Mandarin Orange Cheesecake

I have a cookbook called The Cheesecake Bible. I’ve been through it and bookmarked I can’t tell you how many recipes that I intend to try eventually. I LOVE cheesecake. :) Well, I’ve had some canned mandarin oranges in my pantry for a while, and I love the flavor of orange in desserts, so I settled on the Mandarin Orange Cheesecake on page 122.

This recipe is absolutely delicious! It was so good that I ended up giving the last three pieces away to a neighbor because I wanted some every time I passed by the cake plate! It’s creamy and full of orange flavor, any orange lover will adore this dessert. I did substitute drained yogurt for the sour cream simply because I didn’t have any on hand. It worked out just fine. I also used fiberts (hazelnuts) instead of almonds as that’s what I had on hand.
Let me know if you try this, is is truly fabulous!
Mandarin Orange Cheesecake
Adapted from The Cheesecake Bible by George Geary
Crust:
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
3/4 cup almonds, toasted and ground (I used filberts AKA hazelnuts)
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
Filling:
3 packages (each 8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
4 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream (I used vanilla yogurt)
1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
1-1/2 Tablespoons orange zest, preferably mandarin
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 small mandarin oranges, broken into segments (can substitute 1 can (10 ounces) mandarin orange segments, drained)
Topping:
1-1/2 cup sour cream (I used vanilla yogurt)
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice, preferably mandarin
Decoration:
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare pan: 9-inch cheesecake pan, ungreased, or springform pan with 3-inch sides, greased.
Crust:
In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, almonds, and butter. Press into bottom of cheesecake pan and freeze.
Filling:
In a mixer bowl fitted with paddle attachment, beat cream cheese, butter and sugar on medium-high speed until very smooth, for 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Stir in sour cream, orange juice concentrate, orange zest and vanilla. Fold in orange segments by hand.
Pour over frozen crust, smoothing out to sides of pan. Bake in preheated oven until top is light brown and center has a slight jiggle to it, 45 to 55 minutes. Let cool on the counter for 10 minutes (do not turn the oven off). The cake will sink slightly.
Topping:
In a small bowl, combine sour cream, sugar and orange juice. Pour into center of cooled cake and spread out to edges. Bake for 5 minutes more. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 2 hours. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours before decorating or serving.
Decoration:
In a well-chilled bowl, whip cream on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. With the mixer still running, sprinkle sugar into cream and continue whipping until firm peaks form. Ice top of cheesecake or pipe a border around cake, if desired.

NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit http://www.amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html

20 Responses to Mandarin Orange Cheesecake

Heidi says:

I want that cookbook! My friend at work brought an amazing pumpkin cheesecake recipe the other day and I can't wait to get my hands on that recipe. YUM YUM :P

Barbara Bakes says:

Looks creamy and delicious. I love the design on the topping!

Chow and Chatter says:

this looks amazing

MaryBeth says:

OMG…All I can say is YUM!!!

Culinary Cory says:

I can't believe how light and creamy your cheesecake looks. I love the idea of using mandarin oranges. Such a unique twist on cheesecake.

Chef Fresco says:

Looks very moist and delicious!

That is one delicious looking cheesecake Amanda! I'd love to try this….

I think this should be cruel and unusual punishment! ;)
    Seriously, it looks SOOO good!

Yum, that sounds refreshing. Looks Great, too!

Hope you had a Happy & safe 4th!

finsmom says:

Such a heavenly sounding cheesecake! I love madarin oranges :)

pinkstripes says:

Your cheesecake looks amazing!

SUGAR B says:

What an awesome cheesecake! :)

TeaLady says:

I love mandarin oranges in cheese cake – with a little coconut and cherry it is very tropical.

This recipe does well with splenda by the way. I rarely put sugar in my cheesecakes, cause I like to go low carb when I can (course with Dorie….. nuff said.)

Looks delicious.

Rachelle @ "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" says:

This caught my eye in your sidebar, YUM! It looks so good! I may have to bookmark this one.

Thanks Rachelle :) It's Very yummy, you will definitely enjoy it, I know I did!

[...] I’ve tried has been a success, including this amazing Tiramisu Cheesecake, this fabulous Mandarin Orange Cheesecake and my favorite of all of them, this English Trifle [...]

[…] want to sit down with a fork and a huge slice of this Mandarin Orange Cheesecake by Amanda’s Cookin’, while watching the newest episode of Mr. […]

Mary Hodges says:

Amanda, this looks incredible. I can’t wait to try it. Can you tell me the best way to get the cheesecake off the bottom of the spring form pan and onto a serving plate? I’ve never figured that out…and I never want to mess up my gorgeous cheesecake trying a way that doesn’t work…

• 18.1

Hi Mary! I have used an icing spatula and slid it underneath the cheesecake to slide it onto the cake plate. You could also use an oversized piece of parchment paper on the bottom of the pan. This will leave edges of paper sticking out, but when you remove the sides you should be able to lift the cheesecake with the paper :)

[…] Mandarin Orange Cheesecake […]