TWD: Cran-Apple Crisp

First off let me just say this.

WOW.

Sooo good. Ok now let me get the formalities in here:

The Cran-Apple Crisp was chosen by Em of The Repressed Pastry Chef (I love her blog, you will too!) for the week of November 10th. Because we can bake out of order this month, I’m just now posting it this week. You can find the recipe here on her blog or on page 422 of Baking From My Home to Yours. There. :)

Now on to this fabulous dessert. First off, it was a tad sweet, but I think that’s because I used Fuji apples, which by nature are more sweet than tart. The recipe itself doesn’t specify what type of apples to use, but personally I think if you are going to use a sweeter variety of apple, it’s better to cut the sugar back.

I am making this again for Thanksgiving. I’m actually making it for dessert for the night before Thanksgiving when we head to out of town to see family. I plan to bring all the ingredients and make everything there since it’s so danged easy to throw this together! Since I’m not sure if they have a food processor, I will probably make the topping ahead and bring it with. Dorie says you can make it up to three days in advance.

Just for the record, I’m not big on cobblers and crisps, but this particular dessert has such great flavor, and the topping sweetened with chewy coconut is divine. I loved this, perfect warm paired with vanilla ice cream!

Very easy. You must try it. You must. Go. Now. And make it. You’ll thank me :)

You can see everything I’ve baked from the Tuesdays with Dorie baking group by clicking here.

37 Responses to TWD: Cran-Apple Crisp

Cakelaw says:

I'm with you Amanda – WOW! Love your pie plate BTW.

Romaine says:

Great idea for "take and bake." I also like the way you made it where we could go to one page and see all the TWD recipes with one click. How did you do that?

Lillian says:

I didn't try this one (because until I made the spice cookies I hadn't made a Dorie recipe in weeks, unfortunately), but it certainly looks and sounds delicious. Maybe next week! (And I agree — love that pie plate.)

Thanks! That's a Paula Deen pie plate from Walmart, I love it :)

Romaine – I use labels on my posts. I just used the link to the "Tuesdays with Dorie" label :)

jillbert says:

I agree that this was delicious! So perfect for Thanksgiving too. Now I'm going to check out your stuffed glove turkey craft project!

Leslie says:

I was going to wait and make this for T-day, but now you have me jazzed to make it sooner! I was planning on using a mix of Fuji and Honeycrisp, so I'll definitely cut back a little on the sugar. I love how it looks with the ice cream melting over it.

Jessica says:

I'm not big on cobblers and crisps either, but I agree with you that this is a very, very tasty crisp. It looks wonderful, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

MacDuff says:

I love it! I actually made ours with pears, and it worked nicely as well. And I think you're right on that it's a good "Pre-Thanksgiving" dessert. Nice job!

I have not always loved certain fruit crisps either, but I love the way the apples are cut small. I don't like sliced apples that still have a bite. These were prefectly soft and I loved the little tart from the cranberries.

And great minds, Amanda, we baked all the same thing each week this month! Will we both do the chestnut cake next week? Hmmm, stay tuned, huh! ;)

Looks delicious and the ice cream on top makes it perfect!

Jules Someone says:

That looks amazing! We loved it in our house! Nice.

myfamousrecipe says:

Isn't it great when something so delicious can be pulled together so quickly? This crisp is so good with a scoop of ice cream on the side. Yum.

Hornedfroggy says:

OMG, can I have a bowl of that right now, please? :) Your topping looks fabulous, too!!

Tia says:

mmm fujis are the best.
    i used spartans for mine. i also love your pie dish by the way.

AmyRuth says:

I'm just laughing….do you see what I see below? 1 tip of a flat belly? It certainly doesn't include all the TWD treats we eat, bake, sample and give away, right? I've seen that one around. Totally makes me laugh.. Anyway, YES!!!!!! WOWZA is so right on the money. This is such a delicious treat and I agree I think the hint of coconut (which typically I'm not a huge fan) is just the awesome layer of rich flavor that resonates in the crunch and gives it a pop. I loved this! So glad you did too. Thanks for stopping by, Amanda.
    AmyRuth

Prudy says:

Oh that just looks too good. That beef stew is also calling my name.

chocolatechic says:

You are so right.

This is easy and delicious.

Jess says:

This was a great crisp – and I am a crisp afficionado! I used Fujis too, and thought it was a touch sweet – next time, I'll try using a tarter apple. Your photo is gorgeous.

Beryl says:

This crisp rocked my world! Yours looks great!

Flourchild says:

I am making this next and so glad I am because you totally sold me on it. I know if your packing those ingredients up to take and bake somewhere else, it has to be good. Plus your pictures are just down right delicious looking!

Kelly D says:

I agree – I wouldn't say I love or ever even think about fruit crisps, but this was really good.

I've heard from just about everyone how wonderfully yummy it was especially topped with vanilla ice cream. Yours looks equally good.

I thought that the crisp was one of the best recipes this month – and that's saying a lot!

SUGAR B says:

OMG your crisp looks INCREDIBLE!!!! You took this recipe and made it a total WINNER. Pairing it with ice cream was a perfect move. Love your pictures.

Clivia says:

Your photos are absolutely beautiful! I'm making this next week. Thanks for reminding me to get ice cream.

Ivette says:

Your apple crisp look amazingly good! I made the crisp this week too and totally agree on the topping's awesome flavor.

dharmagirl says:

i agree. this is fantastical!

Jelli Bean says:

I have 2 little apples calling me to make this crisp. Unfortunately, cranberries only exist here in the jelly form round about Thanksgiving, so it'll have to be an apples-only party in my oven. Can't wait to try this! With the caramel ice cream setting up in the freezer, I know I'll have hit a home run. Thanks for sharing!

Mary Ann says:

Beautiful pictures! Glad you loved this one. I am sure that everyone at your Thanksgiving table will be glad you are going to make it again and share!

Tammy says:

we enjoyed this too. fabulous photos

margot says:

The crisp looks fantastic, great photos! I used granny smith apples when I made it and it was not too sweet. This would be a perfect recipe to bake in someone else's kitchen since it's so easy to put together.

Nutmeg Nanny says:

Ok I believe you I will make it:) It looks fantastic! I love you beautiful dish too :)

Marie says:

Oh yummy Amanda, how delicious that looks! I, too, love your beautiful dish!!!

steph- whisk/spoon says:

how good does that look with a scoop of melty ice cream?!?

TeaLady says:

Almost too easy to be sooo good. Yours looks just perfect.

Susan says:

I made this tonight, with one granny smith and three gala apples. I thought it was delicious, but the hubby found it a bit tart. I also added raisins along with the fresh cranberries (didn't have any dried cranberries). I ate two of the 8 ramekins I made. :}

rĂªves de tables says:

Your recipes just look great. I spent a really good time throught your blog. Thanks for this delicious time.