Chipotle Chicken Recipe

I’m a chicken person. I’m also a chicken person that likes her barbecue grill, warm weather, cold weather, doesn’t matter. Hubby isn’t real hip on chicken, unless it’s slathered in barbecue sauce. This particular recipe is great marinated then grilled, but it’s also a great candidate for slopping on some barbecue sauce for persnickety husbands. See? Everybody wins. :)

I found this recipe on the FamilyCorner message boards. You can see the original recipe by visiting the link, while I didn’t change any ingredients, I did adapt the instructions for better results.

TIP : Also, here’s a tip for storing the rest of the chipotle peppers from that can you opened. Leaving them in the can will cause them to taste tinny and bacteria can form. Pouring them into a container blobs them all together, causing a problem when you need only one or two. Instead, wrap individual chipotle peppers with a bit of the sauce in plastic wrap. Place all the individually wrapped peppers into a zipper plastic bag and store them in the freezer.

Chipotle Chicken

4 each boneless skinless chicken breast
2 cloves garlic
1 clove, whole
2 whole black peppercorns
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 small onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
4 small tomatoes (I think mine were too big, if in doubt, use 2 smallish-medium)
3 chipotle chiles canned in adobo
1 teaspoon honey

Rinse each chicken breast and pat dry. Trim off any membrane and fatty bits. Cut 2-3 (depending on the size of the chicken breasts) small diagonal slits in the top of the chicken, about 1/4 inch deep, to allow the marinate to penetrate more. Place chicken into a glass dish or gallon zipper bag.

Place all remaining ingredients into a blender and puree. Pour over the chicken breasts, turn a couple of times to coat. Allow to marinate in the refrigerator overnight, or at room temperature for 1 hour.

If you marinated in the refrigerator, remove the meat about one hour prior to cooking to bring it to room temperature. Wipe all excess marinade from chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Drying the meat will allow it to brown better.

Grill over medium high coals or pan fry until done (about 10 – 20 minutes).

For a text only (no recipe photos or commentary) printer friendly version of this recipe, click here

20 Responses to Chipotle Chicken Recipe

Mags says:

I think I'm going to like this. Love chipotle flavor and heat! Looks yummy Amanda.

cookingmimi says:

Thanks for the tip on the chipotles. I've only used them once or twice due to having to throw them away after a couple of days.
    I'll have to make this after I get a blender.

Chow and Chatter says:

great chicken recipe

Barbara Bakes says:

The chicken sounds fantastic! I love the chipotle peppers tip. I just ended up wasting some because I had to thaw the entire package.

Marie says:

I'm a chicken person too, that that looks great!!!

carmencooks says:

Wow – thanks so much for the tip about the chipotles, especially since most recipes only call for a small portion of a can. The chicken looks delicious. :)

Tasty Eats At Home says:

I love the freezing of the chipotles idea! You and I must be on the same wavelength. I posted a chipotle chicken recipe just the other day. I love that yours uses cumin – might have to try that!

5 Star Foodie says:

Chipotle chicken sounds amazing! And a great tip for freezing the leftover chipotles!

This looks great. My husband would love the spicy.
    I'm glad you didn't word that as "I'm a chicken." and put the word person in there! ;)

Thanks Mags!

mimi – you're welcome. Here's another tip. When you remove chipotles from the freezer to use, immediately unwrap them from the plastic wrap as they start to thaw pretty quickly. I just used some this morning from the freezer for a marinate. The recipe called for minced chipotle peppers in adobe. Well I know how impossible that is when they are thawed, so I went ahead and minced them up while they were still frozen. Worked beautifully!

Thanks Rebecca!

Barbara – I hear ya. This worked great, see my comment above about chopping while frozen :)

Marie – thanks!

Carmen – yes most recipes do, that's what made me freeze them that way, I've throw away too many in the past :-p

Tasty Eats – right you are! Just checked out your recipe, looks fab!

Five Star – Thanks! Freezing them worked perfectly :)

Katrina – LMAO yeah that would have been a bit silly :-D

My mom is a chicken lover and can eat it everyday. I like it but not everyday. My kids are on the fence about it but could be from all the times I overcooked it! :)

Btw, I'm super sorry that I haven't been around as much. Also, wanted to make certain that you didn't mind but I'm adding you to my blogroll! THX!

Tiffiny Felix says:

Just divine! I grill all year, too…even if we have to shovel a path through the snow to get to the grill :) I freeze my left-over chipotles, but usually on a cookie sheet and then I put them in a bag. I'm going to try your method because mine always end up with lots of ice in the bag, which I think is yuck. And cumin in the spice of the Gods. Niiiice :)

Lynnylu says:

I absolutely love chipotles! I usually separate my chipotles and layer them with plastic wrap, but still are difficult sometimes to get just one out of the mix. I'll try your method of wrapping them individually.

s. stockwell says:

Great post! We use chipotle all the time and love it! We will definitely try your freezer idea because we always have a clump of the leftovers in a bowl in the fridge. Thanks for coming to visit us and best from Jefferson's Table.

Hey thanks Ingrid, honored to be on your blogroll! :)

Tifiny – ha! I do that too, keep a shovel on the deck for just that purpose :-D

Lynn- it worked perfectly when I needed one or two :)

ss – been there done that, hope the tip works for you :)

FoodBlogs.com says:

I just found this on your Facebook fan page. Will be grilling it tonight …. :) Thanks!

Marie says:

I buy that same large can shown in your photo and couldn't possibly use it all in one meal. What I do, though, is puree them (either with immersion or in blender) and then pour them into an old ice cube tray (we don't use this tray for anything else). Once they're frozen, I pop them out into a freezer bag. I think one cube equals about 2 TBS(?). I never really measured, but usually dump 2-3 into chili.

@Marie – that's a great idea too!

Gina says:

I just made this for dinner tonight and it was OUTSTANDING! I must admit, I fiddled with the recipe just a tiny bit and omitted the oil and the honey (I am on a very restrictive diet for a next few weeks) and it was still super delicious! This is definitely going to be a norm in my house now! I paired it with roasted garlic broccoli drizzled with a balsamic reduction and, believe it or not, it paired together perfectly! The heat from the chicken was so complimented by the sweetness of the balsamic! I am so hooked! Thanks for a great recipe!!