chocolate cake, try this, you won’t be disappointed.

Chocolate Cola Cake
adapted from The English Kitchen

[printable version]

For the cake:
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups turbinado sugar that has been ground fine in a food processor (measure after grinding)
3 heaping tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
generous pinch of baking soda
200 ml of cola drink (slightly more than 3/4 cup) (your measuring cup probably has ML on it)
1/4 cup milk
2 large eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract

For the buttercream icing:
4 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered or icing sugar, sifted
2 to 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
2 tablespoons cola drink

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Butter two 9 inch round cake pans. Set aside.

Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, cocoa powder and baking soda together in a large bowl. In saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter and cola together. Add to the dry ingredients along with the milk, eggs and vanilla. Mix gently but thoroughly. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 33-38 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool.

Beat all the icing ingredients together until smooth and fluffy. Spread over cooled cake.

24 Responses to Chocolate Cola Cake

Bethie says:

Looks fantastic! I am always tempted to try a piece that Cracker Barrel serves, but have not yet. Yours looks waaaay better. YUMMY!!!

Susan says:

Sounds delicious Amanda! I may have to try that as I love chocolate cake.

Susan says:

Oh I'm so trying this. Anything that sounds kind of off the wall is worth a try in my book. I bet it's good. Love your blog.

Marie says:

So glad you enjoyed the cake Amanda! It's a winner for sure! Thanks so much for your kind words. They mean the world to me! Your place is one of my favourite places to visit too!!! xxoo

Mags says:

I've seen recipes for "Coke" cake before but they all include a box of cake mix. This is the first recipe I've seen making it from scratch. Looks delicious!

NikiTheo says:

I've always wanted to try a cake that had pop in it! I've seen 7-up cakes, Dr. Pepper cakes, this cake… But we don't drink much pop in our house, so when I get around to do it, I never have what I need!
    How is this cake different than normal chocolate cakes w/out pop? Does it have a dif consistency or taste?

I look at cake like this and since my family doesn't really like cake (WHAAA???), I suppose I can only be happy there's a least one yummy thing I don't have to worry about eating too much of!
    Looks de-lish! (I not-so-secretly love cake and especially frosting myself.)

lisaiscooking says:

Sounds so interesting with the coke! Looks like a rich and delicious cake!

Barbara Bakes says:

I've seen cola cakes before and have been wanting to try it. Glad to know you liked it. It does look moist and delicious!

noble pig says:

Yum, I've made 7 up cake but never cola, sounds and looks delish.

Sarah, Maison Cupcake says:

This looks lovely, I have a Nigella Lawson recipe for coca cola cake but have never tried it – although I have cooked ham in coca cola many times.

Chow and Chatter says:

what a cool cake are you British?

Cakelaw says:

This looks fabulous! I am not surprised that it disappeared so quickly.

Thanks everyone, it was great!

NikiTheo – I think the biggest different is that because you melt the coke with the butter it creates a caramely mixture that you add to the batter. That just made it taste better, but it's hard to describe. The consistency is the same, just tastes better :) Sorry, not much help am I? LOL

Rebecca – yes I am British :) I was born in Leicestershire and still have family in and around Cornwall and Worcestershire. However, I've been in the states since I was 2 years old.

Karen says:

I think a coca-cola cake is an old recipe. I love chocolate cake, but you have to have a nice ice cold glass of milk with it :)

Nutmeg Nanny says:

Delicious! I have seen coke before but never completely from scratch. I really want to try this recipe…yum!

Maria says:

Cola in a cake…interesting! Looks tasty!

I've always been a vanilla gal myself but unlike yourself chocolate cake, ice cream, cookies,and cupcakes are still at the bottom.

What I do like are cakes (& other baked yummies) that call for soda. Something about the soda just makes them extra tender and moist. YUM!

Btw, your cake does look good despite it being chocolate. :)

Bridgett says:

I am a chocolate cake fiend, so this is right up my alley. Your photo is gorgeous and has me practically drooling over my keyboard. I am off to check out Marie's blog now.

Ok so I made this recipe and OH my Godness my husband said it was the best cake he had ever had. But there was a problem the cake was so crumbly. I couldn't even cut it. It just feel apart. Beyond yummy but what can I do use buttermilk next time would that help? Seriously beyond delious, I just can't give up.

Thanks all! :)

Anonymous – So glad you enjoyed it! :) We loved it here too. As for the crumbly texture, that can be caused from a few different things:

1) using too much flour. this is often caused by not using the scoop and sweep method of measuring flour, but rather by sticking the measuring cup into the flour bag and scooping it out.

2) not enough sugar

3) over beating the batter.

This can also happen if you don't let the cake cool completely. If it's still crumbly after it's cooled completely, you can try putting it in the refrigerator for a while to try and firm it up.

Culinary Cory says:

Yummy! I'm going to have to try this soon. In fact, my birthday is just around the corner. Just might be the perfect excuse to bake this.

becky says:

Ok, I read your response and thanks it could have been two things the sugar and maybe the flour. But I'm really thinking the sugar. I'm going to make this for my husbands birthday on Sat. So I want it to turn out better. Maybe I didn't grind the sugar enough I will try it again. I have never ground sugar before this recipe so wish me luck!!!

Dolça says:

It looks nice. I'm going to cook it.
    Thanks