Spaghetti Pie

For many years I have deprived myself of the comfort food known as Spaghetti Pie. Not sure why, but for some reason just those two words together, spaghetti and pie, never really sat right with me. Spaghetti belongs on a plate with savory sauce, sprinkled lightly with fresh Parmesan cheese. A pie on the other hand, conjures up visions of yummy cooked fruits or smooth and creamy custard fillings with mountains of billowy whipped cream or lightly browned meringue. Combining the two words just seemed unappetizing.

I was looking for something uncomplicated the other night for dinner. I started flipping through my Betty Crocker Cookbook: Everything You Need to Know to Cook Today (I have the Ninth edition) which I picked up at the thrift store for a quarter. :) Anyway, I came across this recipe for Spaghetti Pie. Setting aside my phobia for this combination of words, I read through the ingredients. As luck would have it, I had everything I needed on hand, plus the time to prepare it was pretty darn reasonable.

Sooo, I made it. And you know what? I liked it! A lot. In fact, not only did I enjoy it at dinner, I also had a piece for lunch the next day. Hubby liked it, and so did my mother in law. The kids weren’t home to try it, but I’m sure they would agree as well. This recipe has graduated to my “easy recipes” file and will definitely be made again. Thanks Betty! ;)

Spaghetti Pie

Betty says “If you hold your uncooked spaghetti together in a bundle, 4 ounces is about as big around as the size of a quarter.” Thanks Betty, but I just used my scale. :)

4 ounces uncooked spaghetti

1/2 pound lean ground beef
1 small green bell pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 small onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
1 (14-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce (I used my homemade sauce)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 large eggs
1 cup small curd creamed cottage cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)

Heat oven to 375°. Grease pie plate, 10 x 1 1/2 inches. Cook spaghetti as directed on package.

While spaghetti is cooking, cook beef, bell pepper and onion in 10-inch skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain.

Stir in spaghetti sauce, chili powder, salt and pepper. Cook 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened.
Drain spaghetti. Place spaghetti in pie plate; gently press on bottom and 1 inch up side of pie plate.

Mix eggs and cottage cheese; spread evenly over spaghetti. Spoon beef mixture over cottage cheese mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until center is set. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
NUTRITION FACTS: 1 Serving:; Calories 310 (Calories from Fat 115); Fat 13g (Saturated 5g); Cholesterol 100mg; Sodium 760mg; Carbohydrate 30 (Dietary Fiber 2g); Protein 20g % DAILY VALUE:; Vitamin A 12%; Vitamin C 18%; Calcium 12%; Iron 12% DIET EXCHANGES:; 2 Starch; 2 Medium-Fat Meat

Did you enjoy this post? Why not subscribe to my feed, or better yet, to my free newsletter – Foodie in the Craftroom, which provides not only recipes but crafts from my other blog, Crafts by Amanda too!

25 Responses to Spaghetti Pie

Chow and Chatter says:

this looks cool girlichef did something similar called spaghetti pizza i bet you would like that too lol

natalia says:

Ciao Amanda this sounds fantastic !!! I usually make spaghetti frittata but never pie !!!

Marie says:

Ohh, an old family favourite! Yours looks delicious. You can't beat Betty Crocker!

Tiffiny Felix says:

Hummm…I, too, have avoided "spaghetti pie". I may have to try it now ;)

Kayte says:

I have a version of this recipe (no chili powder, and with mushrooms and black olives in it, ricotta not cottage cheese) that I need to dust off again…the guys would love seeing it's return…I bet it has been at least 5 years since I have made it. I think I originally started as it was easier for little ones to eat than the actual spaghetti, not as messy. I think I will dust that off and also give your version a try with the chili powder as the guys love anything with chili in it! Thanks…loved the little photo series.

Looks delicious. Anything with pasta is a hit in my house…I am going ot be trying this one..

I've made this one before. It was pretty good and the kids got a kick out of it!

Okay, I joined! I didn't know how to do it without getting a yahoo account so I just did. :) I'll try to check it out more indepth. The kids and all their "stuff" has to slow down soon! (I hope!)

pinkstripes says:

Ooh…this is my kind of comfort food. It sounds delicious.

AmyRuth says:

Umm yummy looking . Good idea for a quick fall supper.
    AmyRuth

Mags says:

I love spaghetti pie! But we call it spaghetti casserole here. Maybe if you'd have thought of it as a casserole instead of a pie, you'd have been enjoying this all these years…lol.

margot says:

Yum, that looks wonderful. I saw a baked spaghetti in Cook's Country magazine and have been wanting to try it, now I'll definitely have to.

5 Star Foodie says:

Very nice! Sure to be a family favorite!

Looks like a fun recipe and one I will have to try this Fall! Love comfort food.

Carrie says:

One word– Yum!!

Chef Fresco says:

Never made it but I do not know how it couldn't be absolutely delicious!

Chow and Chatter – I'll hve to go check out that spaghetti pizza :)

natalia – I've never heard of spaghetti frittata!

Kayte – I wasn't really able to detect the chili powder. I would love mushrooms in mine but my family would not!

Ingrid – Glad to hear you joined Ingrid, hope you speak up soon! :)

Mags – ha! You could be right about that :)

The Blonde Duck says:

I love it!

Melissa says:

Glad you shared your phobia! I'm was a little leery to try this, but my boyfriend saw it and loves both so I made it for him. Of course, I just had to try a little bite and then that turned into a piece…which was rather large =)

I'm glad you enjoyed it Melissa! I've found that I am breaking out of my comfort zone lately and trying new things. :)

Simon Food Favourites says:

looks really tasty and filling. nice job. :-)

I made this spaghetti pie the other night with just a few changes and it was delicious! I will definetly make it again! I love looking at your blog! I just happened to stumble upon it.I also just made the brownie mosaic cheesecake last night to take to a new year's eve party tonight! I haven't tasted it yet but it looks yummy! Thanks for all of your postings!

Anonymous – Wonderful! So glad you enjoyed it, I need to make it again :) And oh that brownie mosaic cheesecake, I LOVE that. Thank you for the compliments! :)

PERMANENT POSIES says:

This looks awesome! As does your peach bread…..both of which I just printed out to make this weekend.

Thanks! I haven't made this in a while, thanks for the reminder. i am having the peach bread for breakfast, hope you like it!