Rotini with Creamy Three Herb Pesto & Chicken

You’ve heard my harp about this fabulous cookbook that I have, The Complete 15-Minute Gourmet. I found a pasta recipe using pesto and chicken. I didn’t have any chevre, so I substituted with plain feta cheese. The flavors of the herbs mingled beautifully with the familiar taste of garlic and shallots, which I tend to use often. This is definitely a recipe I will make again and again, as I do grow so tired of tomato sauce on my pasta dishes. I need to harvest the last of my basil plant, so this will most likely be on the menu for next week, only this time I will pick up the chevre. :)

Rotini with Creamy Three Herb Pesto & Chicken
Note: Pesto can be made up to two days in advance.

Pasta:

1/4 cup coarsely chopped shallots
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 tsp pepper, or to taste
1/4 tsp salt, or to taste

Cook rotini according to package directions.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat, Add the chicken; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned and thoroughly cooked.

At the same time, process all the pesto ingredients in a food processor until nearly smooth.

When pasta is done, drain well. Return to the pasta pan, add the pesto and toss. Add chicken and toss again.

Garnishes (optional): sprigs of fresh herbs, tomato slices, Romano cheese.

11 Responses to Rotini with Creamy Three Herb Pesto & Chicken

Kayte says:

I think this would go over nicely around here. Thanks for the recipe. Looks great!

Melissa says:

That sounds great! I never make pesto because pine nuts cost so much; this looks like a great alternative. I love everything in the ingredients, except I think I'll sub cilantro for the basil. I bet that would be good cold, too.

Mags says:

I'm with you on the growing tired of tomato sauce. I'm always on the lookout for a new way to serve pasta and this sounds great!

5 Star Foodie says:

I'm lovin your pesto recipe with three herbs & chevre cheese! Excellent!

Marie says:

That looks fabulous Amanda!

Thanks Kayte, I think you'll love it!

Melissa – Oh cilantro, one of my favorite herbs. That would definitely be a different twist :)

Mags – I also love to use an olive oil base for sauce and add in sun dried tomatoes and herbs. So good.

5 Star – Thanks! I loved it, need to add it to next week's menu :)

Marie – Thank you!

Chef Fresco says:

Yum! Nice choice of chevre too!

P.S. Happy (late) blog birthday! :)

That looks so good. We would all enjoy that here. I'm a huge pasta lover, anything with pasta!!!

Culinary Cory says:

This is a perfect weekday meal idea. I love adding fresh herbs to pasta. My favorite is tossing pesto and cherry tomatoes with chicken, and pasta. So easy and delish!

Fresco – thanks!

Debbie – I love pastas too, just wish they weren't a huge carb contributor!

Cory – You're right, it's perfect for weekdays. That pesto and cherry tomato mixture sounds great!

[...] Rotini with Creamy Three Herb Pesto┬ávia Amanda’s Cookin’ [...]