Chocolate Brownie Bars

I’m not sure why, but this recipe is named Chocolate Bar Cookies. I’ve renamed it Chocolate Brownie Bars because this is a brownie in every sense of the word, and a rich and delicious one at that! Everyone gobbled these up, it’s good I got my camera out before the kids came home from school!

You could probably just make one 13×9 pan of these, but the instructions said to use 2 8×8 square pans. I wanted to make sure I did the recipe right, so I followed as closely as I could. I only own one 8×8 pan, so I used a 9″ cake pan for the other.

I did not add the nuts, instead I stirred in extra chopped chocolate, probably why they were so rich! You could probably substitute the shortening with unsalted butter, but I made them with the shortening. These are dense and chocolatey, and the best part is they cut CLEAN, no jagged pulled edges like when you try to cut regular brownies when still warm.

This is a definite keeper, so try it today, you’ll thank me. :) Really.

I found this recipe on Annie’s Recipes. They run a giveaway each month for anyone who makes one of their recipes and uploads a photo. Check that out here.

Chocolate Bar Cookies

1 cup shortening
2 cups brown sugar, packed
4 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
4 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 325 F. Butter and flour 2 8×8 square pans.

Cream shortening in mixer for about 3 minutes. Add sugar and eggs, alternating and beat well.

Melt chocolate in a double boiler, or in a glass dish over simmering water. Blend melted chocolate into sugar mixture, stir in salt and vanilla.

Whisk together flour and baking powder then stir into chocolate mixture. Stir in nuts.

Bake for 30-35 minutes. Let cool in pan before cutting into squares or rectangle bars.Comments

Notes: You can substitute chocolate chips for the nuts.

For a text only (no recipe photos or commentary) printer friendly version of this recipe, click here

25 Responses to Chocolate Brownie Bars

Sweet and Savory says:

I like that these cook clean. Brownies don't usually do that. Do you knwo what in the recipe makes this change?

I have it printed up which means, I should get to make it.

Nutmeg Nanny says:

I'm thanking you already! These look great :) My favorite thing about them is that you left out the nuts and added more chocolate….oh yeah!

I'm not totally sure, but I'm wondering if the shortening might play in hand in it? I was thinking of trying them and subbing out the shortening with butter to see if that is the magical ingredient :) Hope you try them soon, they are awesome!

Nanny – Yeah, I don't mind the nuts myself, but the fact that the nutaphobics outweigh the nut likers in this house usually sways my decision. :-p

girlichef says:

I love it in circle "form". And I love brownies..one of my favorite things, so I'm sure I'd love this…looks decadent :D

You know I heart brownies – I wish I could reach through and grab one!

Marissa says:

How fortunate for me that your espresso pie and these brownie bars have coincided nicely with my raging PMS! Thank you! By the way, any suggestions on what clothes I shall wear next week, when none of my regular things fit????

Christy says:

I'm with Marissa-I'm gaining weight just checking your blog lately!! Another fantastic recipe-thanks!!

pinkstripes says:

They look fabulous! I guess technically a brownie is a chocolate cookie bar.

tastyeatsathome says:

Ooh, yum! I have totally subbed chocolate chips for nuts before too (in a brownie recipe), which makes them super-delicious. These look like my kind of treat.

I like nuts in certain things, but not my brownies. Extra chocolate wouldn't hurt! ;)
    Love the pictures.

They look delicious Amanda…we love brownies in this house!

Ellie says:

Looks delicious! Absolutely love brownies, and yours looks amazing…

So many brownies, so little time! ;) They look great and I love that you said they cut so nicely!

Kathy Howe says:

Thanks for the recipe. I can't wait to give it a try.

Kiara says:

Good to know I'm not the only person who bakes bars in cake pans. XD

We're an odd group at my house. None of us are crazy about brownies unless they are topped with vanilla ice cream. Adding something to them is much welcomed. (chocolate chips, don't count! LOL!) With that said it doesn't stop me from trying out new recipes, so thanks!

Btw, I like the look of the brownies cut into wedges.

biz319 says:

Have you ever used the brownie pan so that every brownie has a crunchy outside?!

OMG, my daughter will love these! :D

Hope you had a great weekend!

Jessica says:

This looks like a great dessert for a girls' night in with my friends. I think they'd gobble these up pretty quickly too. :)

Leslie says:

yep..looks like ALL brownie to me as well!!! YUMMO

Michelle says:

I like the brownies in the round pan and sliced like a pie idea!

Maria says:

Craving chocolate now, thanks:)

♥♥♥Ria♥♥♥ says:

Sinful!

Donna-FFW says:

These sound decadently delicious. I adore the last photo!

I am definitely a nut-a-phobic(in baked goods) and hate when people put nuts in things such as brownies and cheesecakes. Its one thing if they can be brushed off the top, but baking them in drives me nuts! (pun intended) I've been in the "only one pan" situation before and just had to use the same pan twice one after the other. Glad to see I can use a round pan next time.

[...] Amanda’s Cookin’: Pineapple Upside Down Cake in a Cast Iron Skillet Chocolate Brownie Bars Football Brownies Brown Sugar Vanilla Bean Ice [...]