Garlic-Marinated Chicken Cutlets with Grilled Potatoes

I somehow ended up on Martha’s site the other day looking for recipes on the grill. Yes, yes, I know it’s fall people, but I love my grill and use it whenever I can, even in the snow! I printed off oodles and oodles of different recipes, but settled on this mouth watering marinated chicken as my first pick. I am so very glad that I did! Not only did I savour every morsel at dinner that night, I had it for lunch the next two days and used the rest to make a chicken salad. This marinade is so simple it’s almost embarrassing. With only four ingredients this marinate gives the chicken an amazing flavor that you will absolutely love.

I will admit though, after cooking from Julia Child’s book, Mastering the Art of French Cooking, I’ve learned a few things. One of those lessons include drying off the meat before cooking it, and if marinated, to wipe off the excess marinade first. Other than that, Martha’s instructions are pretty much dead on. Instead of oiling the grates of my grill, which has melted a few brushes in the past, I brush a little olive oil on the dried chicken so it won’t stick. I also marinated my chicken in the refrigerator most of the day, and then an hour and a half before cooking it, I placed it on paper towels and brought it to room temperature.

As for the potatoes, I’ve also learned to dry those, so after patting them dry they went into the foil packet as described below. I was really surprised at how perfect they were!

Try this. You’ll thank me. And when the snow flies, just keep a shovel near the door and scoop a path to your grill like I do ;)

Garlic-Marinated Chicken Cutlets with Grilled Potatoes
(I halved this recipe)

3 pounds baby red new potatoes, halved or quartered if large
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for grates
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped, plus sprigs for garnish, if desired
Coarse salt and ground pepper
3 pounds chicken cutlets (about 12)
1 tablespoon butter
Grilled asparagus, cut on the diagonal into 1 1/2-inch pieces (3 cups)
2 tablespoons Vinaigrette

Heat grill to medium. Fold two 4-foot-long sheets of aluminum foil in half to make two separate double-layer sheets. Place half the potatoes on each double layer. Form two packets, folding foil over potatoes and crimping edges to seal. Place on grill and cook, turning over once, until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Leave potatoes from one packet wrapped in foil to keep warm. Open second packet to let potatoes cool; reserve for Potato Salad. Raise grill to high; lightly oil grates.
Meanwhile, make marinade: In a large baking dish, whisk together oil, garlic, vinegar, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken; turn several times to coat. Let marinate at room temperature 10 minutes and up to 30 minutes.

Lift chicken from marinade and grill until browned and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from grill. Cover half of chicken with foil to keep warm. Reserve other half for Grilled Chicken Cobb Salad.

Remove warm potatoes from foil; transfer to a medium bowl, toss with butter, and season with salt and pepper. In a medium bowl, toss asparagus with Vinaigrette. Serve the grilled chicken with potatoes and asparagus. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.

For a text only (no recipe photos or commentary) printer friendly version of this recipe, click here

15 Responses to Garlic-Marinated Chicken Cutlets with Grilled Potatoes

MaryBeth says:

The recipe looks great and i love the tips…we also love your snow picture, we agree about the shovel.

Barbara Bakes says:

I like to use my grill year round too! Luckily I have a covered patio! The recipe sounds great!

Marie says:

Yummo! Looks delicious! Some of my happiest memories with my kids are of cooking Chinese food out on the grill in the snow together, because our power was off due to inclement weather!

Nutmeg Nanny says:

I love grilling in the winter! The best part about grill cooking is the easy cleanup. I'm a big fan of having to clean very little after stuffing my face :) Also this marinde looks great! What could be better than grilled chicken and potaotes…yum :)

Tiffiny Felix says:

Yay for year-round grilling!! :)

tastyeatsathome says:

Grilling in the winter is great, cause then it's not so hot that you sweat just making dinner! This sounds yummy.

Clueless-Cook says:

MMmmm.. two of my favorite words.. Garlic and potatoes. Yum. It's 79 degrees here in CA, so BBQ sounds wonderful. I never thought about drying off the marinade. Thank you for the tip.

girlichef says:

You know what? I totally love grilling in the snow, too! Just something about standing over the grill with the delicious smokey smells all around and the chilly air and whit all around!! This sounds awesome.

Phoo-D says:

Oh goodness look at all that snow! We shovel a path to our grill too…but this is urging me to get out there while it is still "warm"!

pinkstripes says:

Grilled potatoes sound yummy. Man, that snow scares me.

kim says:

Hi!Thank you for sharing all the recipes, everything looks really good. We use the grill in the winter too. I was wondering how if you cook a turkey then cut it up and slather some bbq on it and throw it on the grill with some cheddar muffins or potatoes like you did do you think that would be good? It sounds good. I havnt tried it yet. Have you made the chicken on the stick with veggies? sillshill.blogspot.com

That sounds good Kim! I have made chicken on a stick yes, so yummy!

[...] More I’m making on the 4th: Blackberry Pie Squares Fresh Raspberry Lemonade Watermelon Cookies Sour Cherry Almond Cake Garlic Marinated Chicken Cutlets and Grilled Potatoes [...]

[...] from me you might like:Grilled Garlic Lemon Chicken BreastsGrilled Breaded Pork ChopsGarlic-Marinated Chicken Cutlets with Grilled PotatoesChipotle [...]

[…] to produce juicy, tender results. Two more of my favorite grilled chicken recipes are these Garlic-Marinated Chicken Cutlets and this Chipotle chicken […]