Thrifty Thursday: Week #14

I am not a gardener. Don’t get me wrong, I wish I was! I am trying this year to grow some tomatoes and peppers, I am just hoping I don’t kill them. I’ve never really had a green thumb.

However, much to my delight, I was standing on my deck the other day looking out toward my side yard where there’s a cluster of trees growing. See we just bought this house about a year and a half ago, and last spring we had a new well put in. Therefore, in the spot I am gazing upon now, there were massive piles of mud, rock and dirt. Therefore, any perennials that might have been planted there had really no chance of surfacing.
Well this year, I spied with my little eye something that looked like rhubarb. And low and behold it was rhubarb! I’m not quite sure when it’s “mature” so I will need to look it up, but I haven’t had rhubarb since I was a kid. I was very excited to see this FREE vegetable growing in my yard. :)
What did you do or discover this week that was thrifty?

PLEASE ONLY ADD YOUR LINK IF YOU ARE PARTICIPATING IN THRIFTY THURSDAY. To participate, simply add the link to your thrifty post below (NOT TO YOUR HOMEPAGE!) and link back to this Thrifty Thursday post from yours. Leave a comment and visit the other TT links to comment on theirs. That’s it! :)

7 Responses to Thrifty Thursday: Week #14

Mari says:

How cool! We have rhubarb and I love it. That looks like it’s pretty close to being ready.
    PS – I posted a recipe for rhubarb coffee cake on my recipe blog last week.

MaryBeth says:

I hope all goes well in the growing dept, I would kill it for sure. I love rhubarb, I love to make strawberry rhubarb sauce.

Tami says:

Cool find! We used to have rhubarb growing in our garden when I was growing up. Yum!

Cheri Sicard says:

I love rhubarb and had it growing in MA where I grew up. We have lots of great rhubarb recipes at FabulousFoods.com if you need inspiration. And remember, only eat the stalks, the leaves of rhubarb are toxic.

This week I posted about a fun frugal snack, chicken wings. Hope you all enjoy.

Tami says:

I knew to only eat the stalks of the rhubarb but I didn’t know that the leaves were toxic. Good info. to know!

Erin Orr says:

My mother-in-law has rhubarb in her garden (as she does each year). I’ve only had rhubarb in a pie, which was how my grandmother made it. I hated it. I thought rhubarb was an “old lady vegetable”, but it seems to be pretty hot right now in the food blogging world. I might get adventurous and try something with it! You’ve inspired me!

Thanks Cheri, I didn’t know the leaves were poisonous until this morning when I was reading about it.

Erin – I found a recipe for a cream cheese pie with a sweet rhubarb sauce on the bottom half. It looks delish, I will blog about it when I make it! I have found quite a few I want to try. Problem I have is I am not much for crisps and cobblers, never have been. Cheesecakes and frosted cakes are more my speed. :)