TWD: All in One Holiday Bundt Cake

This month the Tuesdays with Dorie baking group is a bit more flexible than usual. Normally we all post the same thing as each other each week. However, because of the Thanksgiving holiday, the recipe schedule is a bit more flexible and we were allowed to choose from each of November’s recipes this week. I chose the All in One Holiday Bundt Cake, which was chosen in the rotation by Britin of The Nitty Britty. You can find it on pages 186 and 187 of Baking From My Home to Yours or on Britin’s blog .

First off, I WILL make this cake again. It’s delicious and moist and absolutely perfect for the holidays. I will be traveling for Thanksgiving and think I will bake this the day before we leave and ice it when we get there. It’s fabulous and I am so glad it was chosen! It’s full of chopped pecans, fresh cranberries and flavored with spices and pumpkin. Absolutely yummy.

Second, this version, while it tasted scrumptious, is an ugly duckling. I had to piece it back together and hide it with maple glaze.

I think I underbaked it. The recipe says to bake it for 60-70 minutes, and I only baked for 60. It stuck to the inside of my bundt pan and I was heart broken. It’s definitely “over” moist, which leads me to believe it could have benefited from a longer bake time. Or I could just say that I need a new bundt pan. That would be a great excuse to go get one eh??

Aren’t chopped cranberries pretty??? :)

27 Responses to TWD: All in One Holiday Bundt Cake

With the glaze on the cake you can't even tell it stuck to the pan. Great save! It looks terrific. I have Dorie's book and should definitely bake from it more. I always see new recipes on everyone's blogs and get sidetracked!

Natashya KitchenPuppies says:

Sounds like a great combination of flavours – and hooray for maple glaze for covering up patch jobs!

steph- whisk/spoon says:

sounds good, and looks like you hid the patch well! i think i'm making this one for thanksgiving dinner instead of the ususal pie.

jillbert says:

You did a good job of repairing it! I'm making this one soon and giving most of it away because I'm the only one in the house who will eat it. I can't wait to try it!

Kayte says:

Finally…someone else willing to show a stuck bundt (that happened to me for that banana cake we made at TWD earlier)…all my bundts stick except the mini ones, I am going to have to have a new bundt pan of the regular size, on the Christmas gifts it goes b/c Mary the Librarian has had some very impressive bundts lately. Anyway, yours looks really great with that icing on it. I was on the fence whether I was going to make this one or not…think I will give it a try.

Federica says:

deliziosa questa torta!

Bummer that it stuck to the pan. I only baked mine 50 minutes and it didn't stick at all. I only sprayed the pan with cooking spray. Taste is what matters here and it is de-lish! I made an orange icing for mine. Nice save, Amanda.

Lynnylu says:

Looks good to me. I like your photo with the cranberries. I made the cookies this week-will make the cake, hopefully, next time.

Tasty Eats At Home says:

Sounds so good with the cranberries! And pretty!

Nicisme says:

That looks delicious, I've been meaning to make it for ages!

Patricia says:

The flavor combination with the pecans and cranberries sounds perfect for the holidays. I'm always scared of cakes sticking in my hand-me-down bundt pan so I get very anal about buttering every nook and cranny.

SUGAR B says:

Love the cake and love the pretty cranberries, too.

The holidays are here!

natalia says:

Amanda it's beautiful even as it is! I wish I could find cranberries !!

I hate when that happens to me. Your glaze did a great job hiding the fact that part of the top didn't make the flip. Upside….you got to test out the yummy cake before you served it! :)

Barbara Bakes says:

So frustrating when a beautiful bundt sticks. But it looks delicious with the icing!

Susan says:

I didn't even know your cake had stuck to the pan until I read further down and saw the pictures. It still looks delicious and I am looking forward to making it later in the month. I made the other cake this week. It's yummy too!

pinkstripes says:

I can't wait to make this cake. It looks delicious.

Gabe's Girl says:

A great cake artist can make any cake work! It looks fab. Really. I am sold. I am going to bake this cake, too. I miss TWD. I need to get back into the swing of things with you all.

Chef Fresco says:

Aww I hate when that happens – you totally can't tell by the top pic though, looks delicious!

Cakelaw says:

Hi Amanda, I am with you – this cake tastes delicious!

Emily Rose says:

I made this cake this week too! I LOVED it- so delicious!! I ended up baking mine a few minutes longer than directed and mine popped out nicely (I also have to give props to my nordicware bundt pan- I love it with all of my heart). I'm glad you loved the cake as much as I did!

margot says:

It's so fun seeing all the recipes out of order this month. Nothing a little icing can't fix, right? It looks yummy, this one has been on my list for a while. I recommend the Nordicware Anniversary Bundt pan, it seems to work well.

Kat says:

Thanks for stopping by my blog! You have some great recipes on yours! I really like cranberries and walnuts so this am thinking this would be nice addition for Thanksgiving as I am not really a pie fan.

Nutmeg Nanny says:

I think the cake looks great:) Even if you had to hide it with a little maple glaze…who doesn't love glaze!

Sarah, Maison Cupcake says:

Hi there, thanks for visiting my blog and prompting me to come here. I've got you on Twitter but hadn't updated my google reader for new follower's blogs for a while. Your blog is so pretty I love this background. The Bundt looks fabulous…. maybe I need to give my disastrous swiss roll today a similar treatment!

Pamela says:

While mine didn't stick quite so muhc, it did just a little and I found it really tender and just a bit under-baked…but I still loved it! The glaze looks fabulous and I can't wait to try it.

Sweet and Savory says:

I had the same problem with the amount of time, needed to bake. I did not have a problem with it coming out, even the first of three times, I had to remove it. I made a mistake and cut a piece, the first time and saw how wet it looked even though the knife came out clean. So, each time, I removed it, I checked that piece.

In the end, it is one of the best cakes, I have made. We loved it.

I am glad you saved yours and frankly, the icing is pretty and no one can tell. That is a win, in my book. You write great descriptions of your baking. Thanks.