Black and White Cookies

I first saw these black and white cookies on the King Arthur Flour blog, Baker’s Banter, however, the recipe I used for these I found on Alicia’s Recipes. I did use a technique from Baker’s Banter, and that was to flatten the cookie dough a bit with the bottom of a wet measuring cup. Great tip! These were pretty good cookies, but I didn’t have lemon extract, so I’m sure that took away from the original deli flavor these treats are supposed to have. Also, the glaze on Alicia’s is pretty different from the one on Baker’s Banter, but still good.

Would I make these again? Maybe for a birthday party or something, but not for cookies just to have around the house. They were good and all, but the frosting part takes some time and because it’s pretty sugary, it’s not the type of cookie that you grab a stack of and eat with a glass of milk in front of the TV. These are more of a one cookie per person type treat, great for a party or get together.

Pretty standard recipe really, cream together the butter and the sugar. Add eggs, milk, vanilla and extract.

Whisk together the cake flour and all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.

Then slowly add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture.

For smaller cookies, use a cookie scoop, for larger cookies use an ice cream scoop.

Put some water on a small plate and dip the bottom of a measuring cup into it.

Then use that to flatten the cookie dough.

Lovely! :)

You don’t want the cookies to brown, and everyone’s oven is different, so keep an eye on them. These are more cake-like than cookie-like. After they’ve cooled and you’ve made the frosting mixture, coat one side of each cookie.

DON’T do what I did and try to use semisweet instead of bittersweet. Semisweet has too much sugar content and will seize up as you see in the picture above. Looks ugly. Use bittersweet. Trust me on this.

See how much better the chocolate looks using bittersweet? Told you to trust me ;)

Black And White Cookies

1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Frosting
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/3 cup boiling water
1 (1 ounce) square bittersweet chocolate, chopped

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, then set mixer on low speed, or stir in the milk, vanilla, and lemon extract. Combine cake flour and all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt; gradually blend into the creamed mixture. Drop tablespoonfuls of the dough 2 inches apart on lined baking sheets. Put a small amount of water on a salad plate. Dip the bottom of a dry measure measuring cup into the water, then gently press down each cookie to flatten it. You will need to re-wet the measuring cup every 2-3 cookies or it will stick to the dough.

Bake until edges begin to brown, about 20 to 30 minutes (15-20 for smaller cookies). Cool completely.

Place confectioners sugar in large bowl. Mix in boiling water one tablespoon at a time until mixture is thick and spreadable. (Add more than the indicated amount if you need to).

Transfer half of the frosting to the top of a double boiler set over simmering water. Stir in the chocolate. Warm mixture, stirring frequently, until the chocolate melts. Remove from heat.

With a brush or the back of a spoon, coat half the cookie with chocolate frosting and the other half with the white frosting. Set on waxed paper until frosting hardens.

25 Responses to Black and White Cookies

ABowlOfMush says:

I always love the look of black and white cookies, would looove one of these right now please? :)
    The bittersweet chocolate looks much better, great tip!

VeggieGirl says:

Ahh, the quintessential black & white cookie – love it!!

And yes, I trust you, haha :-D

biz319 says:

I've never seen cookies like that before! I am sure they were time consuming too, but I agree that's not an every day kind of cookie!

Mags says:

Thanks for the tip regarding using bittersweet instead of semisweet chocolate. I'd have totally used the semisweet. Those are some cute cookies!

Carrie says:

Oh, man those look heavenly. I can only look and not taste….a definite diabetic no-no!!!

Rachel says:

These cookies look wonderful! My sister is having my nephew's b-day party this coming weekend…I'm going to pass along this recipe!

delightfullysweet says:

I adore black and white cookies!
    I just might make these for my upcoming poker party night!

Thanks!

Bunny says:

I've always wanted to make these cookies, they look terrific Amanda!

Ellie says:

I love the color contrast…Looks lovely! These would be great for a Christmas cookie exchange…ok, I am a bit early for that:). Also, great little tip about using the different chocolate. Thanks for sharing.

Bowl of Mush – I had never heard of these before. When my daughter saw them, she says "Ooo are these the same as the cookies you get at Starbucks?" LOL

Veggie Girl and Biz – thanks!

Mags – Yah i didn't think the kids would like the bittersweet, but mixed with the powdered sugar they couldn't tell the difference anyway

Carrie – I'm diabetic too, so I have to indulge in moderation ;)

Rachel – Would love to hear about it if you try them!

Bunny – thanks mama! :)

Ellie – thanks, good idea for the Christmas cookie exchange!

Barbara Bakes says:

The wet measuring cup is a great tip I'll have to try. Such a pretty cookie!

Thanks barbara, I thought that was a good idea, glad I found it on the other blog :) I think I'd like to try this recipe again someday and try the Baker's Banter version, just to see how close they are.

Amanda they look great! These were my favorite growing up in NY. The bakeries had them back then and I used to always eat the chocolate side first!!!

Thanks Deb! I had never even seen them before trying this recipe. LOL I thought it was funny that my daughter had seen them at Starbucks.

I've never had a B&W cookie. Fun!

Pam says:

Great job Amanda! They do look really time consuming! Enjoy!

I've always wanted to make these cookies but just never have. I won some once from a popular blog but she never sent them. :( Such a tease.
    Yours look so pretty and thanks for the great tips.
    I subscribed by e-mail but even after refreshing a few times, I cant make that darn Feedburner # change. But I should be 1001.

pinkstripes says:

Your always posting things I've been wanting to make, but haven't gotten around to baking. They look yummy!

Thanks Katrina and Pam!

Megan – That stinks :( She never gave an explanation for not sending them? LOL about Feeburner! I think they only update the numbers daily :-p Thanks though!

Pink – Thank you!

Tami says:

These cookies are very popular in the Upstate NY region where my husband is from. His Mom used to make them all of the time. In his area they are also know as half moon cookies. The authentic recipes that I have seen do not include lemon extract so your cookies were probably right on course. They look delicious!

Out of all of Bill's Mom's recipes that I have, I don't have her recipe for these cookies. Yours look pretty spot on for what I've seen in NY. I've put off making them because of the time it takes to make them. I won't tell him that you beat me to making these cookies. lol!!

Nice job!!

LOL Thanks tami! nice to know the originals don't have lemon :) They actually were pretty easy, just the frosting takes a while. I frosted the cookies while the others were baking, so it wasn't too bad ;)

Living in NYC I've eaten those a time or two but have never been crazy about them. Too much chocolate for me.

They are pretty sugary. These are actually great with a frappacino! :)

Asha says:

These originated in Utica, NY, where I currently live. We call them halfmoons. During the holidays, you can buy sheets of them in Walmart. They really are delicious!

[...] Amandascookin.com/2009/10/black-and-white-cookies [...]