TWD: Sugar-Topped Molasses Spice Cookies

Tuesdays with Dorie is a little all over the place for November. :) You see, for this month, due to the craziness of the holidays, our gracious blog event host is allowing us to pick from all four of this month’s picks and make them on any Tuesday of the month. Last week I made the amazing All In One Holiday Bundt which I will definitely be making again for Thanksgiving. :)

This week I made the Sugar-Topped Molasses Spice Cookies which was chosen by Pamela of Cookies with Boys. You can find the recipe on her blog or on pages 76 and 77 of Dorie Greenspan’s Baking From My Home to Yours.

I had been meaning to make these for several days. It’s been a bit crazy here this past week. My 10 year old son had the flu, though thankfully that is over with. Our 12 year old son was in the playoffs for football, and my ten year old had his end of season football party, so I was busy making football jersey cookies (posting this week!), and we went to 12 yo’s football game which they won and are now the division champs! Woohoo! He goes to the “Super Bowl” next weekend. Phew! Then today it was shampoo the carpet day, so luckily this was a REALLY easy recipe to put together and I was able to sneak them out without any issues.

I did what the book said, which was to bake 12 cookies on a baking sheet, however I used a standard baking sheet and these cookies really spread. Therefore, my first batch ended up square because they had nowhere else to go but into each other. :-/ The flavor however, made me forget all about that, man these are good!

So I pulled out the big flat baking sheets and just to be safe, I only baked 6 at a time…

and the results were perfectly round, crack topped beauties! I did have a couple of them stick to the spatula as I was removing them, so if you make these make sure you clean off your spatula between batches.

Big hit. Very big hit. Wowsers!

These are super good, and they are awesome when still warm. My youngest son can be seen here enjoying one after school. Mmmmm. :)

These are a wonderful cookie for the holidays, do not hesitate to try them!!

37 Responses to TWD: Sugar-Topped Molasses Spice Cookies

Rachelle @ "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" says:

They look great! I'll be making these next.

pinkstripes says:

Your cookies look wonderful, but even the misshapen square ones tasted delicious!

jillbert says:

Sounds like these were a smashing success! I've never made a cookie like this before, but we liked them a lot too.

Nutmeg Nanny says:

The cookies that got squished look like toast:) I love molasses cookies so I'm sure these were amazing!

Congrats to your son's football team! I can't wait to see the jersey cookies. Of course, as I'm writing this, my 10 year old is watching the Steelers/Broncos game….

I loved these cookies too – they were easy and tasty. Perfect combo!

Cakelaw says:

These look great! Thanks for the tip about the number of cookies per baking sheet.

Marie says:

Amanda, your cookies look fab, even the square ones!! So does that little sweetie enjoying one of them. What a cutie pie!

Mary Ann says:

I love the pic of the square ones-lol! That is how a couple of mine turned out too. Your round ones look absolutely perfect! These were a big hit at our house as well.

Nina says:

Your cookies look perfect! Even the square ones-ha! These were a HUGE hit in our house. Can't wait to make them again!

Kayte says:

I never knew you could get square cookies from round ones! They are very unique, don't you think? Your round ones are picture perfect, just like your little taste tester, so fun to see him enjoying his cookie. Division Champs — YAHOO! Good luck with the rest of it!

Beryl says:

These cookies are always a huge hit in my house. Yours look great!

chocolatechic says:

These were just fabulous.

I loved them.

I made the apple crisps for today.

Flourchild says:

Im glad you enjoyed the cookies. I can't wait to make them! I hope your son is feeling better.

HoneyB says:

These look so yummy! I wish I could eat all these goodies!

myfamousrecipe says:

Your before and after photos are hilarious. The second batch look absolutely perfect.

AmyRuth says:

The kids loves the cookies. Same at my house. These are wonderful, I love them too. Your cookies do look wonderful and perfect, Amanda. Great job. I did a double batch and froze some. Those on my post were slice and bake which I had not done w/this recipe before. It worked out okay except some had a little goo in the center. I was a little wary of baking much longer at the risk of burning them. Oh well. Ya live and learn-maybe a little longer on the counter before baking. right?
    AmyRuth

Pamela says:

They look perfect! Thanks for baking with me and I'm glad you enjoyed the cookies as much as I did!

Susan says:

Love your square cookies! I made much smaller ones and they turned out great. This was such a yummy recipe.

I like your misshapened cookies best. They look like whole wheat toast! And how yummy and cool would it be to bite into one to find out it's (topped with something equally yummy) not toast but a cookie! A happy surprise for sure.

alvarosa says:

Thanks a lot for your hint to schedule the post for a later date! Blogging is always as new for me as baking :o]

And I'm happy I am not the only one whose first cookie rack turned out to be more like squares than rounds…

tastyeatsathome says:

Oh yummy! I am a sucker for molasses cookies. And as for those square ones? Those are the baker's treat! (so are any broken ones!)

Amber Marie says:

I'm glad these were such a big hit! I'm looking forward to the All-in-one Holiday Bundt Cake!

Clivia says:

Those square cookies look familiar. Made those a few times! November is beginning to feel like a practice session for Christmas. Glad you enjoyed these cookies!

Lauren says:

Such beautiful cookies! Love the flavour =D.

Romaine says:

Square cookies always make me think of my Grandma.

Anyway, your second batch are exactly what I wanted. Thin with a crackly top. I could only get thin OR a crackly top. Not both in the same cookie. You'll see next week.

Tammy says:

I am really looking forward to making these this week and will take your advice on leaving heaps of room for spread

Jacque says:

LOL, those square cookies are so fun. Glad you all enjoyed them. We really liked them too.

MaryBeth says:

I love these cookie, they are so soft and have oh so much flavor. I will have to give these a try for sure…

Sarah says:

Your cookies look wonderful! Those top two photos are gorgeous. I can't wait to make these (probably next week), everyone has had such great things to say about them.

Fresh Local and Best says:

Those cookies look fantastic!

margot says:

Those look like the perfect after school treat! These seem to be one of the biggest TWD hits ever, I've seen so many positive reviews.

Karen says:

They look great! I am going to make these today, especially after hearing how much everyone loved them.

steph- whisk/spoon says:

so good, regardless of shape!!

Cecille Ericta says:

Very nice. I continue to get impressed by you. On the cran-apple crisps, like you, I also used fuji apple, thus, might have contributed to the extra sweetness of the filling.

Happy baking!

Honeymoon bed breakfast says:

That is the prettiest picture of the cookies! Thanks for baking with me. I loved these cookies and I know that you’re right…the chocolate would be SO good

Regards,

Teanna says:

Amanda!!! These are so stunning!!! They are pure perfection! I'm serious… out of a magazine pure perfection!

comfycook says:

I am glad you wrote about the spreading. I am making these next and I will put only a few on a cookie sheet. Thanks.