Farm Fresh Chicken

On Tuesday the farmer called me (I buy my beef, my turkey at Thanksgiving, and sometimes chicken from the local farmer) and said he had fresh chickens that were ready to go. Several benefits here:
1) no hormones, injections, etc
2) raised outside in natural surroundings on a farm, not in a factory
3) much larger than grocery store chickens, usually twice as big or more
4) fresh, never been frozen
These babies are big. I don’t have a kitchen scale, only my postage scale, and that tops out at 7 pounds. I was still holding quite a bit of the weight of the chicken as I tried to rest it on the scale. No go, kept topping out. I’m going to guess these were 9-10 pound chickens. I pay $10.00 per chicken.
I’m sure there were some gasps at first. $10.00? For a chicken?? Let’s think about this though. A chicken in the grocery store, on average, weighs about 4 pounds. When they go ON SALE they are $0.98/pound. So if I just bought a fresh, better for me chicken that weighs 10 pounds for $10.00, well heck, sounds like a good deal to me!
I put one in the freezer and slow roasted the other that same night. I’ve posted the recipe for Sticky Chicken that I used for this before, only that time I cooked it in the crock pot. This time I slow roasted in the oven (also in the instructions). I of course, had to add a little time and upped the temperature by 25 degrees as the recipe calls for a 4 pound chicken.
Funny thing is, when I brought this to the table my husband said “Holy crap. That looks like a mini turkey!”
Ha ha! Well look at the roasting pan the chicken is sitting in. That’s a roasting pan that holds my 25 pound turkey at Thanksgiving!
So we sat and enjoyed our fresh, no hormone, never frozen, raised on a real farm chicken. Afterward I placed the chicken in a large plastic bag and put it in the fridge overnight. The next day I removed all the meat, separating white and dark.
The dark meat I used for chicken enchiladas with homemade enchilada sauce. The white meat I still have, though I did use some of it in a tortilla wrap for lunch today.
Lastly, the carcass and a bunch of scrap onions, onion skins, celery leaves, and carrot peelings I’ve been collecting in the freezer went into a big pot of water. Brought it to a boil and simmered half the day to make lots of homemade chicken broth.
I don’t play along often enough in Fight Back Fridays, so I am entering this post in that event :)

What did you do that was thrifty this week?

PLEASE ONLY ADD YOUR LINK IF YOU ARE PARTICIPATING IN THRIFTY THURSDAY. To participate, simply add the link to your thrifty post below (NOT TO YOUR HOMEPAGE!) and link back to this Thrifty Thursday post from yours. Leave a comment and visit the other TT links to comment on theirs. That’s it! :)

12 Responses to Farm Fresh Chicken

sara says:

haha, yes, these turkey chickens are so good, and always so much leftovers to use up. I love looking at a freezer full of homemade broth too :)

Cakelaw says:

Yum! Each chicken dish sounds fantastic – and those chickens sound like a bargain to me.

Alta says:

That is quite a bargain! The farmer I buy naturally raised chickens from sells his for about $3.99/lb. Not cheap, but TOTALLY worth it. Did he sell them to you on the cheap because of the size? Were they just as tender as the smaller chickens – cause sometimes, those bigger hens get tougher. Still wonderful though, don't those naturally raised chickens have so much more flavor? And good for you for using every bit of it!

I like they way Sara put it–the turkey chickens.
    Looks beautiful. We raised chickens (and turkeys once) while I was growing up. Definitely tastier!

Oh, one of the turkeys we raised was like 27 pounds. We took a picture of it (in the roaster that we had to borrow from the lunchroom at the elementary school) next to a regular oh, 12 lb. turkey from the store in another roaster. It was amazing!
    I don't really remember, I was in my teens, but I'll bet we had turkey in our dinners forever!

That is a big chicken! Looks delicious too!

Lone Acorn says:

You have a blog full of great recipes and I wanted to let you know that I have an award waiting on my blog for you to collect. Cheers!

Tiffiny Felix says:

Thanks for your fun post! I love that you get your meat from a farmer-factory farms are horrific places. I think if people bought their meat by where it came from instead of by the price people would make different choices. I really need to see if I can find a local source for farm-raised meat. Thanks again!

Tara says:

Wow! That is a beautifully roasted bird!! I'll have to check out your recipe.

Jeff says:

Chickens from the farm remind me of what I grew up on. I can't eat grocery store chicken just because it has the bland lifeless taste to it but farm fresh ohh….droolll……

BTW that is one massive &(*&# chicken. The biggest once I have got was 7 lbs.

Great deal too! I normally pay somewhere around 2-3/lb.

Penniless Parenting says:

We have 4 chickens, relatively free range. We have to move to a smaller place with no yard, so I suggested to my husband that we eat these chickens. He was too taken aback by that idea. That's a little too farm fresh for him. :-D
    Is there supposed to be an linky widget here? Because I don't see one.

Hi Penniless :) Not anymore, I closed down Thrifty Thursday for lack of participation. This post is from last year. :) Thanks for stopping by, I'm going to check out your blog right now :)