Penne with Tomato Sage Sausage Sauce

I know I sound like a broken record, and that I’ve told you before about this great cookbook, The Complete 15-Minute Gourmet. But I can’t help it, really! Everything I make from this book is fabulous, I have yet to be disappointed.
The other day I was browsing through the recipes I had bent the page corners on, and I settled on this tasty sounding pasta dish. We recently bought half a pig and I have an abundance of ground pork. This particular recipes calls for bulk pork sausage, so I decided to make the same sausage I use for my pizza.
This recipe was delicious and it was very easy to put together. 15 minutes? Yes, probably, after you prep everything, but that’s how everything is in this book. You won’t be disappointed!
Penne with Tomato-Sage Sausage Sauce
8 oz penne pasta (I used almost double)
12 oz bulk pork sausage (I used a pound)
1/2 cup minced shallots (I used the shallots I had left and used green onions for the rest)
1 tsp minced garlic
2 14-oz cans diced tomatoes
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried sage (I only had ground sage, so I used about half)
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup heavy cream
freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
If you chop and measure out everything ahead of time, this recipe will come together in a snap!
Cook the penne according to package directions.
Add the sausage, shallots, and garlic to a large saute pan.

Cook over medium heat, stirring to crumble the sausage, for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned and thoroughly cooked.
Because my sausage is not from the store, but rather the farmer, it’s not as lean as most. So while there’s no step in the written recipe to drain off the fat, I had to do that.
Stir in the tomatoes, oregano, sage, and red pepper flakes. When the liquid comes to a boil, cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes.
When the penne is done, drain well, and return to the pasta pan.

Add the tomato sauce and cream (I dumped it into the pan with the tomato and sausage mixture, stirred it up then added the cream).

Stir over low heat for one minute or until warm.
Garnish the servings with Parmesan cheese.

21 Responses to Penne with Tomato Sage Sausage Sauce

TNelson says:

Long time reader – first time commenter. This looks delicious! I have booked marked it to try.

Rachel says:

This looks wonderful! I could literally eat pasta three times a day!

Frieda says:

This is a must try recipe~ I love a creamy tomato sauce…

I made something very similar last Saturday and it was good so I'm certain yours was as well.

Happy Friday!

Chef Fresco says:

This looks great – very creamy! I need a 15-minute cookbook!

Charlotte says:

Sounds yummy! I will have to try making this.

One of my very favorite dishes is very similar to this recipe. Only minus the heavy cream and diced tomatoes and instead adds 1 can of chicken broth and sliced black olives and 1 small chopped onion that's added to the Penne pasta and Italian Sausage. This recipe can be found on the food network site listed under Everday Italian Cooking with Gina D.

Bunny says:

It looks fantastic great Amanda! I tried registering for you other forum but had a heck of a time with the security number-letter thing, I must have tried it 10 times!!LOL!! I'll keep trying though!

Kevin says:

I really like using sausage for quick and tasty pastas like this one.

pinkstripes says:

I love pasta. It's always quick and easy.

Charlotte says:

I made this pasta dish last night for dinner and my sweet husband who missed lunch yesterday ate two bowls. He loved it! This is a simple and easy recipe that I will certainly make again for my family.

Thanks for sharing.
    Charlotte

Why don't you make this recipe printable?????

Hi Anonymous. Sorry I don't have that printer friendly option – one step at a time I always say :) Hopefully I'll get that implemented soon. Meanwhile, you can just copy and paste it into a text file, or if you like, email me and I can do it for you and send it you way.

georgiastrick says:

what a great recipe. i am purchasing the book and the vegetarian version of the book. thanks for the info!

You are quite welcome Georgia, you will love the book :)

Amincio says:

I use Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage for this recipe and it comes out spectacular!

[…] Bagel and Cheese Breakfast Casserole Lunch – California Club Pasta Salad Dinner – Penne with Broccoli and Sausage, Garlic […]

julie juarez says:

GIRL!!! What!?”!!*#%@””””” I love this. Eating right this moment! Yummm!

Melody Moxley says:

Loved this recipe! Was looking for a recipe to use pork sausage from the farmer (I bought 1/4 of a pig, which is now in my freezer). This’s was excellent. I used one can of tomatoes with green chili, and one plain because that was all I had. Gave it a nice kick. I will fix this again. Thanks!