Elvis Presley’s Whipping Cream Pound Cake

Repeat after me… nom, nom, nom…. mmmmm.

I had a “hankerin’” for pound cake last week. So I opened up this “shall remain nameless for now” cookbook that I received a while back. In there was a recipe for a pound cake that sounded really good. So I went about making it and using up a lot of ingredients, all for it to overflow in the pan and be a complete flop. MAD. But I got over it. Almost.

I googled the cookbook author but she doesn’t seem to have a website, so I looked up the publisher. I know exactly what the problem was, they specified using 2 round cake pans or a (singular) loaf pan. The batter filled the pan to the top and I should have known at that point something was wrong. Instead of listening to my instincts I trusted the cookbook and moved forward. Mistake.

Anyhow, I found the publisher and contacted them. They apologized and said there was a misprint and it should have been two loaf pans in the instructions. They went on to say that they hoped I would try other recipes in the book, as I had stated that I was hesitant to try others. :-/ So, before I blast away at the book, I will make the pound cake again, only this time in two loaf pans.

Sooooo, after that disaster, I was still craving some pound cake, now even more so. I have quite a few bookmarked, but settled on a post by Steph over at Obsessed with Baking. She originally found this recipe on Epicurious.

This photo is from the first time I made this in August 2009, the pictures that appear above this one are from when I made it in March 2011.
I read through Steph’s post and she made some adjustments, however I made the recipe as printed and it was absolutely fabulous! In fact, I’m afraid to make it again as I will probably eat too much.. AGAIN. Steph had some issues with a few holes in her cakes, however, I ran a knife through the batter once it was in the pan to release some of the air and rapped it on the counter a few times. I had no holes and it was melt in your mouth wonderful. :)

So without further ado, here is the deliciously soft, ever so wonderful Elvis Presley Pound Cake:

Elvis Presley’s Whipping Cream Pound Cake
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened, plus additional for buttering pan
3 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising; sift before measuring) plus additional for dusting
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups sugar
7 large eggs, at room temperature 30 minutes
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup heavy cream

Special equipment: a 10-inch tube pan (4 1/2 inches deep; not with a removable bottom) or a 10-inch bundt pan (3 1/4 inches deep; 3-qt capacity)

(I used two loaf pans, one was 9×5 and the other 8×4, so I distributed the batter evenly, according to the pans)

Put oven rack in middle position, but do not preheat oven.

Generously butter pan and dust with flour, knocking out excess flour.

Sift together sifted flour (3 cups) and salt into a bowl. Repeat sifting into another bowl (flour will have been sifted 3 times total).

Beat together butter (2 sticks) and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes in a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment or 6 to 8 minutes with a handheld mixer.

Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in vanilla.

Reduce speed to low and add half of flour, then all of cream, then remaining flour, mixing well after each addition.

Scrape down side of bowl, then beat at medium-high speed 5 minutes.

Batter will become creamier and satiny.

Spoon batter into pan and rap pan against work surface once or twice to eliminate air bubbles.

Place pan in (cold) oven and turn oven temperature to 350°F. Bake until golden and a wooden pick or skewer inserted in middle of cake comes out with a few crumbs adhering, 1 to 1 1/4 hours.

Cool cake in pan on a rack 30 minutes. Run a thin knife around inner and outer edges of cake, then invert rack over pan and invert cake onto rack to cool completely.

31 Responses to Elvis Presley’s Whipping Cream Pound Cake

Looks yummy. Whew, when I saw the ingredient list, I thought it was only for one cake. I'm really glad it was two with that much ingredients! ;)

Barbara Bakes says:

Looks better than Sara Lee!

Trevor says:

I had a similer hankering and tried for a brown sugar poundcake. I cut and paste the recipe, got the sugar amount WAY wrong (like you I progressed against my instincts) and ended up with a huge mess! My rematch the next day was successful but I think for poundcake, the classic is the best and I'm going to try this recipe next!

