Rich Chocolate Ice Cream

I have this problem with my freezer. There isn’t enough room. My chest freezer in the garage is full with a side of beef and a side of pork. It’s amazing how long it takes to make a dent! The freezer in my side by side refrigerator is stuffed full with overflow meat from the chest freezer, frozen homemade chicken and beef stock, zucchini juice, juice from tomatoes, shredded cheese, etc, etc.

My other problem is that my husband is an ice cream fanatic. We always have to have room for 3 1/2 gallon cartons of ice cream. I much prefer to make my ice cream from scratch, but he goes through so much of it so fast, I just can’t keep up! Not to mention that the ice cream maker’s canister has to freeze over night (or at least 7 hours) before you can put the custard in, and it only makes a quart at a time.

I think I need another freezer. :-/

I went to the library and checked out David Lebovitz’s book Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments. It’s delicious. It’s marvelous. It’s creamy and dreamy. :)

I’ve already made 3 recipes: vanilla, chocolate, and cinnamon. Today I’m going to give you the chocolate ice cream recipe because this is THE chocolatiest (is that a word?) chocolate ice cream I have ever had. Rich and creamy smooth, absolutely divine. I couldn’t handle more than two scoops at a time, but it’s pure chocolate madness, I guarantee it!

Do you ever make your own ice cream?

Chocolate Ice Cream
from David Lebovitz’s The Perfect Scoop

2 cups heavy cream
3 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
5 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup whole milk
¾ cup granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
5 large egg yolks
½ teaspoon vanilla extract

Warm 1 cup of the cream with the cocoa powder in a medium saucepan, whisking to thoroughly blend the cocoa. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer at a very low boil for 30 seconds, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat and add the chopped chocolate, stirring until smooth. Then stir in the remaining 1 cup cream. Pour the mixture into a large bowl, scraping the saucepan as thoroughly as possible, and set a mesh strainer on top of the bowl.

Warm the milk, sugar, and salt in the same saucepan. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolk. Slowly pour the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.

Stir the mixture constantly over the medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula (170°F on an instant-read thermometer). Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the chocolate mixture until smooth, then stir in the vanilla. Stir until cool over an ice bath.

Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. (If the cold mixture is too thick to pour into your machine, whisk it vigorously to thin it out.)

If you are looking for intense chocolate flavor, look no further!

NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit http://www.amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html

28 Responses to Rich Chocolate Ice Cream

Chow and Chatter says:

this looks wonderful I have never made icecream but i am thinking about it !!

Rebecca

Oh Rebecca you must :) making ice cream is so fun!

Erin Orr says:

Mmmm…that looks wonderful!

Justin says:

now i'm feeling really guilty that i didn't pull out my ice cream machine even once this summer. well, there's always time. and i'm happy to say i ate a lot of great ice cream this year… just none I made myself!

Thanks Erin!

Justin – I feel bad for barely making any this summer!

Phoo-D says:

This is my favorite ice cream book, and you are right this chocolate recipe is pure indulgence! So good.

Phoo-D: I made the cinnamon ice cream and it was awesome with apple pie! Can't wait to try more ;)

I can't say enough about the DL Perfect Scoop book. It's perfect! Save an egg, or at least some cholesterol and try the no-egg chocolate ice cream. It is so flippin' creamy and chocolatey and divine. It's my favorite! And YOURS looks de-lish and if I don't get outta here, I'll go sneak some of mine from the freezer. Ok, I'll shut up now. ;)

Thanks Katrina! I've only made a few so far, none of the Philly style ones yet. I'm still working my way through :)

My husband loves making home made ice cream. It is sooo much better than store bought!

I agree Debbie, but I need a whole 'nother freezer to make enough ice cream to keep my husband happy LMAO!

Frieda says:

My hubby is an ice cream fanatic, too~ This is a great book! I have made several recipes from D.L. and I have to tell you…you MUST make the Salted Butter Caramel ice cream…it's on his site. It is that good…

Frieda – I will, that sounds incredible! I actually have his White Chocolate Ice Cream chilling in the fridge right now. :)

Maria says:

I love the Perfect Scoop. So many great recipes. You can't go wrong with chocolate:)

I agree, chocolate is dreamy :)

Debs says:

We love chocolate ice cream. This recipe is so similar to mine, but I've never added cocoa powder. Will try that next time.

I think the cocoa powder might just be what pushes the intense button on the ice cream :)

Tasty Eats At Home says:

Yum yum! I finally got an ice cream maker attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer, and I love it. I've made chocolate, vanilla, vanilla with chocolate swirl, raspberry (which didn't turn out so well), butterscotch (which was wonderful, I blogged about it), and watermelon sorbet. Oh and a not-so-good lime basil sorbet. I just got David Lebovitz's book in the mail Saturday and drooled over every page. I plan to make something yummy soon, not sure what to make. How did the cinnamon turn out?

Lucy says:

This ice cream looks so gorgeous! I have made honeycomb ice cream, and have a lemon meringue ice cream on the to do list – but am scared of attempting the classics! This looks silky rich – delicious :)

Alta – I'm jealous, I want so many attachments for my KA! In time :) in time :) The cinnamon ice cream was AWESOME. i paired it with warm Milopitas (Greek Apple Pastry) and it was delicious. I will be blogging about that next week. I'll have to stop by and see what you've made so far!

Lucy – Don't be scared! I figure there's going to be failures, but most likely there will be a lot more successes. And we learn a lot from the failures, so go for it!

Pam says:

Wow, that looks SO good!

Thanks Pam, it was fabulous. But alas, gone now LOL

I have White Chocolate ice Cream in the freezer for tonight!

Memória says:

Your ice cream looks absolutely divine!! I have made plenty of ice cream and have even tried some from David Lebovitz.

Just recently, I made (and blogged about) some Mexican chocolate ice cream a few days ago that was to die for. Anyway, I love how creamy your ice cream is. I don't remember if I've tried his chocolate ice cream recipe yet. His Vanilla Bean recipe is awesome.

Memoria, I am going to have to come and check out that Mexican Chocolate! Sounds fabulous! I want to try the vanilla bean as well :)

margot says:

I can't believe I've owned The Perfect Scoop for over a year and have never made the chocolate, you've convinced me to do it!

[...] the base and it’ll taste good!   I used David Lebowitz‘s chocolate ice cream recipe (here it is online) and the result was one of the richest, creamiest chocolate ice creams I’ve ever [...]

Nancy says:

Made this today and it was the creamiest ice cream i have ever eaten. Amazing and so easy. Thanks!