Ham & Bean Soup

One of the thriftiest meals on the planet has to be Bean Soup. Toss in some leftover ham, and you have bonus protein and flavor. Some have even called similar mixtures “Depression Soup”, to commemorate how many families during the Great Depression stretched pennies over several meals.

This particular recipe is a favorite, especially of my husband’s. It was given to me by a friend of mine many years ago. I try to always have a bag or two of dried beans in the cabinet, and this recipe is a tasty way to use them! You do need to plan a day ahead for this meal.
Ham and Bean Soup
2 cups of dried beans, any variety (I use 15 bean, but you can use anything)
8 cups of cold water
1/2 tsp baking soda
First, you’ll need to add the beans to a large stock pot and cover them with the water. Stir in the baking soda. This will need to soak overnight.
The next day, completely drain off the soaking water and rinse the beans well. Return beans to the pan and add:
8 cups of water
1 lb. leftover ham (or smoked sausage, ham hocks, whatever you have on hand)
1 large onion, chopped
1 14.5-oz can of peeled tomatoes (I use diced)
Bring this to a FULL boil. Turn heat down to medium for a high simmer, 2-3 hours, or until beans are tender.
Add in:
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp basil
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 – 1/2 tsp pepper
Simmer for another 30 minutes. Enjoy!
These feeds our family of 6 comfortably. :)
What did you do that was thrifty this week?

PLEASE ONLY ADD YOUR LINK IF YOU ARE PARTICIPATING IN THRIFTY THURSDAY. To participate, simply add the link to your thrifty post below (NOT TO YOUR HOMEPAGE!) and link back to this Thrifty Thursday post from yours. Leave a comment and visit the other TT links to comment on theirs. That’s it! :)

15 Responses to Ham & Bean Soup

Lynda says:

I love been soup and can't wait for cooler weather to make it! My husband won't eat it when it's so hot in the summer, but it's a favorite dish! Yours looks great!

Mari says:

This looks so good – like wonderful comfort food!

Tami says:

MMM! Your bean soup looks delicious. My Mom used to cook brown beans and then make homemade thick noodles to go in the soup. It was so good. I don't get to eat beans like this any longer because I don't bother cooking a bag of beans just for me. You're lucky that you're kids will eat them.

All week long I have been thinking that it's Thursday, today. When I see your Thrifty Thursday post, I had to check to make sure what day it really was. I swear, I'm losing it!

biz319 says:

Love ham and bean soup! I was lucky when my nephews girlfried worked at a Heavenly Ham – I got ham bones whenever I wanted!

Courtney says:

I am participating in Thrifty Thursday at:

So come on over for a homemade laundry detergent recipe and a cost analysis!!!
    Courtney

PheMom says:

That is a really great idea – and looks like a meal that would really satisfy!

The Blonde Duck says:

I haven't had this in forever! I need to try your version!

Bean soup is so hearty and total comfort food. I like having this when the weather is a bit cooler. So good with some crusty bread too!

Looks good and so simple with a little planning (that hardest part for me! ;) What does the baking soda in the soaking water do? I've never heard of doing that. Just wondering.
    The soup looks great!

Finsmom says:

What a great recipe! Some really tasty flavors going on!

foodcreate says:

Delicious!!! Love Ham and Beans!!!

Thanks for sharing your recipe:)

Welcome~~~
    and if you can visit me I can visit you:)

Have a wonderful Day ~~~

Karine says:

It reminds me of the king of soups my grandmothers makes! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Chow and Chatter says:

love ham and pea soup
    By the way I changed my address to match the blog!

Rebecca

Katrina – Believe it or not, the baking soda cuts down on the possibility of flatulence after eating beans! See this link for more info http://www.wisegeek.com/will-adding-baking-soda-to-beans-prevent-flatulence.htm :)