Frieda says:

Beautiful cake ~ don't know if it would make it to the pans in my house…I have a tendency to eat the batter!

biz319 says:

Wow, this looks so moist!

jillbert says:

That's great that you took the time to track them down and tell them what happened. What a pain to follow the directions and then waste the ingredients!

Alisa - Frugal Foodie says:

I'm glad you persisted; this is really a beautiful cake!

SUGAR B says:

AMANDA!

How can you go wrong with sticks of butter and heavy cream?

You're giving me one of those loaves, right?!

;)

Mags says:

Wow… I'm all shook up! That looks fantastic.

Sorry about your earlier mishap. I had the same thing happen once and thought the same thing that you did. I should have known better when I saw that the batter was clear to the top of the pan. Where did I think it was going to go?

So what are your plans for that other loaf? Let's see how well this fares traveling through the mail. Hear me out….we need to know if it will hold up and if it will still be as yummy once it gets to Florida! Whaddya say?

Kitchen Flavours says:

Wow…..that's as soft as snow…..looks yum……

tastyeatsathome says:

Oh my, 2 pound cakes? I wouldn't be able to stop myself from eating them. I'm not the biggest cake person, but I love a good pound cake. Wonder if I can figure out a good gluten-free version.

pinkstripes says:

Sounds delicious. I haven't made pound cake in ages.

Lynnylu says:

A hunka, a-hunka of yummy looking cake. Nice detective work.

isa says:

Beautiful pound cake!

Maria says:

Looks good! I want a slice with fresh berries:)

Barbara @ moderncomfortfood says:

Now I too have a hankering for pound cake that I might find hard to resist. This looks fabulous and quite addictive — thus perhaps explaining Elvis' chubbiness in his later years? Well done, Amanda!

Barbara – LOL about Elvis haha!

5 Star Foodie says:

That pound cake looks so soft and delicious! Excellent recipe!

Heather Davis says:

That looks amazing Amanda. Pound Cake always reminds me of my grandmother except she use to buy the Entenmann's version. Will have to give your recipe a go. Love the title of it.

Grumpy and HoneyB says:

Oh I really hate when I follow a recipe exactly and it doesn't turn out right!

Your pound cake looks really awesome – and now you've given me a hankering for one….and if I had enough eggs in my house today I'd be making this! I will be bookmarking however! Maybe for mother's day :)

I like every word in the title. I know I would consume this whole cake. ;)

Elle says:

I adore pound cake! I also like the old and the new photos. :)

Lis says:

So delighted with the cake – a snap to put together and large enough to share! Pairing with Maker's Mark Chocolate Sauce, Homemade Ice Cream and a few berries for an over the top Birthday! Thank you for your posts!

So glad you enjoyed it as much as we do!

Audra LeNormand says:

This pound cake is wonderful I have the Elvis cookbook and my Mom loves this Pound cake best. I made 4 for a Family Reunion they was gone before lunch.I Made two by the recipe and 2 with Splenda( we have several who are Diabetic including myself.) They said it was a wonderful treat!

[...] can certainly use a store bought pound cake for this. Instead, I baked my favorite – Elvis Presley’s Whipping Cream Pound Cake. The recipes makes two, so we ate one and I wrapped the second in plastic wrap and refrigerated it [...]

[...] could use homemade pound cake for this, or for convenience sake grab a prepared pound cake from the store. If you buy [...]

[...] rate, it’s worth a second try with a shorter stint in the oven. I still think my recipe for Elvis Presley’s Whipping Cream Pound Cake is the best, I haven’t found a better pound cake recipe yet. Though, the Apple Cider Pound [...]

[…] Elvis Presley’s Whipping Cream Pound Cake Apple Cider Pound Cake with Caramel Glaze Good-For-You Chocolate Pound Cake – Barbara Bakes Brown Sugar and Chocolate Chip Pound Cake with Maple-Espresso Glaze – Creative Culinary Lemon Ricotta Pound Cake with Berries – Two Peas and Their Pod […]